Advertisement

Pacific Rim Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

pastajoe
FROGMAN

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Pacific Rim Thread

Postby pastajoe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Some of the issues that made it less than great for me:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Why not place a nuke at the site where the creatures enter our world, and when they detect one coming explode it, or have a sub with nukes within targeting range? They took out two with a nuke at the end. No one thought to try that before?

You would think they would put two new partners in a simulator to get used to each other, instead of just throwing them together on a mission with no training together.

You would think they would have all the pilots of the jaegers have some planning sessions together to plot strategy. They acted like they didn't even talk to each other.

The Russians were caracatures, reminded me of Drago from Rocky III.

The selection process for a partner. Again, why not see how they interact in a simulator. Instead they use a fight with sticks to appeal to the Japanese audience.

Why do the pairs of creatures always get one English and one Japanese name? Why not a Russian, Chinese, or even a scientific name? Again an obvious appeal to the Japanese audience.

Advertisement

Zechs
Staff Writer

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 pm

pastajoe wrote:Some of the issues that made it less than great for me:

Why not place a nuke at the site where the creatures enter our world, and when they detect one coming explode it, or have a sub with nukes within targeting range? They took out two with a nuke at the end. No one thought to try that before?

You would think they would put two new partners in a simulator to get used to each other, instead of just throwing them together on a mission with no training together.

You would think they would have all the pilots of the jaegers have some planning sessions together to plot strategy. They acted like they didn't even talk to each other.

The selection process for a partner. Again, why not see how they interact in a simulator. Instead they use a fight with sticks to appeal to the Japanese audience.

Why do the pairs of creatures always get one English and one Japanese name? Why not a Russian, Chinese, or even a scientific name? Again an obvious appeal to the Japanese audience.

They probably tried given how bare the Rim was when we saw it. But what else you going to do? Subs can't contend with Kaiju. They can still survive abit heavily damaged as shown with the Category 5.

The more experienced pilots didn't have to plan since they're linked. Only problem is these new kaiju fully adapted to these pair of Jaeger heavy hitters. The tail, the EMP blast, the acid, and strength. Both were fully adapted to be these Jaeger's doom.

I agree, I wanted more of them. I heard they and the Chinese trio had scenes cut.

I also agree, but I enjoyed the recruitment for the partner.

And of course, Japan is were this genre had it's biggest boom. Why not appeal to the people who made this genre what it was?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post

Postby doombug » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Rockman wrote:
We got a Roland Emmerich Godzilla :smt011

Let's see how this new guy does. let's be real with ourselves it is not like any of the Japanese Godzilla films are masterpieces.

Yeah but Godzilla 2000 man, come on. Only good thing it had going for it was the french badass. :lol:

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:59 pm

A fun movie.

Those who are too critical are ridiculous.

PDH
rubber spoon

Postby PDH » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Still can't wait to see this.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Seriously, best movie of the summer. :drunk

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:41 pm

doombug wrote:Seriously, best movie of the summer. :drunk

As much as I love RDJr, this movie was more entertaining overall than IM3.
-

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 am

outsider wrote:As much as I love RDJr, this movie was more entertaining overall than IM3.

:smt023

Thank you Troy for the sig

pastajoe
FROGMAN

Liked in: 1 post

Postby pastajoe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:03 am

doombug wrote:Seriously, best movie of the summer. :drunk

Man of Steel was better.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 am

I never understood the Transformers comparisons, really. I don't see how the public didn't get that it was 'Monsters vs. Robots'.

After seeing the movie, I realize that Pacific Rim is Independence Day: Next Generation (but similar to Star Trek vs. ST:TNG, we obviously get better actors the second time around! :lol: )
pastajoe wrote:
Man of Steel was better.
I liked a lot of things about Man of Steel, but I'd still give Pacific Rim the edge over it.
-

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:12 am

Fun movie but the acting and some of the scripting was atrocious.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

Apache Chef
Expert Post Whore

Postby Apache Chef » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:59 am

I saw it last night. I think I enjoyed it more than anything I've seen in a couple of years.

I hate that it's not doing well at the box office, because Hollywood really needs more original, non-franchised movies like this.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:19 am

Apache Chef wrote:I saw it last night. I think I enjoyed it more than anything I've seen in a couple of years.

I hate that it's not doing well at the box office, because Hollywood really needs more original, non-franchised movies like this.

Agreed.

I saw Despicable Me 2 before I saw PM and I was a little bored with DM. The problem is that DM will make a ton of money while PM won't even make back it's budget. :?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am

Rockman wrote:
We got a Roland Emmerich Godzilla :smt011

Let's see how this new guy does. let's be real with ourselves it is not like any of the Japanese Godzilla films are masterpieces.

Shut your whore mouth

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am

pastajoe wrote:Some of the issues that made it less than great for me:

They could probably take out a few but the monsters would probably "evolve" faster. Though it may seem odd, the nuke option was probably not desired (yeah I know the world was getting its ass kicked, but the first kaiju were destroyed with nukes, taking out SF)

Can't speak to the training/strategy. I don't know if we caught them at a particularly bad time or not. It did seem that a lot of previous battles were more solo.

I don't think they were really appealing to a Japanese audience. Probably the non-Japanese who see the practice as Asian, giving it Asian flair.

I think there were maybe three creatures with Japanese names? Otachi was one... Raiju was with two others (other two were Scrunner and Slattern, not sure what kind of names those were. The Onibaba one makes sense since that one attacked Japan. The rest of the kaiju maybe 8-10 of them had non-Japanese. Not that appealing to the Japanese I think.

I did find the naming very weird in the movie. The Jaeger names were really kind of odd. Did not feel Japanese to me.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum