Saturday, November 25, 2017 • Morning Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Michelle Obama requires an unprecedented staff of 22...or 24

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:39 am

You in “big corporate jobs,” how much do you pay your “special assistants” and “deputy directors”? You don’t have any? How strange.

In her speech to the Democratic Convention, Michelle Obama said she’d sacrificed a lucrative career in order to serve her country. “In my own life, in my own small way, I have tried to give back to this country that has given me so much,” she said. “See, that’s why I left a job at a big law firm for a career in public service.”

But I'm not clear on exactly what she was “giving back” to do “public service.” Byron York writes:

In 2006, the Chicago Tribune reported that Mrs. Obama’s compensation at the University of Chicago Hospital, where she is a vice president for community affairs, jumped from $121,910 in 2004, just before her husband was elected to the Senate, to $316,962 in 2005, just after he took office.

The National Review's blog later updated the story:

(I)n the list of earmarks (then-Sen. Obama) requested, $1 million was requested for the construction of a new hospital pavilion at the University Of Chicago. The request was put in in 2006.

At the time, Michelle Obama was still vice president of community affairs. She kept her job until a few weeks before she moved into the White House.

Now, as First Lady, Michelle Obama, gets no salary. She has no official duties. But her “public service” still costs taxpayers a lot. Apparently she requires a staff of 22. Dr. Paul L. Williams says that includes:

1. $172,2000 - Sher, Susan (CHIEF OF STAFF)

2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (DEPUTY ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL SECRETARY)

4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

5. Winter, Melissa E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

6. $90,000 - Medina, David S. (DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

7. $84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (DIRECTOR AND PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)

8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND ADVANCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)

10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)

11. Reinstein, Joseph B. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)

12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND EVENTS COORDINATOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)

13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF ADVANCE AND TRIP DIRECTOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)

14. Lewis, Dana M. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT AND PERSONAL AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)

15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)

16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT FOR SCHEDULING AND TRAVELING AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)

17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

18. Tubman, Samantha (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR,SOCIAL OFFICE)

19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)

20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (STAFF ASSISTANT TO THE SOCIAL SECRETARY)

21. Bookey, Natalie (STAFF ASSISTANT)

22. Jackson, Deilia A. (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

Maybe this is just a normal staff for first ladies? No.

Factcheck.org, a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania, looked into the claim that the number of Michelle Obama’s staffers was “unprecedented.”

White House telephone directory records indicate that Hillary Clinton had at least a staff of 13 as of October 1993; 18 as of April 1997; and 19 as of March 2000…

We contacted Katie McCormick Lelyveld, Michelle Obama’s press secretary, to check the list’s accuracy. Lelyveld told us in an e-mail that the first lady’s current staff size is actually 24, not 22.

Lelyveld said that Michelle Obama’s staff was actually no different than that of… Laura Bush. “(I)nsinuations otherwise are wrong," she said.

Lelyveld said that the White House’s "personnel records indicate" that there were 24 staffers for Laura Bush at some point. We were… able to verify at least 18 staffers for Laura Bush, as of June 30, 2008, via the 2008 White House staff list published in The Washington Post’s White House Watch column… It’s possible that someone with the title of "staff assistant" was assigned to the Office of First Lady as well, as is the case with Michelle Obama’s staff.

The First Lady's press office has not responded to a request for comment.

Examiner.com points out that the list of 20+ staffers does not include:

(T)he myriad cooks, butlers, gardeners, chauffeurs, and other functionaries needed to operate the Executive Mansion. Nor does this number include the large (but classified) number of security personnel detailed to protect her and her children.

I knew President Obama was interested in creating jobs, but didn’t think so many would be working inside the White House.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/johnstossel/20 ... rvice.html

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am

She's providing jobs!

daitong

penile prisoner

Postby daitong » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:45 am

That's it, I'm never voting for Obama again! :x

Wiki-Snake

cheese

Postby Wiki-Snake » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:56 am

Maybe she's trying to compete with Kate Gosselin :?

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:00 am

I like where I rank among those people..money-wise and job-wise.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 am

CountD wrote:I like where I rank among those people..money-wise and job-wise.
Those salaries aren't that high for someone living in D.C., are they?

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 am

The Obama Llama is not amused at this $#!t.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:04 am

cncoyle wrote:Those salaries aren't that high for someone living in D.C., are they?

the salaries aren't that good for what you'd think is a demanding job.

I bet I even have more travel and what not.

Potter Who

penile prisoner

Postby Potter Who » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 am

Frankly, that doesn't sound like that many. True, most of the first lady's job functions are symbolic or ceremonial, she sometimes does need to stay quite busy and keep up the good public image.

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:18 am

HartyPotter wrote:Frankly, that doesn't sound like that many. True, most of the first lady's job functions are symbolic or ceremonial, she sometimes does need to stay quite busy and keep up the good public image.
That's how I feel as well.

It's somewhat sexist how it's expected that the First Lady will have causes to champion, yet doesn't get paid at all. It's not unlike a preacher's wife--an unpaid position with all sorts of expectations.

Doc Jon

Rain Partier

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 am

She's an unprecedented woman.

Jack Burton

Fagorstorm

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:26 am

Off topic but Armbuster is a kick ass last name.

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:32 am

Jack Burton wrote:Off topic but Armbuster is a kick ass last name.

I would drop my first name and go by that alone.

Snug

Flying Mongoose

Postby Snug » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:31 am

Anybody who needs a staff of 22 people to tell them what to do and where and when is either horrifically disorganized, dumb as a sack of hammers, or both.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 am

At least it's an even number.

leave a comment with facebook