Advertisement

ObamaCare Only Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3415
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Spektre » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Image
I win! Socialized medicine and care for all!


Cat made it interesting again, I guess I'll stay.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66566
Likes: 787 posts
Liked in: 577 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Spektre wrote:
Cat made it interesting again, I guess I'll stay.


Image
I and my merry men will continue our fight for universal healthcare!
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

syxxpakk
User avatar

Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 12625
Likes: 49 posts
Liked in: 110 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:38 pm

It occurs to me that I could actually create an ObamaCare thread that Spektre can't participate in, if there's genuine interest.
Image

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.


@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 66566
Likes: 787 posts
Liked in: 577 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby The Old Doctor » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:38 pm

syxxpakk wrote:It occurs to me that I could actually create an ObamaCare thread that Spektre can't participate in, if there's genuine interest.


Go for it.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

syxxpakk
User avatar

Wrasslin' Fan
 
Posts: 12625
Likes: 49 posts
Liked in: 110 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 pm

Let's wait and see if it derails. I doubt it will at this point. But just know, Outhousers, if you ever want a Spektre-free thread - I'm the man who can make it happen.
Image

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.


@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3415
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Spektre » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:16 pm

Let's wait and see if it derails. I doubt it will at this point. But just know, Outhousers, if you ever want a Spektre-free thread - I'm the man who can make it happen.


He seems to be under the mistaken impression that I cannot see his posts.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

achilles
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10839
Likes: 132 posts
Liked in: 141 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm
Title: Much Eviler Than GOSD!


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby achilles » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:59 am

Okay, I'm thinking I can afford a policy. But I'm torn between an HMO, which I've never had, but have heard bad things about in general, or a PPO, which probably has dumped a lot of their best doctors and hospitals.
Achilles is the kind of evil that hollows out a volcano for a lair, and sends killer robots after his enemies.---Lord Simian

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Frag » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:24 pm

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration says it's granting a six-week extension until March 31 for Americans to sign up for coverage next year and avoid new tax penalties under the president's health care overhaul law.

Monday's move had been expected since White House spokesman Jay Carney promised quick action last week to resolve a "disconnect" in the implementation of the law. Technical problems continue to trouble the website that's supposed to be the main enrollment vehicle for people who don't get health care at work.

Under the new policy, people who sign up by the end of open enrollment season won't face a penalty.

Previously you had to sign up by the middle of February, so your coverage would take effect March 1.

The extension is for 2014 only.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3415
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Spektre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:WASHINGTON — The Obama administration says it's granting a six-week extension until March 31 for Americans to sign up for coverage next year and avoid new tax penalties under the president's health care overhaul law.

Monday's move had been expected since White House spokesman Jay Carney promised quick action last week to resolve a "disconnect" in the implementation of the law. Technical problems continue to trouble the website that's supposed to be the main enrollment vehicle for people who don't get health care at work.

Under the new policy, people who sign up by the end of open enrollment season won't face a penalty.

Previously you had to sign up by the middle of February, so your coverage would take effect March 1.

The extension is for 2014 only.


I'll wait to read confirmation of this but if true...
Interesting. So it is hostage taking terrorist acts if the Republicans make the offer to do this legally. However, the Prez is just fine with breaking the law so he can implement it on a whim.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3415
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Spektre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:24 pm

achilles wrote:Okay, I'm thinking I can afford a policy. But I'm torn between an HMO, which I've never had, but have heard bad things about in general, or a PPO, which probably has dumped a lot of their best doctors and hospitals.


In my experience you are reading the info right, but here is a key thing to look for.

HMOs almost always require referrals to go up the specialist ladder. From GP to specialist to subspecialist of necessary. Their benefits are almost always in network only.

PPOs traditionally have larger networks than HMOs, but as you have noticed these networks have shrunk considerably since the implementation of the colossal failure.

A key feature of most PPOs though is that they often have out of network benefits effectively letting you go to ANY doctor at the cost of reduced benefits. Check these features out.

Good luck.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Frag » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Spektre wrote:
I'll wait to read confirmation of this but if true...
Interesting. So it is hostage taking terrorist acts if the Republicans make the offer to do this legally. However, the Prez is just fine with breaking the law so he can implement it on a whim.


It's an AP story. http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-grant ... 18897.html

It still is hostage taking. They were using unrelated issues to shut down the government.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

Spektre
User avatar
Swedish Pinata of Death
 
Posts: 3415
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 131 posts
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Spektre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:33 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
It's an AP story. http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-grant ... 18897.html

It still is hostage taking. They were using unrelated issues to shut down the government.


Right. Congress proposing something sensible and implementing it legally is hostage taking.

The Prez, illegally disregarding the law to implement it by fiat is just swell.

Now eat your vegetables.
- Continuity is or it is not. There is no such thing as soft continuity.
- A character IS his continuity.
- Continuity is consistency of the characteristics of people, plot, objects, and places seen by the reader or viewer.

Frag
User avatar
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse
 
Posts: 36000
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 20 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby Frag » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Spektre wrote:
Right. Congress proposing something sensible and implementing it legally is hostage taking.

The Prez, illegally disregarding the law to implement it by fiat is just swell.

Now eat your vegetables.


Please educate me how this is illegal.

EDIT: Also, the Republicans wanted to delay the law. This just extends the time frame to sign up. Not the same thing.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.


Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117


Image

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76105
Likes: 427 posts
Liked in: 617 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Achilles - I have a Kaiser HMO and it is pretty awesome because A) Kaiser has everything you could need in-house, including a pharmacy and B) It's all paid for.

That being said, the Obamacare HMO is kind of shitty because it has PPO style copays and deductibles for everything. So it's not really like an HMO should be.

If you could get a decent HMO with low deductible and copays, then it would be better than a PPO for the money IMO.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

TimH
User avatar
cheese
 
Posts: 1222
Likes: 31 posts
Liked in: 178 posts
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:08 am


Re: ObamaCare Only Thread

Postby TimH » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:25 pm

achilles wrote:Well, the incompetence of ObamaCare in it's conception, entirely done by Democrats, is so colossal, even Democrats are abandoning it.


Yeah, but all this "free market solution" and "exchanges" began with Romneycare. The reason we can't go to single payer system (aka: "socialized medicine") is due to a lot of entrenched interests and the political bombshell of being called "a socialist".

Something has to change. Being entirely dependent on your employer for health care give your company and / or manager/boss entirely too much control over your life ("if you don't ask 'how hight?' when I say jump, I'll fire you or marginalize you out of the company, and your family will lose its healthcare").

I've lived through "socialized medicine" in the US Army and through my university days when I visited the college clinic for mono. Clinics have their share of problems, but many of those problems aren't solved by having a personal physician--and having to resort to the emergency room for everything because it can't turn you away makes the free clinic look like paradise. I've also experienced the banal horrors of the public hospitals in China (watching people carrying their unconscious family members from room to room and me hauling my daughter around, bleeding on my arm, because the doctor has no nurses to assist him).

However, the care was effective, if not very beautiful--at least no worse (just more impersonal) than what my personal physician provides (ps. my "personal physician" has at least 300 other patients...).

Something has to change. And accusing people of being "socialists" or "communists" when they even hint at changing the system isn't working. Hospitals need to change their billing practices, insurance companies need to change their business model, a ton of stuff needs to change, and nobody wants to change it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN NewsBlogs and 35 guests

Advertisement