Advertisement

Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 479 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: Marvel: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premieres Tonight

Postby Rockman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 am

I guess I'm confused about how Taskmasters abilities work. He doesn't get to keep them over time if he wants?

and I liked last night's episode. Yeah the cake line was goof central, but it was an overall fun episode. I'll echo what many others have said and that given time a lot of these issues should be resolved.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 am

Victorian Squid wrote:What would The Taskmaster do, pick up a bunch of skills none of the cast actually have? He's only interesting when he's fighting skilled opponents.

he's not fucking Super-Adaptoid...he doesn't pick up powers, he has photographic reflexes. he can pick up any move he's ever seen done, be it live or on camera, etc. so he could've seen Cap on TV and mimic his moves, which would then clearly make him a match for Coulson, Ward, May and the 3 dorks. that's an easy explanation on TV for a tough baddie, and would provide a foe they'd really have to work together and be creative to beat. sounds like a fine idea to me
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 700 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am

chap22 wrote:he's not fucking Super-Adaptoid...he doesn't pick up powers, he has photographic reflexes. he can pick up any move he's ever seen done, be it live or on camera, etc. so he could've seen Cap on TV and mimic his moves, which would then clearly make him a match for Coulson, Ward, May and the 3 dorks. that's an easy explanation on TV for a tough baddie, and would provide a foe they'd really have to work together and be creative to beat. sounds like a fine idea to me

Yeah, he could watch Cap throwing his shield, Houdini picking locks, Steve McQueen driving, Bruce Lee fighting in general and give the Agents of SHIELD a tough time.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am

HNutz wrote:
Yeah, he could watch Cap throwing his shield, Houdini picking locks, Steve McQueen driving, Bruce Lee fighting in general and give the Agents of SHIELD a tough time.

Guys with machine guns have given the Agents a tough time. This episode, the pool staff gave James Bond Jr. a tough time. I'm thinking Captain Hangnail or Toothache Lass would present something of a challenge to the gang.

The team needs to reliably beat the jobbers before they can have a shot at the title...

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby KingPagla » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:39 am

All the hate is pure Internets foolishness.
The show is fine, and will most likely keep getting better.

And yeah, Taskmaster would be perfect for the show.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 928 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am

HNutz wrote:

Or read posts here and copied them against the agents.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 690 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:48 am

KingPagla wrote:All the hate is pure Internets foolishness.

Perhaps the point of this show is to drive home how the Marvel Earth NEEDS The Avengers because even the supposed 'best' of the regular humans can barely get by?
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 am

Strict31 wrote:
I started watching it at work. There are long stretches of time when it's just mind-numbingly dull, and the boss literally doesn't care if I turn on the TV. After watching it for a while, I realized two things: Cote de Pablo is hot, and Michael Weatherly is that dude from Dark Angel who fucked Jessica Alba back when she had enough booty to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

But since Cote de Pablo left the show, it's just not calling to me anymore. It remains to be seen if they hire a new chick who is hot enough to keep me watching.

That was my reason. :-D

Considering that they're crying costs, I doubt they will bring one in. If they do...
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:53 am

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:09 pm

outsider wrote:Perhaps the point of this show is to drive home how the Marvel Earth NEEDS The Avengers because even the supposed 'best' of the regular humans can barely get by?

Initially, I had hoped the point of the show would be to introduce new concepts and characters to the movie-verse, and to explore in greater depth concepts and characters introduced from the movies.

Which, to a degree, they've done. We certainly know more now about Phil other than "his first name is 'Agent'".

But I also hope it means villains and heroes from the comics (Like Graviton, obviously) that they just don't have the time to develop in the movie-verse. Maybe to introduce such characters on the small screen to see how they might play out on the big screen.

Of course, it also has to be a show that stands on its own two feet in the meantime, shared universe notwithstanding. And that's kinda the problem it's having. But here's to hoping it builds a more stable footing with its cast.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:10 pm

KingPagla wrote:All the hate is pure Internets foolishness.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with critical analysis, which most of us seem to be doing, as opposed to just blindly ripping on it without basis.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Strict31 wrote:
Initially, I had hoped the point of the show would be to introduce new concepts and characters to the movie-verse, and to explore in greater depth concepts and characters introduced from the movies.

Which, to a degree, they've done. We certainly know more now about Phil other than "his first name is 'Agent'".

But I also hope it means villains and heroes from the comics (Like Graviton, obviously) that they just don't have the time to develop in the movie-verse. Maybe to introduce such characters on the small screen to see how they might play out on the big screen.

Of course, it also has to be a show that stands on its own two feet in the meantime, shared universe notwithstanding. And that's kinda the problem it's having. But here's to hoping it builds a more stable footing with its cast.
All valid points, but they're not going to make AoS into a truly elite fighting team. It's Marvel - they're going to want dysfunction and against-the-odds stacked decks.

I do wish they would get into some more of the costume-y stuff. AIM wasn't used to its full potential in IM3, so why not import that concept (since they already used Extremis, why not?). Let's get the beekeeper costumes out!
-

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 pm

The title of the show is factually correct but does not convey the concept. It's like a mobile more-field-active X-Files.
-

KingPagla
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby KingPagla » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 pm

outsider wrote:The title of the show is factually correct but does not convey the concept. It's like a mobile more-field-active X-Files.

"Mobile More-Field-Active X-Files" is a terrible title. :smt011

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:53 pm

outsider wrote:The title of the show is factually correct but does not convey the concept. It's like a mobile more-field-active X-Files.

It's funny because I had mentioned NCIS earlier, but the show feels to me like "NCIS in the Marvel Universe".

I get that vibe more than an X-Files vibe, because unlike Mulder and Scully, these investigators aren't outsiders, which, despite being members of the FBI, they totally were. Mulder's bosses were frequently reluctant to even acknowledge or validate the shit he and Scully uncovered.

With SHIELD, it might have been more of an X-Files vibe if the Chitauri incident had never happened, but now, everything is out in the full light of day. Nobody in upper management thinks these agents are crazy for believing the shit they investigate, so you don't really get that sense of isolation which was so vital to the mood and themes of the X-Files. Ziva David could easily walk right onto the SHIELD plane and fall into the same rhythm she had in NCIS. Conversely, Agent Coulson could walk into the NCIS offices without missing a beat and pretty much do the same job.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum