Advertisement

Pacific Rim Thread

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Pacific Rim Thread

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I meant the two leads. I get that they fought well together, but backgrounds and compatibility were supposed to be a big deal too. And at that point in the movie, they were adversarial... romantic tension I guess. But given all the soldiers they had, and the importance, it seemed like a forced choice.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
The fact she knew Raleigh well and his movements as shown in the sparring match. Oh there was tension mind you but it was left to interpretation. Still, given what we know of Jaguer pilots yeah the two were soul mates and I buy that. Originally, del Toro had them kissing at the end but the test audiences didn't like that and favored what we got instead.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

this movie was plain out fun.

It's like a love letter to the cheesy old monster movies we grew up with and I really enjoyed it.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 25 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Pastajoe: Who is in your avatar?

Haven't seen this movie yet. But is it true that you barely see the monsters because it's always dark and raining?
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Rockman wrote:It's like a love letter to the cheesy old monster movies we grew up with and I really enjoyed it.

This exactly.

I went in not caring about the plot, or any holes that may exist in it, or in fact, whether there was actually a plot or not. I just wanted to see huge mecha against huge monsters. That's what I got and I loved it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:17 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:Pastajoe: Who is in your avatar?

Haven't seen this movie yet. But is it true that you barely see the monsters because it's always dark and raining?

I saw the monsters pretty clearly.

Thank you Troy for the sig

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:37 pm

pastajoe wrote:
Suspension of disbelief is different than implausible plot holes. If you assume these people are smart enough to build giant robots, then you would expect them to be smart enough to have strategic planning sessions, along with the other issues I stated in a previous post.

While entertaining, I preferred Man of Steel because it wasn't as predictable, was a new take on a well known story, and didn't have the numerous plot holes of Pacific Rim. But that's why Burger King makes it your way.

Burger King indeed. It seems to be really divisive. I'm wondering what people who didn't like it want out of a big summer movie, as I find them all equally predictable.
I'm also surprised you were able to stomach the end of Man of Steel (the destruction of metropolis not the Zod stuff), as I almost walked out.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:30 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:Pastajoe: Who is in your avatar?

Nope you can clearly see all the kaiju clearly save Knifehead (you only see his whole body once the rest of the time it's under water) and the Croc kaiju that shows up for the film's climax. You get a nice looks at Otachi and Leatherback especially.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 435 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:48 pm

It's mostly dark when the monsters turn up but it's shot in such a way that you can see what they look like pretty well.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:Burger King indeed. It seems to be really divisive. I'm wondering what people who didn't like it want out of a big summer movie, as I find them all equally predictable.

This is about what I expect out of a summer blockbuster type movie. I'd LIKE to see all of these special effects tied in with a really interesting story, deep characters, and a plot that hasn't been used for the last 30 years of summer blockbusters.

Hunnam is far better in any episode of SoA than in this. He just made this weird face the whole time. Pearlman just hammed it up (nicely, but still he's way more talented than this). Elba is the only one who seemed to try to take his character out of the cookie cutter, even if it was just a little bit.

And I did like it for what it was. The fight scenes were amazing, and there were definitely a lot of them. I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing it, I just think the character parts could have been better.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am

Thunderstorm wrote:
This is about what I expect out of a summer blockbuster type movie. I'd LIKE to see all of these special effects tied in with a really interesting story, deep characters, and a plot that hasn't been used for the last 30 years of summer blockbusters.

So have you seen that movie? It sounds like you've lived in disappointment every summer since 2002 if not earlier. Inception maybe, but those are some of the flattest characters (outside of Batman) Nolans dealt with and the plot is at its core a heist movie.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:50 am

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 112 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:20 am

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 528 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

You can write this up Zechs...

‘Pacific Rim’ $9M Opening In China Biggest Ever For Warner Bros: Sequel Likely Now

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just learned that momentum is building for a Pacific Rim sequel based on the international box office for the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros summer tentpole. The latest development is the 3D sci-fi actioner’s Wednesday opening in China to a record-breaking $9M. That’s a new high for any Warner Bros release and 23% bigger than for any Harry Potter film. Pacific Rim grossed a huge 70% of market share there. This is after the pic broke through to become the #1 film internationally on July 19-21 as it rolled out into less than half the global territories. Besides China, Pacific Rim today released in Spain and Japan, and August 9th in Brazil. The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the idea for the film) and co-scribe/director Guillermo del Toro’s film based on Legendary’s homegrown comic book will likely have a sequel.
Image Image Image ImageImage

sdsichero

Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Image Image Image ImageImage

sdsichero