Advertisement

Michael Jordan to Play Johnny Storm in New Fantastic Four Movie?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Re: Michael Jordan to Play Johnny Storm in New Fantastic Fou

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat May 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Keb wrote:I think she's white. There was an article about it the other day.

To be honest, I don't care about the race or color of the character. I just want to see a good movie. I don't want to believe it's just pandering to the PCs or any of that until I actually get to see the man act the role. That's why this shit upsets me; no one has seen the guy act the role yet but everyone is quick to write it off as "unnecessary race-bending". It's like the dude hasn't even had the chance to act and people are already telling him he won't do a good job because he's black or that he doesn't belong because he's black. That type of shit has been making black people angry for years now.

Black dudes can be reckless, hotheaded womanizing people. So can white dudes. I know enough white dudes who drive like maniacs and skeet and retreat in women. What makes it different?

Well it's different because for half a century Johnny Storm has been a white guy. I'm judging the casting before I've seen it, because I know this actor can't convince me he's white without CGI. In this case, you have to change things about the character to make it work, when you could just add a black character that exists in the comics.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 830 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat May 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Comic book movies change stuff all the time, either to dumb things down to fit decades of character development into a two hour movie or to make things more appealing to a wide moviegoing audience. Johnny and Sue Storm's relationship is that of brother and sister, and there's no reason that relationship would have to change significantly because they are step-siblings, half-siblings, or adopted siblings. Honestly, they don't have to address it all. Most people today are mature enough to not care. I'm not familiar with the actor, but if he's good for the part, I say, why not? It's not like this is going to be some faithful word for word adaptation of the comics.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles can't be alien turtles, even if they look and act the same way.

I think they race-swap because its the only change most comics fans won't dare question.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Alternatively, he could have given the best audition, which is the most likely explanation.

Possibly, but a more likely scenario is that the director just wants to reunite with his Chronicle star. It's doubtful that a black dude would even audition for Johnny Storm if the guy who directed his breakout movie role wasn't also the director of FF: Reborn.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 04, 2013 3:50 pm

So far screenwriters haven't even been able to turn in a good Fantastic Four script, there is a zero percent chance of them portraying a family with kids adopted from other races with any honesty or value to anyone outside of headlines-grabbing, in this case.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 824 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Punchy wrote:
You won't say that once you've seen the movie.

Kingsley is perfect for their take on the character.

Like Sam Jackson for Nick Fury? Sam was awesome due to his inherent coolness. Or Michael Clarke Duncan (RIP) as Kingpin?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat May 04, 2013 3:59 pm

I was fine with Kingpin being black in the Daredevil movie. I was fine with Heimdall being black in Thor. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Hell, I actually really loved Kerry Washington being Alicia Masters in the last round of FF movies.

There's just something about this particular casting rumor which doesn't sit well with me. Someone suggested having Reed (or even Ben) be black, rather than Johnny, and I actually think that'd work out better. But breaking up the Storms and having Johnny be adopted or vice versa, or having both of them be black is odd to me for some reason. I really can't put my finger on why, especially since I do like Michael B. Jordan as an actor a lot.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 4:00 pm

Keb wrote:Just came back from Spadina. I'm all like :x

:P Try living out here in the Scarborough/Markham area part of town.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Chris wrote:I was fine with Kingpin being black in the Daredevil movie. I was fine with Heimdall being black in Thor. Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. Hell, I actually really loved Kerry Washington being Alicia Masters in the last round of FF movies.

There's just something about this particular casting rumor which doesn't sit well with me. Someone suggested having Reed (or even Ben) be black, rather than Johnny, and I actually think that'd work out better. But breaking up the Storms and having Johnny be adopted or vice versa, or having both of them be black is odd to me for some reason. I really can't put my finger on why, especially since I do like Michael B. Jordan as an actor a lot.

What's biting you here is that it's blatant racism in the casting and just the latest in a long line. He' not bringing anything really to the role except being black. hence the blatant. His being a good actor is meaningless as so many white actors are just as good or better, same with Asian actors, Hispanic... so why change? Why is it that nearly every movie, we have to have a race change and it's white to black?

But sometimes, as we both note, the change works... not for the change of race, IMO, but due to the actor and also partly due to not really changing that much of the source material.

Plus, sometimes the change has to do with box office draw.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm

If they're gonna keep them as siblings, it would be a needless distraction from the story. You know what happens when your brothers and you look like you represent disparate races? You end up having to explain that everywhere you go when you're together as a family, or have it left as an open question hanging in the air--now, that's not a complaint, mind you, it's just what happens and it happens all the time from your earliest memory to adulthood. People are curious. In real life, it happens so often that you learn at an early age how to give people the explanation they want quickly through repetition, but that's not going to be useful in the script for an FF movie. So if they did it, it would just be for a) publicity & headlines, and b) played for cheap laugh-lines in the movie. It would be pure bullshit.

You know what would happen if black-Johnny Storm took, say, Franklin or Valeria to the mall? Some people would stare suspiciously, and some of them would even actually draw him aside and demand to know his personal business, as though they're for some reason entitled to it. If he were to pick them up from school, the teacher or even policeman might suddenly take a real interest in those details too. All those things have happened to me and none of them are uncommon, that's not speculation.

Everyone wants to insist "everything else is the same, it's all the same"--well-intentioned though they are, they have no fucking clue, not an inkling, in almost every case. It's NOT the same, it's completely unlike anything you can imagine unless you've lived it. It's insulting to have people who've grown up all biologically and socially in unison, white or black, continually insist otherwise. None of you have any idea or refuse to admit (because you're afraid of being racist) the extent to which biology plays into social interactions and family life. On this, me and my bros can agree.

If someone wants to tell that kind of story, write your script and write it true. But it's not the FF's story. The FF's story just doesn't need the added dynamic, it's already perfect as-is.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat May 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Unless you're trying to attract a large black audience.

Hab

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat May 04, 2013 5:56 pm

habitual wrote:Unless you're trying to attract a large black audience.

Hab

Hate to admit it, but I think you nailed it.

Black people do like to see white characters turned black far more than seeing black characters. Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, James Bond and Doctor Who are all 'white' (Dianna is a Greek goddess, and Doctor Who is an alien, but whatever), and black celebrities were pushing to be these characters. Not to mention the Honeymooners, Steel Magnolias, and other black versions of white films that end up appealing nearly exclusively to black people. When Halle Berry got the role of Storm, she bitched about it. I can't remember an internet crusade to get a black person cast as a black person.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 56 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Sat May 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
I think they race-swap because its the only change most comics fans won't dare question.

...what?

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat May 04, 2013 6:12 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
...what?

I said, "I think they race-swap because its the only change most comics fans won't dare question."

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 334 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:If they're gonna keep them as siblings, it would be a needless distraction from the story. You know what happens when your brothers and you look like you represent disparate races? You end up having to explain that everywhere you go when you're together as a family, or have it left as an open question hanging in the air--now, that's not a complaint, mind you, it's just what happens and it happens all the time from your earliest memory to adulthood. People are curious. In real life, it happens so often that you learn at an early age how to give people the explanation they want quickly through repetition, but that's not going to be useful in the script for an FF movie. So if they did it, it would just be for a) publicity & headlines, and b) played for cheap laugh-lines in the movie. It would be pure bullshit.

You know what would happen if black-Johnny Storm took, say, Franklin or Valeria to the mall? Some people would stare suspiciously, and some of them would even actually draw him aside and demand to know his personal business, as though they're for some reason entitled to it. If he were to pick them up from school, the teacher or even policeman might suddenly take a real interest in those details too. All those things have happened to me and none of them are uncommon, that's not speculation.

Everyone wants to insist "everything else is the same, it's all the same"--well-intentioned though they are, they have no fucking clue, not an inkling, in almost every case. It's NOT the same, it's completely unlike anything you can imagine unless you've lived it. It's insulting to have people who've grown up all biologically and socially in unison, white or black, continually insist otherwise. None of you have any idea or refuse to admit (because you're afraid of being racist) the extent to which biology plays into social interactions and family life. On this, me and my bros can agree.

If someone wants to tell that kind of story, write your script and write it true. But it's not the FF's story. The FF's story just doesn't need the added dynamic, it's already perfect as-is.

My dad was white. He is as society would call him my "step-father", but he's my father. To the day he died, people could not understand the idea that he was my father and I was his son simply because our skin tones were different. I actually do know what that situation is like. I actually know what it's like to be stared at and to be questioned about having a white family member. "He's white. He can't be your dad." Those are actual words I had to put up with as a kid. My answer was "He is married to my mom so he is my dad."

It shouldn't be a thing. The movie shouldn't make it a thing. People shouldn't make it a thing. If the movie feels the need to address it and does so in a non-genuine manner, that's a bone we can pick with the movie but the movie has to be made first. It shouldn't be a thing though.

It honestly never really crosses my mind that my dad was white when I think about him. It never really was an issue for us. It was an issue for people around us (not limited to much of our extended family), but we never let their issues into our lives.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum