Sunday, August 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "The place to talk some shit."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

NLCS 2008 Preview

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:50 pm

D wrote:St Pete is a beautiful place.

What I meant by they play in Tampa was basically they're the Rays. You can't keep this up when ownership won't invest in the team.


Who says ownership isn't investing in the team? Just because their strategy isn't to throw dump trucks full of money at every overrated free agent doesn't mean they won't spend.
User avatar

Jonathan

Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:51 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Haha. You have no idea what you're talking about. This team only got healthy in the division series. I stopped reading your post right there, as you're clearly talking out your behind.


Plus, he's from Northern Virginia, which means he's probably a National or Orioles fan.

Don't worry, little buddy....one day, it'll be YOUR time, too.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:52 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Haha. You have no idea what you're talking about. This team only got healthy in the division series. I stopped reading your post right there, as you're clearly talking out your behind.


I mostly concerned with their starting pitching because that's what got them to the playoffs. I know Kazmir was out earlier in the year, but the rotation stayed fairly healthy. Plus, they overachieved.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Jonathan wrote:Plus, he's from Northern Virginia, which means he's probably a National or Orioles fan.

Don't worry, little buddy....one day, it'll be YOUR time, too.


I thought Lastings Milledge would be MVP this year. :cry:
User avatar

Jonathan

Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 pm

C20Percent wrote:I thought Lastings Milledge would be MVP this year. :cry:


The Nats shoulda never given up Jon Rauch or Luis Ayala for spare parts (middle infielders).
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:55 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:1)It wasn't the lowest payroll in baseball.
2)Obviously, payroll will increase next season and beyond.
3)What difference does this argument make in the slightest? Only 2 out of the top 10 teams with the highest payrolls remain in contention.

1. 2nd lowest?
2. Will it?
3. Of course it matters. Obviously I'm not saying the team that spends the most is the best, and the team that spends the least is the worst, but how long can they rely on rookies and guys being under paid? If you want to keep your stars you have to pay them. If you want to get stars you have to pay them
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Jonathan wrote:The Nats shoulda never given up Jon Rauch or Luis Ayala for spare parts (middle infielders).


I'm not a Nationals defendeder, but they ran into a ton of injuries this year. At one point in the season they were fielding a team that was 1/3 of the starters from the beginning of the season.
User avatar

Jonathan

Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 pm

D wrote:1. 2nd lowest?
2. Will it?
3. Of course it matters. Obviously I'm not saying the team that spends the most is the best, and the team that spends the least is the worst, but how long can they rely on rookies and guys being under paid? If you want to keep your stars you have to pay them. If you want to get stars you have to pay them


Did you not see the deal Longoria got after only SIX GAMES in the Majors?

Granted, I don't know how long certain guys like Hinske, Floyd or even Aki will be with the Rays, but the majority of the guys will most likely stay (maybe with the exception of Edwin Jackson who I can see getting traded this off-season).

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:59 pm

C20Percent wrote:I mostly concerned with their starting pitching because that's what got them to the playoffs. I know Kazmir was out earlier in the year, but the rotation stayed fairly healthy. Plus, they overachieved.


How have they overachieved, lol? All of these guys are expected to be better than they actually played!
User avatar

D

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Who says ownership isn't investing in the team? Just because their strategy isn't to throw dump trucks full of money at every overrated free agent doesn't mean they won't spend.
You keep taking your arguments to the extreme. You say they don't throw dump trucks of money at EVERY free agent, but when's the last time they gave a dump truck to anyone? You're counting on the players who make a little money to always deliver and you're counting on the players who make a lot of money to fail to live up to the hype, and it's wrong. Don't you think the Brewers, or hell the Rays would be a better team if they could throw a shit load money at CC? Cause someone will, and their team will greatly improve.
User avatar

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

I think the Rays have a window of about 3 more years to be a top contender.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

D wrote:1. 2nd lowest?
2. Will it?
3. Of course it matters. Obviously I'm not saying the team that spends the most is the best, and the team that spends the least is the worst, but how long can they rely on rookies and guys being under paid? If you want to keep your stars you have to pay them. If you want to get stars you have to pay them


Of course it will. That is, to begin with, the nature of a major league contract. There's only one rookie in the starting lineup and he's locked in for 9 years (Longoria). Pena got a new deal, Crawford is around til 2011...I mean, do your homework if you want to argue this. There's a reason for such a thing as arbitration years. Everyone is by and large locked up for the next three or four years. Even so, the farm system still has gems to supplement any holes.
User avatar

C20Percent

rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:How have they overachieved, lol? All of these guys are expected to be better than they actually played!


Matt Garza and Andy Sonnanstine were supposed to be better than this? :shock:

More or less career years for them both.
User avatar

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:04 pm

C20Percent wrote:Matt Garza and Andy Sonnanstine were supposed to be better than this? :shock:

More or less career years for them both.

Garza was expected to do well for the Rays.

And forget about Sonnanstine. They have David Price coming up.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 pm

D wrote:You keep taking your arguments to the extreme. You say they don't throw dump trucks of money at EVERY free agent, but when's the last time they gave a dump truck to anyone? You're counting on the players who make a little money to always deliver and you're counting on the players who make a lot of money to fail to live up to the hype, and it's wrong. Don't you think the Brewers, or hell the Rays would be a better team if they could throw a shit load money at CC? Cause someone will, and their team will greatly improve.


I think you picked a really poor choice to prove that point.

And why would they need to give money to someone, D? They had a plan and it was to go with their greatest asset - the farm system.

It's not like these guys came out of nowhere. They scored the exact same amount of runs last year that they did this year. And the payroll increased by $19 million in that time. That's a large jump; if there was a problem with spending, the owners would've cut bait, no? Maybe they wouldn't have signed Troy Percival and other bullpen guys to correct their issues.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, contramundi, Google [Bot], Liam Moorhart, MikeinLA, Stephen Day and 32 guests