Advertisement

More reasons to hate post-secondary institutions

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 218 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

More reasons to hate post-secondary institutions

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 pm

So I get an email today saying "Your student account has a balance. The date for paying without getting a service charge in June 15th. Please pay soon." Whatever...

I paid it last Friday, it said I owed whatever, I owed, so I paid it. Today, I check my financial statement and it says I owe what I paid plus another $6. I am not happy.

I should have received received that email about the service charge BEFORE June 15th, not 9 days after...
SHABBA!

Advertisement

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Postby Psivage » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:04 pm

That does seem off. Raise a fit about it.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

I plan on it. I want my $6 back!

They take enough of my money and leave me with next to nothing.
SHABBA!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Post-secondary tuition might be the biggest scam in the history of the Western world. These institutions just find ways to nickel-and-dime you.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 407 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: More reasons to hate post-secondary institutions

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:17 pm

Keb wrote:So I get an email today saying "Your student account has a balance. The date for paying without getting a service charge in June 15th. Please pay soon." Whatever...

I paid it last Friday, it said I owed whatever, I owed, so I paid it. Today, I check my financial statement and it says I owe what I paid plus another $6. I am not happy.

I should have received received that email about the service charge BEFORE June 15th, not 9 days after...

Let me guess, you're in Toronto, Ontario. Aren't you?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

jza1218

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby jza1218 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 pm

Were you aware of the date prior to that? If so, you have no case.

billyzoom666
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby billyzoom666 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:05 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Post-secondary tuition might be the biggest scam in the history of the Western world. These institutions just find ways to nickel-and-dime you.

When I graduated college, they tried to charge me $50 before I'd get my diploma. It was some sort of fee, I don't remember exactly how they phrased it. I never paid it and, in turn, have never officially physically received my diploma.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:19 pm

they're bitches when it comes to fines. at my university they were supposed to email or mail us a notice about enrolments or the next year. they never did and i had to hear about it from someone else that was wondering why i wasnt there. apparently half the students never got a form and were fined $100 for being 1 day late, $200 for one week late & $300 for 2 weeks late enrolments.

i filed a complaint citing everything and it was refused and when i went to take it up further........6 months later im still waiting for a response.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:34 pm

jza1218 wrote:Were you aware of the date prior to that? If so, you have no case.
Nope. I searched the summer enrolment guide and my invoice and it didn't have either date on it. I didn't get a paper with my invoice with dates on it nor could I find the "important dates" calendar on the Registrar's webpage. The fee is no biggie, $6 isn't much, but it's the principle behind it. They always look for ways to screw students, whether it's program requirements or fees or anything.

And yes, Catty, I go to UofT.
SHABBA!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 pm

billyzoom666 wrote:When I graduated college, they tried to charge me $50 before I'd get my diploma. It was some sort of fee, I don't remember exactly how they phrased it. I never paid it and, in turn, have never officially physically received my diploma.

We had to pay it before graduation. I've paid 30K for school and you can't just print me a fucking piece of paper for free? Tuition and regular fees, books that suddenly go out of print when it's time to return them, parking, mysterious "lab" fees, recreation fees, service fees...for god's sake!
Last edited by superfictious on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 pm

You mean your school wouldn't buy back your textbooks? That's pretty lame.
SHABBA!

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby superfictious » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Keb wrote:You mean your school wouldn't buy back your textbooks? That's pretty lame.

Sometimes they will for pennies on the dollar.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Sometimes they will for pennies on the dollar.
Of course, you sell back a perfectly fine condition $100 textbook for like $20, then they mark it with big USED sticker and sell it for $75. That's how it always works.

The student union at my school actually set up a textbook marketplace for people to sell their old textbooks at the price they want to sell them at. Apparently books go fast on that thing.

But I keep all my texts, or most of them...
SHABBA!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 am

Black_Kryptonian wrote:Sometimes they will for pennies on the dollar.
start of every semester i stake out the bookstore and always find a sucker to sell my books to.

billyzoom666
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby billyzoom666 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:We had to pay it before graduation. I've paid 30K for school and you can't just print me a fucking piece of paper for free? Tuition and regular fees, books that suddenly go out of print when it's time to return them, parking, mysterious "lab" fees, recreation fees, service fees...for god's sake!

Exactly my thoughts. I was like, "Let's see, I spent seven years in college to get a crappy undergrad degree and you want me to spend another $50? Yeah....."

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum