Advertisement

MGS4, and the lack of sad games.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

MGS4, and the lack of sad games.

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:19 pm

http://kotaku.com/5019167/metal-gear-so ... -sad-games

MGS4 is the rare effort of video game blues and tragedy. Gamers are used to being asked to save the day and be the hero. Metal Gear Solid 4 is so unusual in that it's the rare game that asks them to be interested in something else: a march toward defeat, an interactive tragedy.

Pretty good little article.. I agree with it.

This may not be some people's cup o' tea, but just like with movies.. I definitely think there's a room for these types of games/stories in video games.

I would love to see more games that don't necessarily end on a happy note.

Advertisement

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:46 pm

That should be interesting. I need to play a MG game before thinking about this one though. There's just so many...

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:That should be interesting. I need to play a MG game before thinking about this one though. There's just so many...

You should just do what Deadfett did. He went into this one cold, having only read the wiki pages for the previous games to get the story.

This is by far the best MG game so far.

But incase you're interested, the chronology:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear (MSX2)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

Only MGS1 and 2 are really necessary for the gist of the story, though.

MGS3 is a prequel set in the 60's, and the two original games for MSX are just backstory that don't really have much bearing on the story.

It's by far the most epic, and tragic story I think I've ever seen/played.. maybe in any format, film or game.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm

It's on my short list of games to buy with the PS3... when we finally get one. I guess I'll pick up some of the older games in the meantime. It's just one of those series I haven't gotten around to yet, but always looked good.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:It's on my short list of games to buy with the PS3... when we finally get one. I guess I'll pick up some of the older games in the meantime. It's just one of those series I haven't gotten around to yet, but always looked good.

I thought you weren't interested because of the cutscenes... :?

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:00 pm

DaReekstah wrote:I thought you weren't interested because of the cutscenes... :?

Long cut scenes are a HUGE turn-off to me, because I don't like being forced to sit through them. But I have yet to hear much of anything negative about this game other than it might be TOO good... which kinda sells me on it.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:05 pm

I just finished Act II last night. After watching the cutscenes with Naomi I totally agree you Reek. Not everything needs a happy ending.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:Long cut scenes are a HUGE turn-off to me, because I don't like being forced to sit through them. But I have yet to hear much of anything negative about this game other than it might be TOO good... which kinda sells me on it.

Yes, this game is f'n amazing. I'm on my second playthrough.

This one definitely has the longest cutscenes of the series, though. The first one on PS1 wasn't as bad in that deptartment. MGS2 had somewhat long-ish ones, but still not as bad.

I do think some of the early estimates on cutscene length in this were exaggerations, though.

I think there are two major cutscenes that are very long.. like.. a little over an hour. Maybe pushing 90 minutes, like the estimates said. But they're split up. It's not continuous. They go like.. 20 minutes, then a couple of minutes' break of talking, or gameplay, followed by another 20 minutes. Etc.

But it honestly doesn't feel like it. I mean, I wasn't watching the time during my first playthrough.. I was on the edge of my seat during the cutscenes as if they were a regular movie (the graphics are THAT good)..

And you can always skip them (though you become much more invested in the story and the game if you don't)

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:20 pm

So this game has hour long cut scenes and is emo too? Wow...and people like this? Does it make you want to start cutting yourself?

:P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Aaron_W wrote:So this game has hour long cut scenes and is emo too? Wow...and people like this? Does it make you want to start cutting yourself?

I dunno. Do movies that don't necessarily have happy endings make people want to start cutting themselves? Or comics? Books?

I hope you didn't see 300. :shock: :P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Also.. didn't really want to start a new thread, since I just started an MGS-related thread with this..

According to Kotaku, one of the MGS4 producers confirmed that the franchise could continue with MGS5. Hideo Kojima won't work on it though.

And, I've heard opposing rumors.. one is that it would star Big Boss and be a prequel, according to Kotaku.. and the other is that it could once again star Snake, along with Raiden as both playable characters.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:29 pm

DaReekstah wrote:I dunno. Do movies that don't necessarily have happy endings make people want to start cutting themselves? Or comics? Books?

I hope you didn't see 300. :shock: :P

Well you showed Emoboy with the tear coming out so I wasn't sure if this was the video game version of a My Chemical Romance album or something. ;)

I did see 300 but the staggering amount of homoerotic posing was hard to handle at times. To be honest I was rooting for the Persians.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Aaron_W wrote:Well you showed Emoboy with the tear coming out so I wasn't sure if this was the video game version of a My Chemical Romance album or something. ;)

I did see 300 but the staggering amount of homoerotic posing was hard to handle at times. To be honest I was rooting for the Persians.

That image is photoshopped, ya boob!

Homoerotic posing scares you?

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 pm

DaReekstah wrote:That image is photoshopped, ya boob!

Homoerotic posing scares you?

It doesn't scare me! And it definitely doesn't turn me on!! IT DOES NOT!!! :evil:

The Juan Percenter
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby The Juan Percenter » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:34 pm

I'd rather spend my video game trying to virtually bang the blue alien in Mass Effect then get a good cry from MG4.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum