Advertisement

NLCS 2008 Preview

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 pm

D wrote:Ok
1. I don't know what you guys were thinking when C20 said the years to come, but I was thinking further than the next couple of years.
2. I don't know Tampa's exact history of payroll, but aren't they always at the bottom or right near it? If they do start spending a lot more money than that's great, but they've never done it before so I don't see what the problem is with me assuming they won't in the future.
3. Again, you don't HAVE to spend money to be great. But when 25 teams are doing more to keep their players and get new ones every single year, how long can you compete?

1. I say 3 more years

2. They have new ownership who want to win. They've been gradually raising the payroll.

3. Oakland managed to do it for years

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I guarantee with Red Sox will be in the mix next season. And the Yanks will put up a fight but I question how prepared they are for the future. That's all going to depend on what they do in the off-season.

And yes, they Rays did benefit from some good luck, but they're also a really young team full of guys who are just going to get better. Upton and Longoria, for example, aren't anywhere near their peak yet. Kazmir and Shields are excellent, IMO and they've got depth to compensate for injuries in the rotation, considering how stacked their farm is.

The only real hole I see is in the bullpen, but they've got chips to trade to address that.

If the Yankees weren't such a mess right now, then I'd be pretty confident that the Rays wouldn't be back in the playoffs next year.

Deux

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:1. I say 3 more years

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but they've got some other prospects in the pipe that could easily flesh out another contending unit. Jennings, Beckham, Nando Perez (who is up right now and a tremendous ballplayer).

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:26 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Edwin Jackson is a perpetual underachiever.

You're actually arguing that the Rays underachieved this year? They should have done better then what they finished?

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm

C20Percent wrote:If the Yankees weren't such a mess right now, then I'd be pretty confident that the Rays wouldn't be back in the playoffs next year.

They're in a transition right now. It doesn't matter how much money you have, eventually a team will get old.

I think a lot of people have their hopes up too high for next season, though. The problems with the Yanks go beyond just a few roster spots. I think it may take another year or two for them to really reload and come back.

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:27 pm

C20Percent wrote:You're actually arguing that the Rays underachieved this year? They should have done better then what they finished?

I'm saying they had 25 guys who had pretty good seasons. No one had a great season and they have a fistful of prospects who are projected to have great seasons. When that happens, you'll start to see the full potential fulfilled.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:1. I say 3 more years

This sounds about right -- I think they'll compete next year, but I'm not writing dynasty all over this team.

Deux

Postby Deux » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:29 pm

C20Percent wrote:This sounds about right -- I think they'll compete next year, but I'm not writing dynasty all over this team.

Who is?

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but they've got some other prospects in the pipe that could easily flesh out another contending unit. Jennings, Beckham, Nando Perez (who is up right now and a tremendous ballplayer).

I agree with you. That's why I said they're deep.

But you have to factor the Yankees and the Orioles getting stronger as well.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:I'm saying they had 25 guys who had pretty good seasons. No one had a great season and they have a fistful of prospects who are projected to have great seasons. When that happens, you'll start to see the full potential fulfilled.

For what it's worth -- I like the Rays. I thought the had the division wrapped up in July (I think I said so in the MLB thread), but I can't see them doing this year after year.

statnut
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby statnut » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 pm

eypcrew2 wrote:HA NLCS preview and the discussion is revolving around the rays.

I know, its making me weep. :(

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

A Bridge Deux Far wrote:Who is?

Well, I think they possess the intangibles that make dynasties -- mainly young offensive talent, damn good pitching, smart management, and solid prospects. I just don't think the Rays are going to win 100 games next year; they'll start to slide while the rest of the division rises.

statnut
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby statnut » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:34 pm

The Rays farm system is very deep. Players like Reid Brignac could come up and take the SS job next year. They dont throw money at big name FA's because they dont have to. They understood what players were their core going in, and they added veterans around that(Percival, Floyd).

And the idea that they dont spend money is silly. They signed Longoria, Pena Kazmir, and Shields to long term deals. And they signed fringe players like Wheeler to extensions. Thats smart money spent right there. And they gave David Price a 5.6 million bonus.

eyp
Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 pm

statnut wrote:I know, its making me weep. :(

If it makes you feel better, I read it when it first went up and I appreciate the insight. I'm also going to re-read more indepth tommorow at home.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 pm

eypcrew2 wrote:HA NLCS preview and the discussion is revolving around the rays.

I just looked -- Jonathan started it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum