Advertisement

Marvel Planning to Lower S.H.I.E.L.D. Quality to Increase Ratings

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Re: Marvel Planning to Lower S.H.I.E.L.D. Quality to Increas

Postby Nightfly » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The Motley Fool is usually a fun read, but you have to work pretty hard at spinning to try and make a 52% drop in ratings since the pilot sound like cause for anything but attempting to correct the course of the show before the decision to renew or not comes. And the show has lost a big percentage of that coveted demographic they cite in the article since it was written. The network tried to show their confidence by immediately giving the order for a full season, but rumors now are that they are hoping to be able to squeeze in a season two in service to The Avengers 2 movie and then kaput if things don't turn around.

That second season is now spoken of as not certain, however. (i think they have to go for a season two in tandem with the movie, but the show clearly can't stand on its own if ratings don't do a 180.) Remember the show No Ordinary Family? It was cancelled after one season but had better ratings by its 7th episode than Agents Of SHIELD does.

Maybe it'll just become a Netflix series.
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 266 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The Motley Fool is usually a fun read, but you have to work pretty hard at spinning to try and make a 52% drop in ratings since the pilot sound like cause for anything but attempting to correct the course of the show before the decision to renew or not comes. And the show has lost a big percentage of that coveted demographic they cite in the article since it was written. The network tried to show their confidence by immediately giving the order for a full season, but rumors now are that they are hoping to be able to squeeze in a season two in service to The Avengers 2 movie and then kaput if things don't turn around.

That second season is now spoken of as not certain, however. (i think they have to go for a season two in tandem with the movie, but the show clearly can't stand on its own if ratings don't do a 180.) Remember the show No Ordinary Family? It was cancelled after one season but had better ratings by its 7th episode than Agents Of SHIELD does.

You don't think its significant that it increased the ratings by 105% for that time slot according to that article?

It seems to me when you have a show that brings in 20 million viewers like that NCIS show you're going to struggle to put anything in that time slot to really compete against that.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:02 pm

I've stopped trusting MF concerning anything involving Disney.

geekinlyesmith
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Legen- Wait for it...

Postby geekinlyesmith » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:57 pm

AoS is one of the few geeky shows my wife will sit down and watch with me. She loves it. I don't think it's fair to look at the ratings in the beginning and judge the show on it's ratings compared to now. Of COURSE it's ratings were going to be sky-high. All the hype leading up to it, and the fact that it's tied into the Avengers movies, everyone who was a fan of the movies is going to tune in at first, then all the sudden it's "Waaaait a minute... Where's Captain America? Where's Iron Man? You mean this is a season-long TV show and my tiny little attention span isn't going be fed immediate super-heroes, explosions and conclusions to storylines within the hour?" And viewers start dropping.

As far as the characters, the only non-agent is Skye, and even she's training to become one. That makes sense. It introduces the audience, through Skye's prospective, to SHIELD and how it works.
Fitz and Simmons, while not FIELD Agents, are still a really important part of the show. Especially when you look at Joss' formula for past shows. It's all about the ensemble, and sometimes it takes a bit for the show to get it's momentum. Angel, for example. Terrible first season, really awesome by the time it ended. But you look at Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, they all have a core group of characters that fit certain little niches. Willow, sometimes Oz, sometimes Wesley, Fred, Simon, Book, Topher... Fitz and Simmons. They might not seem important at first, maybe even in the way, but they're the heart and soul of the group that help mediate and keep everyone together. They end up being the Samwise Gamgees of the group. The conscience.

So, I think being linked to the movies is keeping it bogged down. They want to keep enough links to the superheroes to keep people coming back for pieces of that, but the show isn't ABOUT the superheroes. It's about SHIELD and the men and women who are dealing with a world full of things that they don't understand and a world that's changing uncontrollably. If you're expecting superheroes, you're watching the wrong show. This is specifically NOT about the superheroes, but the non-super heroes and the world around the superheroes. I think once you stop looking at it as an Avengers Mini-Movie and giving it all those expectations, the show stops being so disappointing.

but that's just my opinion.

Bond Hengbu
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby Bond Hengbu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 am

I am glad i did not give it a shot.
" Power has two faces:

It's original form is as loathsome and obscene as it can be. only when you grab it, it turns into a kind face"

King Geum-Wa from Jumong

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum