Advertisement

NCAA Football Preview Pt. 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:47 pm

Black Kryptonite wrote::P Yeah, I know the WRs are average. But they can't be as horrible as they've looked the first few games. They can't, can they?

have you watched them the last 4 years? when Mohammed Massaquoi is your #1 guy, you BETTER have a Knowshon Moreno in the backfield.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:49 pm

You know.. I've always been a huge Jim Tressel fan.

And his record as a Buckeye coach is great.. he's had a great run.

But I have to wonder if maybe it's not time for a change?

“The guys fought hard,” he offered Saturday night. “I don’t know that we did the best we could do, but we fought hard.”

So apparently that’s it now for Ohio State. They fought hard. Let’s just focus on the moral victory – the lament of every blown-out, schedule-padding cupcake in college football. We were overmatched and outcoached, sure, but we fought hard.

Only this is Ohio State. The Buckeyes keep getting their ass kicked when they dare to venture out of Big Ten/MAC land and Tressel doesn’t look or sound the least bit concerned.

Outrage? Frustration? Embarrassment? How about apologies to the Buckeye fans who no doubt feel plenty of all three? Or maybe one for poor quarterback Todd Boeckman, who thanks to a most uninspired offensive game plan had USC defenders taking turns teeing up to try to rupture his spleen?

“They did everything we saw on film, nothing changed,” said USC linebacker Rey Maualuga, who had five tackles and a pick six.

It isn’t just that Ohio State keeps producing no-show efforts in these supposed referendum games. It’s that the Buckeyes passion postgame is as feeble as it is in the game. If they are just being polite and internalizing, then the Bucks will one day need a lot of therapy.

“Taking a lot of heat from whom?” Tressel retorted when asked about the perception of the program nationally. “I guess I’m only concerned with Ohio State fans.”

If he thinks they are satisfied with this, he must be blinded by his latest contract extension.

This was paint-by-numbers football, the Buckeyes exposed as frauds early in the year this time, not at the end. This year, not even the absurd BCS can save them. Not that they admitted that.

“It’s only September,” Tressel said.

“We kept fighting, I’m happy with the effort,” said linebacker Jim Laurinaitis, perhaps oblivious to the 35 consecutive points USC scored, a number that could’ve been greater had Trojans coach Pete Carroll wanted to run it up.

This is the same kind of ho-hum reaction he's had the past two years after the BCS blowouts.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Chris wrote:You know.. I've always been a huge Jim Tressel fan.

“The guys fought hard,” he offered Saturday night. “I don’t know that we did the best we could do, but we fought hard.”

So apparently that’s it now for Ohio State. They fought hard. Let’s just focus on the moral victory – the lament of every blown-out, schedule-padding cupcake in college football. We were overmatched and outcoached, sure, but we fought hard.

Only this is Ohio State. The Buckeyes keep getting their ass kicked when they dare to venture out of Big Ten/MAC land and Tressel doesn’t look or sound the least bit concerned.

Outrage? Frustration? Embarrassment? How about apologies to the Buckeye fans who no doubt feel plenty of all three? Or maybe one for poor quarterback Todd Boeckman, who thanks to a most uninspired offensive game plan had USC defenders taking turns teeing up to try to rupture his spleen?

“They did everything we saw on film, nothing changed,” said USC linebacker Rey Maualuga, who had five tackles and a pick six.

It isn’t just that Ohio State keeps producing no-show efforts in these supposed referendum games. It’s that the Buckeyes passion postgame is as feeble as it is in the game. If they are just being polite and internalizing, then the Bucks will one day need a lot of therapy.

“Taking a lot of heat from whom?” Tressel retorted when asked about the perception of the program nationally. “I guess I’m only concerned with Ohio State fans.”

If he thinks they are satisfied with this, he must be blinded by his latest contract extension.

This was paint-by-numbers football, the Buckeyes exposed as frauds early in the year this time, not at the end. This year, not even the absurd BCS can save them. Not that they admitted that.

“It’s only September,” Tressel said.

“We kept fighting, I’m happy with the effort,” said linebacker Jim Laurinaitis, perhaps oblivious to the 35 consecutive points USC scored, a number that could’ve been greater had Trojans coach Pete Carroll wanted to run it up.

This is the same kind of ho-hum reaction he's had the past two years after the BCS blowouts.

No way is it time to dump Tressel yet IMO. OSU is still bringing in the big recruits. The no 1 RB just committed to them right?

And the sky's the limit with Pryor....

But yeah that reaction can be annoying. It should start a new meme "It's Tressel being Tressel" :-D

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Chris wrote:You know.. I've always been a huge Jim Tressel fan.

That's some panic right there. :-D

Tressel has been in 3 BCS championship games in 9 years. Who are you going to get that can do better?

Allen
Staff Writer

Title: Two-Time Avatar Hall of Famer

Postby Allen » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:10 pm

amlah6 wrote:That's some panic right there. :-D

Tressel has been in 3 BCS championship games in 9 years. Who are you going to get that can do better?

Maybe they'd rather have Lloyd Carr. Or maybe go back to the John Cooper years.....

Seriously, OSU is like an SEC team; their fans can get awfully irrational at times. ;-) :P

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:03 pm

It's not necessarily panic.. it's just a realization that Tressel is Big-10 successful.

And because of the way the BCS system is right now, that has resulted in 3 BCS title games in 9 years.. true..

But getting blown out and embarrassed in 3 major games now (two BCS, and USC last night) in three years is NOT a good thing as far as recruitment goes. A few more of those, and guys like Pryor and Beanie Wells may look elsewhere.

I'm not necessarily saying Tressel should be fired. Like I said, I love the guy. But I know I'm not alone in thinking something has to change. He's very stubborn when it comes to coaching, as evidenced with his love for Boeckman and his refusal to change up gameplans. Like the USC linebacker said.. OSU did nothing different that they didn't see on tape already.

I think Tressel really needs to reevaluate his coaching and the way this team is built. He's built it for Big 10 success, which is great.. but maybe he should try to focus on the national level too. Like he said..

“I guess I’m only concerned with Ohio State fans.”

That can be a great thing.. but it comes back to haunt you when you get your ass handed to you everytime you face a good team.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:05 pm

chap22 wrote:UT? seriously???? Georgia would've skull-fucked LSU in Atlanta the way they were playing from the Cocktail Party onward.

But Tennessee skull-fucked Georgia. We were one stupid int away from beating LSU.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 pm

GratefulFred wrote:But Tennessee skull-fucked Georgia. We were one stupid int away from beating LSU.
that UT-UGA game was mid-season. and i agree UT was playing better than them at that time. my point was at the end of the season Georgia was a top 4 team, no question. once they got their heads out of their asses (right after the drubbing from UT) they were a totally different team the rest of the year. clicking on all cylinders, mature, whatever you want to call it, at the end of the year they were better than they were at the beginning and even mid-season, and they were also better than anybody else except for USC and maybe LSU. and i think they were at least as good as those two.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:00 pm

chap22 wrote:that UT-UGA game was mid-season. and i agree UT was playing better than them at that time. my point was at the end of the season Georgia was a top 4 team, no question. once they got their heads out of their asses (right after the drubbing from UT) they were a totally different team the rest of the year. clicking on all cylinders, mature, whatever you want to call it, at the end of the year they were better than they were at the beginning and even mid-season, and they were also better than anybody else except for USC and maybe LSU. and i think they were at least as good as those two.

I guess, but I'll always see them as wannabes. They wannabe good, their coach is a Gruden wannabe, etc.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:29 am

A couple Buckeye fans I work with were saying today they thought maybe it's time for Tressel to go. That's just crazy talk. I think he needs a better offensive game plan but in no way should he be fired. I remember the "success" the program had before he was the coach.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:44 pm

I would love to see the voters that put OSU at 13 have to justify their votes or lose them. There is no reason that a team that blew out Youngston St and struggled against Ohio before getting destroyed by the first legit team they played is the 13th best team in the country. They will be back in the top ten in 2 weeks if they win. They are not a top 10 team in any way shape or form. I fucking hate the system that we have right now.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:31 am

On Sportscenter they just said that Pryor will get the majority of the snaps with the first team offense this week and that there will be a "healthy competition" for the starting spot for OSU. This sounds like just what Reek was asking for, too bad they did it too late. They can still get into a major BCS bowl, because the voters are fucking useless pieces of shit that only dropped them to 13, and I think this is a good move for them for both this year and next year as well.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:35 am

DeadFett wrote:A couple Buckeye fans I work with were saying today they thought maybe it's time for Tressel to go. That's just crazy talk. I think he needs a better offensive game plan but in no way should he be fired. I remember the "success" the program had before he was the coach.

It's overreaction, as a Vols fan I'm kind of used to it. I think fans of schools who are looking to fire their coaches should take a long hard look in the mirror and think 'could we *really* get someone better?'

Because you probably can't, and yes, this does go for Fulmer as well. I can't stand the man, but I just don't see anyone wanting to come to Knoxville that would be any better. The only shot they might have in the future is Cutcliffe, and this last round of bullshit might have finally pushed him away for good.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:39 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I would love to see the voters that put OSU at 13 have to justify their votes or lose them. There is no reason that a team that blew out Youngston St and struggled against Ohio before getting destroyed by the first legit team they played is the 13th best team in the country. They will be back in the top ten in 2 weeks if they win. They are not a top 10 team in any way shape or form. I fucking hate the system that we have right now.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think they'll lose to Penn St, and having to play AT Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Illinois isn't going to help them. This isn't even mentioning the fact that Michigan, who they outclass on just about every level, is a rivalry game and that the Wolverines have basically geared their entire season as a tune up for the Buckeyes.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 am

twoheads wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. I think they'll lose to Penn St, and having to play AT Wisconsin, Michigan St, and Illinois isn't going to help them. This isn't even mentioning the fact that Michigan, who they outclass on just about every level, is a rivalry game and that the Wolverines have basically geared their entire season as a tune up for the Buckeyes.

They have the talent to win every single game the rest of the way. However even if they don't it bugs me that despite not looking like a good team, much less a top 15 team, they are ranked 13th based solely on the laziness of voters who don't do their homework and watch games. The voters have like 12 hours between the late games and the time the poll is released, which means they are voting that same night or whatever and have no time to watch all the games. They also vote by big name school rather than by what is deserved as a result. There is no reason that the Buckeyes should be ranked in the top 25 at this point. The inflated preseason ranking, lazy voters, and very flawed voting system have conspired to give OSU a great chance to still make up for this and play in the national title game by just beating teams they outclass in the Big 10, when it's pretty clear they aren't a good team. I hope you are right and they drop another game or two, but if they make it to the national title game again I may have to give up on the sport until they get a playoff.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum