Saturday, August 27, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Really just going to gloss over the wanting blacks to act as slaves-thing, huh?
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Keb wrote:Not really though. Hibbert had to apologize publicly for what he said during the NBA Playoffs on the air and Yunel Escobar got chased out of Toronto for having Spanish homophobic slurs on his eye blacks.

Kerry Rhodes though... :smt011


so they have to apologize?? do they lose their jobs, 9 times out of 10 they get suspended a game or two and fined but they don't get fired.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 pm

e_galston wrote:
so they have to apologize?? do they lose their jobs, 9 times out of 10 they get suspended a game or two and fined but they don't get fired.

Yeah. They're forced to apologize. And they lose money if the get suspended and fined. I'm not sure. Well, in Escobar's case, he did get traded. The dude's career in Toronto was done. And being an athlete that's known locally and throughout the sport and being a Food Network

If you're advocating that people should lose their jobs for spitting slurs, then you're not exactly helping the situation. I'm just pointing out that they don't get away with it, just as they don't get way with saying racial slurs in the game.
User avatar

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:53 pm

e_galston wrote:
yet its perfectly appropriate for sports players to use words derogratory to gay people, or women and STILL have a job??? Its not like she was saying it all the time or anything...

This. It's similar to Martha Stewart - people can't accept a succesful female.

Hell, if Deen had claimed to never use the n word, then I could understand tbe uproar. She's in her 60s and lives in Savannah - do you honestly believe that word ISN'T used today?
User avatar

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Robert Irvine waslet go for exaggerating his resume, yet they brought him back after a year or two.
Hopefully Deen will get the same consideration.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:59 pm

Amazing.
User avatar

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Really just going to gloss over the wanting blacks to act as slaves-thing, huh?

I bet there are still 'Old South' parties like that. I have no idea where they find black men willing to work them, but they went on at least 15 years ago, if not still today. Ask Chap if his frat still does them.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:21 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Really just going to gloss over the wanting blacks to act as slaves-thing, huh?


The whole thing is really insane. The weirdest part is how she was acting prior to today, as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of it. :lol:

That's what puts this story over the top. To say you want black slaves at your wedding is pretty bad. To say you want black slaves at your wedding... And that it's no big deal? That's some gangsta shit right there. :lol:
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:37 am

So now we should prevent black slaves from getting jobs at weddings? :roll:
User avatar

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The whole thing is really insane. The weirdest part is how she was acting prior to today, as if there was absolutely nothing wrong with any of it. :lol:

That's what puts this story over the top. To say you want black slaves at your wedding is pretty bad. To say you want black slaves at your wedding... And that it's no big deal? That's some gangsta shit right there. :lol:

That article is editorializing. The account I heard was she wanted them dressed in white coats & ties, not "slave" clothes.
LOL, I could see PD becoming a bigger separating factor in America than red state vs. blue state. :lol:

You have to understand that most Southerners Paula's age and older are very much like her. Casually racist but in denial of it. And no matter how many times we try to politely inform them of their wrongness, we are met with stubbornness and charm. So my generation is pretty much just letting them be and hoping/expecting that mindset to die out over the next 20 years. But it doesn't help when outsiders (no pun intended) start looking in and making commentary. I've met racist northerners, especially from Boston & Columbus, that put any Southerner to shame.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:42 pm

well she used a hurtful word, time to throw her in prison
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:33 pm

outsider wrote:That article is editorializing. The account I heard was she wanted them dressed in white coats & ties, not "slave" clothes.
LOL, I could see PD becoming a bigger separating factor in America than red state vs. blue state. :lol:

You have to understand that most Southerners Paula's age and older are very much like her. Casually racist but in denial of it. And no matter how many times we try to politely inform them of their wrongness, we are met with stubbornness and charm. So my generation is pretty much just letting them be and hoping/expecting that mindset to die out over the next 20 years. But it doesn't help when outsiders (no pun intended) start looking in and making commentary. I've met racist northerners, especially from Boston & Columbus, that put any Southerner to shame.


Hmmm. So you're saying Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Django Unchained is more charming than, say, GOSD?
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 pm

We should fire Keb the next time he uses "niggah". :P
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm

The fact that a judge held Deen in contempt of court for allegedly withholding evidence in the trial related to this mess probably didn't help things, either.

http://www.heavy.com/entertainment/2013/06/paula-deen-contempt-of-court/
User avatar

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:56 pm

She used the word in 1986 after a black man held a gun to her head, and she only told her husband. :lol: And she only 'mulled over' the wedding. If she actually did it, how would it be different than hiring black people to be slaves for a movie or play? This is only an issue because she's white. Probably also because she's Southern.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], GLX, Liam Moorhart, MSNbot Media, Sarahroo and 33 guests