Advertisement

Music Listening

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Music Listening

Postby thefourthman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Keb wrote:2012: the year music took all my money.

heard., It's been a good one for that.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:35 am

thefourthman wrote:currently in heavy rotation:

Kendrick Lamar "Good Kid m.A.A.D. city"
good shit

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:45 am

I listened to a lot of Cock Sparrer today. Their 90s album, Guilty as Charged. Great stuff for a band twenty years into their career. Though they are still great live today.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:24 am

Keb wrote: good shit

I agree. talking to some friends about it, I have realized that my inability to relate to Lamar on a personal level and he doesn't express that coming of age stuff in a universal manner. that being said, I would be much more impressed with it, if Frank Ocean hadn't released Channel Orange this year. Both those albums have given me a greater respect for Kanye's more experimental work and Cudi and Tao. It's interesting that guys doing pretty much the same thing are having a great deal more success with it.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:I agree. talking to some friends about it, I have realized that my inability to relate to Lamar on a personal level and he doesn't express that coming of age stuff in a universal manner. that being said, I would be much more impressed with it, if Frank Ocean hadn't released Channel Orange this year. Both those albums have given me a greater respect for Kanye's more experimental work and Cudi and Tao. It's interesting that guys doing pretty much the same thing are having a great deal more success with it.

Don't really need to relate to the story to enjoy it. I never had a friend get shoot or borrowed my moms van to duck with some hood rat. Good use of skits and the songs are well made.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Guy Incognito wrote:Has anyone picked up the David Byrne and St Vincent album? I was looking forward to some new music from St Vincent, but David Byrne's vocals are a big turn off on the single. I'm just wondering if he sounds better on the other tracks.

I have not, but it is on Spotify and currently $4.99 over at Amazon.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 307 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:00 am

just got the new deftones album, koi no yokan.

i like it.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 am

new Action Bronson out today for free online. Best shit yet from him. Produced entirely by Alchemist.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Top 5 songs I am all about right now...

1. - Tame Impala - Why Won't They Talk To Me?

2. - Grizzly Bear - Yet Again

3. - Daughn Gibson - Tiffany Lou

4. - Kendrick Lamar - Money Trees

5. - Dirty Projectors - Just From Chevron

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Money Trees grew on me big time but the song could still do without Jay Rock. Bitch don't kill my vibe, backseat freestyle and maad city are fire on that album. Sing about me is dope too.

Poetic justice needs to fuck off and die.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am

Money Trees pulls me in because I fucking love Beach House and the beat is an inverted Beach House sample.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 am

Ha good to know!

Listening to When Life Gives You Lemons by Atmosphere on this cold night and it's slowly becoming my favourite Atmosphere album.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 pm

My 2012 top ten

Aesop Rock - Skelethon
Possibly the most personal and complete album this year. Definitely evidenced an artist growing from point a to point b with a lot of really fun songs, some dark, some light and the best production from Aesop ever. I liked how every song sounded great live as well as it did recorded, which was a huge selling point because Aesop sometimes sounds shit live. Everything about this album, from sound to songwriting to cover art and packaging was complete.

P.O.S. - We Don't Even Live Here
Great followup to a great album (Never Better). This album has all the elements of a POS album but really spotlights a different direction the artist took. I like how beatwise, this sounds nothing like the last two albums. I also find the album less angry which allows it to be more focused content-wise. It's more socially involved in counterculture but it doesn't shove it down your throat. The art was cool too. I liked the book and all. Kinda short though.

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.a.a.d. City
Really glad I bought this album on impulse. Great narrative and some great thought provoking material. One song is shite and stupid (Poetic Justice) and a couple feel awkward and out of place (Good Kid and Compton). It's an intelligent concept album that doesn't try to hard to be intelligent or a concept album. The songs that are really good are really fucking good though and the narrative makes even the bad songs worth listening to. I can't say I love the bonus disc but it's nice to have. I'd rank this a tie with the POS album.

Murs & Fashawn - This Generation
At first I wasn't sold on this album, mostly because the beats felt a little off. More listens opened me up to this album a lot. It's like two west coast rappers getting together exploring the similar experiences and themes of their respective eras without it being a nostalgic clusterfuck. Beats grow on you as well. Some of the tracks are kind of dumb but its not a record you need to take seriously. Its very laid back.

Brother Ali - Mourning in America & Dreaming in Color
The more I listen to this record the more it grows on me BUT I get really annoyed at times with Ali's preachiness on the record. It's obvious that he's found a good sound match with Jake One and the sound is a total departure from the Ali/ANT sound but its good. When he's not shoving it down your throat, the message on the album is quite succinct. Won More Hit is a really bad song though all around.

Blu & Exile - Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them
Does this count as a 2012 release? I count it since it's different from the one that leaked. Anyhow, great album. Really enjoyed Exile's production on this more than below the heavens. This album is just really enjoyable to listen to. Makes you feel happy and shit. It's a typical Blu album though. Has that feel to it.

Killer Mike - RAP Music
I thought this album wouldn't turn out well but I was really happy that both artists were able to work as a cohesive unit. Mike is all over the place and a lot of the tracks on the album have some range in terms of topic. I really like that he's not afraid to talk shit about Reagan or cops. Really ballsy record all around. Good hype music.

Gangrene - Vodka & Ayahuasca
This album came out in January and has been in rotation on my mp3 player all year. Good sign. It's a great album that kinda came out of nowhere. Is got a good overlying theme and the beats are great. The rapping while still not anywhere near the best has improved and a few guest features well placed make it lyrically better. 

Del the Funky Homosapien & Parallel Thought - Attractive Sin
Bought this on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. I think this is the best Del we've had since Deltron and I can appreciate that. The beats aren't blow your mind amazing but the fact that Del brings it on every track and doesn't back down makes this album as awesome as it is. Was surprised that it didn't get a lot of buzz despite the reviews.

El-P - Cancer4Cure
At first I fucking loved this album but it kind of fell off my radar. It's another great effort from El-p but it just leaves me feeling like something is missing. It doesn't feel as new York as the previous two albums. Lyrically I think El-p is still doing his thing and the album doesn't really lack anything that a typical El-p album would have, it just leaves me feeling incomplete. Still a great album.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Have you picked up Mic Tyson yet?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Yeah. What a glorified piece of shit!

Make people wait 3 years for an album that sounds like it was made in 3 weeks.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum