Advertisement

NLCS 2008 Preview

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Deux

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 pm

C20Percent wrote:Matt Garza and Andy Sonnanstine were supposed to be better than this? :shock:

More or less career years for them both.

You're right. Excellent sample size.

Advertisement

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 pm

D wrote:Of course it matters. Obviously I'm not saying the team that spends the most is the best, and the team that spends the least is the worst, but how long can they rely on rookies and guys being under paid? If you want to keep your stars you have to pay them. If you want to get stars you have to pay them

The Phils are going to have to pony up some money this year if we're going to try and keep this team intact.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Title: The American
Formerly: Adroitly Chaotic, House of Me

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Garza was expected to do well for the Rays.

And forget about Sonnanstine. They have David Price coming up.

Nah - Sonny's great; Jackson's gonna get ejected to another team because of Price.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:09 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Garza was expected to do well for the Rays.

And forget about Sonnanstine. They have David Price coming up.

Yeah, they've got talent, but the Sox and Yankees aren't gonna sit back while the Rays blow by them. And, I still hold that their starting rotation stayed pretty healthy for the year.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Jonathan wrote:Nah - Sonny's great; Jackson's gonna get ejected to another team because of Price.

I'm not saying Sonnanstine's bad, but there's a million guys like him out there. I wouldn't say he's a big asset.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:11 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:You're right. Excellent sample size.

Hell, I'll throw in Edwin Jackson, and that's half the Rays starting rotation that overachieved.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:11 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I'm not saying Sonnanstine's bad, but there's a million guys like him out there. I wouldn't say he's a big asset.

But I'm saying he's a better asset than Edwin Jackson, who will be shipped off instead.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I'm not saying Sonnanstine's bad, but there's a million guys like him out there. I wouldn't say he's a big asset.

I wouldn't either. He's a great #5, which is what he'll be next year. He'll be one of those crafty guys who has a tremendously long career.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

C20Percent wrote:Hell, I'll throw in Edwin Jackson, and that's half the Rays starting rotation that overachieved.

Edwin Jackson is a perpetual underachiever.

Jonathan
Expert Post Whore

Postby Jonathan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:15 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Edwin Jackson is a perpetual underachiever.

I see Jackson being a Mariner, Padre, Royal or National next year.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:16 pm

C20Percent wrote:Yeah, they've got talent, but the Sox and Yankees aren't gonna sit back while the Rays blow by them. And, I still hold that their starting rotation stayed pretty healthy for the year.

I guarantee with Red Sox will be in the mix next season. And the Yanks will put up a fight but I question how prepared they are for the future. That's all going to depend on what they do in the off-season.

And yes, they Rays did benefit from some good luck, but they're also a really young team full of guys who are just going to get better. Upton and Longoria, for example, aren't anywhere near their peak yet. Kazmir and Shields are excellent, IMO and they've got depth to compensate for injuries in the rotation, considering how stacked their farm is.

The only real hole I see is in the bullpen, but they've got chips to trade to address that.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

eyp
Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 pm

HA NLCS preview and the discussion is revolving around the rays.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I guarantee with Red Sox will be in the mix next season. And the Yanks will put up a fight but I question how prepared they are for the future. That's all going to depend on what they do in the off-season.

And yes, they Rays did benefit from some good luck, but they're also a really young team full of guys who are just going to get better. Upton and Longoria, for example, aren't anywhere near their peak yet. Kazmir and Shields are excellent, IMO and they've got depth to compensate for injuries in the rotation, considering how stacked their farm is.

The only real hole I see is in the bullpen, but they've got chips to trade to address that.

Every contender benefits from some good luck.

I agree with you 100% on the bullpen. They lack depth. Even right now. It'll take continued perfection from Howell and Balfour for these guys to win, and you just can't expect that.

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm

Ok
1. I don't know what you guys were thinking when C20 said the years to come, but I was thinking further than the next couple of years.
2. I don't know Tampa's exact history of payroll, but aren't they always at the bottom or right near it? If they do start spending a lot more money than that's great, but they've never done it before so I don't see what the problem is with me assuming they won't in the future.
3. Again, you don't HAVE to spend money to be great. But when 25 teams are doing more to keep their players and get new ones every single year, how long can you compete?
4. I'm saving this thread for the future. Oh yes.
Dragon

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 pm

D wrote:Ok
1. I don't know what you guys were thinking when C20 said the years to come, but I was thinking further than the next couple of years.
2. I don't know Tampa's exact history of payroll, but aren't they always at the bottom or right near it? If they do start spending a lot more money than that's great, but they've never done it before so I don't see what the problem is with me assuming they won't in the future.
3. Again, you don't HAVE to spend money to be great. But when 25 teams are doing more to keep their players and get new ones every single year, how long can you compete?
4. I'm saving this thread for the future. Oh yes.

Different ownership group.

Payroll in 2007 was roughly $23mil and change
Payroll in 2008 was roughly $43mil and change

That's a demonstration of willingness to spend.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum