Advertisement

NCAA Football Preview Pt. 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

zombiemichaeljackson
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6770
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm


Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:49 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:They have the talent to win every single game the rest of the way. However even if they don't it bugs me that despite not looking like a good team, much less a top 15 team, they are ranked 13th based solely on the laziness of voters who don't do their homework and watch games. The voters have like 12 hours between the late games and the time the poll is released, which means they are voting that same night or whatever and have no time to watch all the games. They also vote by big name school rather than by what is deserved as a result. There is no reason that the Buckeyes should be ranked in the top 25 at this point. The inflated preseason ranking, lazy voters, and very flawed voting system have conspired to give OSU a great chance to still make up for this and play in the national title game by just beating teams they outclass in the Big 10, when it's pretty clear they aren't a good team. I hope you are right and they drop another game or two, but if they make it to the national title game again I may have to give up on the sport until they get a playoff.


I see your point, but I think you're both overvaluing OSU and undervaluing the rest of the Big 10. Obviously, they're not the SEC or Big 12, but they're probably the third best conference right now in front of the Big East, Pac 10, and ACC(in that order).

Secondly, which is it? Is OSU talented enough to win the rest of their games and win the Big 10? Or are they overrated and don't deserve to be in the top 25? You can't have it both ways, because knocking them out of the top 25 would put them below Wisconsin(who they're already ranked lower than), Penn St., and Illinois.

Advertisement

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10371
Likes: 79 posts
Liked in: 161 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:51 am

I love how TMQ has named the Alabama/Arkansas game the Weasel Bowl in honor of their coaches. :lol:

As for OSU...I think they get a bit of a pass because of Wells' absence, but if they continue to struggle after he returns they'll drop like a rock in future polls. Penn State seems to be for real.

zombiemichaeljackson
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6770
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm


Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am

Black Kryptonite wrote:I love how TMQ has named the Alabama/Arkansas game the Weasel Bowl in honor of their coaches. :lol:

As for OSU...I think they get a bit of a pass because of Wells' absence, but if they continue to struggle after he returns they'll drop like a rock in future polls. Penn State seems to be for real.


They haven't really played anyone yet, as Oregon St looks to be way, way, way, way worse than I or anyone else assumed they would be, but yeah, PSU has looked really good.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21381
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 am

twoheads wrote:I see your point, but I think you're both overvaluing OSU and undervaluing the rest of the Big 10. Obviously, they're not the SEC or Big 12, but they're probably the third best conference right now in front of the Big East, Pac 10, and ACC(in that order).

i say 4th. SEC > Big 12 >>>>> MWC > Big 10. :-D

Secondly, which is it? Is OSU talented enough to win the rest of their games and win the Big 10? Or are they overrated and don't deserve to be in the top 25? You can't have it both ways, because knocking them out of the top 25 would put them below Wisconsin(who they're already ranked lower than), Penn St., and Illinois.



and yeah, rdrsfn, sorry, but i agree with this. they don't deserve a national title shot, they shouldn't creep back up into the top 5 (or probably even the top 10), but if they're, like you say, talented enough to win out, they DO deserve to be somewhere in the top 25. and i don't have that much problem with 13, b/c that's about where i thought they should've been to start with. i think the pollsters now have it right by accident, but have faith they'll screw it up again before the season's out.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

GratefulFred
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2789
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN


Postby GratefulFred » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:55 am

Black Kryptonite wrote:I love how TMQ has named the Alabama/Arkansas game the Weasel Bowl in honor of their coaches. :lol:


:lol:

rdrsfn82
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Reno, NV


Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

twoheads wrote:I see your point, but I think you're both overvaluing OSU and undervaluing the rest of the Big 10. Obviously, they're not the SEC or Big 12, but they're probably the third best conference right now in front of the Big East, Pac 10, and ACC(in that order).

Secondly, which is it? Is OSU talented enough to win the rest of their games and win the Big 10? Or are they overrated and don't deserve to be in the top 25? You can't have it both ways, because knocking them out of the top 25 would put them below Wisconsin(who they're already ranked lower than), Penn St., and Illinois.


They have the talent to be a top 25, although not top 15 team. However based on how they have played so far they don't deserve to be ranked at all. The Mountain West is better than the Big 10, ACC, Big East, and PAC-10 right now.

Penn St and Illinois are not that good, Illinois lost to one good team and beat two cupcakes. Penn St beat one cupcake and two bad teams from other conferences. The only team that's beaten anyone is Wisconsin, but I just never believe in them since they always seem to lose to some teams they shouldn't every single year. OSU has a a defense that can shut down every offense in the conference. They can lose to Wisconsin and if they play terrible they could lose to Penn St (assuming they don't have every player arrested the night before the game) but those are the only teams beating them in the Big 10. That conference is awful, Michigan will probably win 3 or 4 games in conference play this season.
Image

GratefulFred
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2789
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN


Postby GratefulFred » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:59 am

Nick Saban has promised so many recruits that they could have a certain jersey number. Now, Alabama now has duplicates for eight jersey numbers: No. 4, No. 5, No. 8, No. 15, No. 45, No. 87, No. 97 and No. 99.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21381
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:The Mountain West is better than the Big 10, ACC, Big East, and PAC-10 right now.

great minds think alike. :-D
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

zombiemichaeljackson
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6770
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm


Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Nick Saban has promised so many recruits that they could have a certain jersey number. Now, Alabama now has duplicates for eight jersey numbers: No. 4, No. 5, No. 8, No. 15, No. 45, No. 87, No. 97 and No. 99.


That's actually not totally uncommon. A lot of teams have players with duplicate jersey numbers, they just can't be on the field at the same time.

rdrsfn82
User avatar
Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 32360
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Reno, NV


Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:01 pm

chap22 wrote:and yeah, rdrsfn, sorry, but i agree with this. they don't deserve a national title shot, they shouldn't creep back up into the top 5 (or probably even the top 10), but if they're, like you say, talented enough to win out, they DO deserve to be somewhere in the top 25. and i don't have that much problem with 13, b/c that's about where i thought they should've been to start with. i think the pollsters now have it right by accident, but have faith they'll screw it up again before the season's out.


I don't think they don't have the talent to be top 25 by the end of the year, they just don't deserve to be ranked right this moment based on what's happened on the field. If they win out they deserve to be ranked around the 10-15 range, but right this moment they don't deserve to be ranked at all.
Image

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21381
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:03 pm

twoheads wrote:That's actually not totally uncommon. A lot of teams have players with duplicate jersey numbers, they just can't be on the field at the same time.
yeah but those teams usually have one or at most two shared numbers, not 8.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21381
Likes: 26 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:08 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I don't think they don't have the talent to be top 25 by the end of the year, they just don't deserve to be ranked right this moment based on what's happened on the field. If they win out they deserve to be ranked around the 10-15 range, but right this moment they don't deserve to be ranked at all.


why, though? because they lost to the undeniably, probably head-and-shoulders better than everyboy else in the country, #1 team in the country at their house, without their best player? because they didn't win convincingly enough in a look-ahead game also played without theirbest player?

look, i agree they're overrated. God knows and YOU know i agree (and damn you for making me defend those slapdicks :x ). but they're still 2-1. they're still probably the best team in a weak "power" conference. and as such, i think they do deserve to be somewhere in the top 25. now, if polls didn't come out until around week 6, as SHOULD be the case, by then i might feel differently. but as the system stands, i have no problem with it.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

zombiemichaeljackson
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6770
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm


Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:09 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:They have the talent to be a top 25, although not top 15 team. However based on how they have played so far they don't deserve to be ranked at all. The Mountain West is better than the Big 10, ACC, Big East, and PAC-10 right now.

Penn St and Illinois are not that good, Illinois lost to one good team and beat two cupcakes. Penn St beat one cupcake and two bad teams from other conferences. The only team that's beaten anyone is Wisconsin, but I just never believe in them since they always seem to lose to some teams they shouldn't every single year. OSU has a a defense that can shut down every offense in the conference. They can lose to Wisconsin and if they play terrible they could lose to Penn St (assuming they don't have every player arrested the night before the game) but those are the only teams beating them in the Big 10. That conference is awful, Michigan will probably win 3 or 4 games in conference play this season.


Yeah, the MWC is good, I was just referencing the BCS conferences, because like it or not they don't matter unless they have an automatic bid.

Illinois' defense is terrible, but that offense is going to put up a ton of numbers in conference and is pretty much tailor made to beat OSU. Speed, speed, speed. I'm still curious to see how Penn St's offense performs against a real team, but the defense is legit and shouldn't have any problems holding the Buckeyes under 20 points. As for Wisconsin, they're like they always are. Wisconsin is a weird team because they don't do anything one thing, outside of running the ball, really well but they do everything well enough that they don't have any real weaknesses.

The real problem is that it's freakin' impossible to realistically rank teams with only 3 weeks worth of data to go by. As Chap said a week or two ago, it's not possible to get a reasonable idea of how good people are until at LEAST the first week of October.

Also, for the record, I'll be unleashing my first Top 25(although it may just be a Top 10 or 15) for you all to pick apart and ridicule me about that same week. I know you can barely contain yourselves.......

zombiemichaeljackson
User avatar
rubber spoon
 
Posts: 6770
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:56 pm


Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:11 pm

chap22 wrote: now, if polls didn't come out until around week 6, as SHOULD be the case, by then i might feel differently. but as the system stands, i have no problem with it.


Yeah, this.

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10371
Likes: 79 posts
Liked in: 161 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Don't forget the MAC.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 38 guests

Advertisement