Advertisement

Paula Deen Out at Food Network

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitargod694
User avatar
Rorshach Test Subject
 
Posts: 843
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:22 pm
Title: Total Spaceship Guy


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby guitargod694 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Rockman wrote:Racism will never be addressed seriously because it's a good diversion for the lower class. Why focus on the government fatcats sucking you dry when you can blame the brown person down the street?


This.
-Bill-

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 74687
Likes: 24 posts
Liked in: 25 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Rockman wrote:Racism will never be addressed seriously because it's a good diversion for the lower class. Why focus on the government fatcats sucking you dry when you can blame the brown person down the street?


Rockman understands.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

habitual
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18053
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 5 posts
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 am
Location: The Rock of Eternity
Title: Habinger of Doom!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby habitual » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Countering racism with anti-elitism is pure genius.

Really....

Hab

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Rockman wrote:I do feel that sometimes prejudice from the part of certain minority groups is justified because of the raw deal that group got in the past. I don't think that's really fair but what can you do, life isn't fair.

and Keb if I recall correctly about some of the stuff you dealt with growing up, it really sucks. One of my best friends went to a school that was 90% black, he got beat up almost every day because he was one of the only white kids there, and he was chubby (fatist too!!!) I really wouldn't wish that on anyone, and would hope that they wouldn't develop a sincere prejudice against the group for that happening to them, although I almost wouldn't blame if it did.

For me personally I've never encountered violence against me which was motivated by the color of my skin. I've experienced small slights because of it, but certainly nothing I'd really want to get bent out of shape about.

The only thing that happened to me once that really got me angry, I'm talking seeing red was a few years ago when I was teaching this math class. One of the kids in my class would never shut up when I was talking, every single day. So I punished him every single day (mostly sending him out into the hallway until I was done talking). So one day I go out to talk to him, and he accuses me of singling him out because he's black. That right there just infuriated me, never once in my life had I discriminated against someone because of the color of their skin, but this kid decides that his inability follow a simple direction wasn't the cause of the trouble he was in, but rather the teacher was a honky racist. :smt011
I had to walk away that time.

Yeah I'm not denying that blacks attack whites for being whites. I'm trying to explain why it's different. It's not any more or less awful, it's just as awful but it's a different kind of awful.

The problem with racism is demonstrated in your story perfectly. Were you given the benefit of the doubt?

The thing I keep saying about racism is that it's not about the "who does what to who" but about the attitudes that people have about it. The overt racism is easy to pick apart, but it's the subverted racism that people are in denial about. It's not about being followed around a store, it's about shit like "Nice job, blacks" going on for as long as it did and the people throwing their arms in the air in disbelief when other people admit that what's going on in the thread is hurtful to them.

Someone posted the Chris Rock "Blacks vs. Niggas" skit the other day and I don't think they had a fucking clue what it was really about.

I'm watching some thing on Oprah about Thomas Jefferson's jungle fever love children... :shock:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 65156
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 18 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah well the thing is people here don't realize that racism against blacks (or any other ethnic group) has come from a superior attitude of the past generations of whites. Racism towards whites by blacks (or any other ethnic group) comes from a negative reaction to that superior attitude that the minorities have had to deal with.

Actually, until racism and how and why it happens is understood by the majority, nothing will change.


It is understood why it happens. It's just not accepted by all, but within a narrow and often prejudiced perspective.

Keb wrote:
Oh, that happened a long time ago. Things are different. You need to get over it. Plus, whatever it was that made those blacks violent towards you was probably your own fault.

That's a paraphrase of shit I've been reading on this site for years. Someone has actually told me "get over" the discrimination I've experienced as a child. Do you really think the black person attacked you because he thought he was better than you? Probably not. He probably attacked you because he has been attacked by people who thought they were better than him. That's the usually the mentality when a minority lashes out against the majority. It's not a matter of "I hate you because you're less than.", it's a matter of "I hate you because someone who looks like you made me feel less than."

It's not a pissing contest. It's me absolutely fed up with the attitude that when someone stands up for a group of people I identify with, I become the bad guy that's constantly perpetuated by posters at this site.


I've told to get over it or I was at fault period all my life. Doesn't make it so. I was attacked because I was white. I was attacked for being a Jew. Some were kind enough to let me know as they did it. First time I was attacked for being a Jew was at 5 years old and by an adult. Nothing like being kicked and called a heeb. First actual attack for being white was a black kid when I was 7. It was typical kid thing, but i was still called white and a couple of other slurs. Shit happens to all folks. Oh as for people who were black and thought they were better then me? Yeah, I have met them on transit. Mind you it tended to only be verbal and in a couple of cases, funny. People will always pull shit on others and give some reason in their mind for it. Still does not make it right. I've a friend who's Filipino who's been told by told to "go back where you came from" by Chinese more then whites.

No it is a pissing contest. Both of you are trying to make the other believe the other is right, the other is wrong and here's proof of how much more the one is the victim while the other lies/exaggerates on the quantities. What you described is the same feeling that Thunderstorm and others feel. Neither of you are bad guys, but neither are you good guys since you both want to bludgeon each other with "who the victim really is". Mind you, both are incredibly civil about it which is awesome. But still sad that the impasse is there as you both have expressed the same feelings, just for the groups you belong to or choose to feel for.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
It is understood why it happens. It's just not accepted by all, but within a narrow and often prejudiced perspective.



I've told to get over it or I was at fault period all my life. Doesn't make it so. I was attacked because I was white. I was attacked for being a Jew. Some were kind enough to let me know as they did it. First time I was attacked for being a Jew was at 5 years old and by an adult. Nothing like being kicked and called a heeb. First actual attack for being white was a black kid when I was 7. It was typical kid thing, but i was still called white and a couple of other slurs. Shit happens to all folks. Oh as for people who were black and thought they were better then me? Yeah, I have met them on transit. Mind you it tended to only be verbal and in a couple of cases, funny. People will always pull shit on others and give some reason in their mind for it. Still does not make it right. I've a friend who's Filipino who's been told by told to "go back where you came from" by Chinese more then whites.

No it is a pissing contest. Both of you are trying to make the other believe the other is right, the other is wrong and here's proof of how much more the one is the victim while the other lies/exaggerates on the quantities. What you described is the same feeling that Thunderstorm and others feel. Neither of you are bad guys, but neither are you good guys since you both want to bludgeon each other with "who the victim really is". Mind you, both are incredibly civil about it which is awesome. But still sad that the impasse is there as you both have expressed the same feelings, just for the groups you belong to or choose to feel for.

It's not a pissing contest between Thunderstorm and I. It's a discourse. It's what people do. The issue I had earlier in the thread is that people want are seeking to justify Paula Deen's racism and racism towards blacks by bringing up racism towards whites. Two wrongs don't make a right.

And also, because you were beat up by blacks, that does not mean you get a pass to make racist and ignorant comments like the one you made about me on page one (or two) of this thread.

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 65156
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 18 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm

Keb wrote:It's not a pissing contest between Thunderstorm and I. It's a discourse. It's what people do. The issue I had earlier in the thread is that people want are seeking to justify Paula Deen's racism and racism towards blacks by bringing up racism towards whites. Two wrongs don't make a right.


No, it's a pissing contest alright. You still argue based on slights whom are more slighted, so as to address the Paula Deen issue and your sides of the argument about her.

Keb wrote:And also, because you were beat up by blacks, that does not mean you get a pass to make racist and ignorant comments like the one you made about me on page one (or two) of this thread.


Being shot at? Does that count? That you do drop that comment repeatedly at this website and therefore is not racist on my part. You truly are being ignorant of your own short comings. If two wrongs do not make a right, why continue making that wrong you try to make here?
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:32 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:And then there are all the cases where black people really are discriminated against, every day, for the color of their skin. Here's 375,000 examples: https://twitter.com/stopandfrisk (though the individual race of each person is not revealed here, statistics show it is 55% black people and 30% Latino. Of course, that leaves the 15% remainder of white people (or Asians and Pacific Islanders), who are I'm sure the real vicitms. :roll:


Who's committing the crimes there, Jude? If you want a racial breakdown of how much violent crime is committed in this country, or any country, by blacks I can post it. I know you already know it though, there isn't one honest person who doesn't.

You have people in the black community who want people do do something about the crime in their community, but you have you guys crying a god damn river over their poor little hurt feelings. Then when we see 50 people shot every weekend in Chicago, it's "Oh well there's nothing we can do!". Well no shit. You guys cock-block everything that would actually prevent it.

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Since you're citing personal anecdotes, I've found the opposite here. I've both directly and indirectly encountered more discrimination then blacks and have found that also with violence. I've been attacked far more by blacks then whites or most any other group. Mostly during the last 20 years to note. I also hear from the majority of whites that, no, they do face racial discrimination and more so as time progresses. I also hear this from other groups as well such as South East Asians.

So your raw numbers are interesting. I can see that in the US the numbers will be different, but really, I wonder about the veracity of any statistics given that both of you are citing that most numbers are "swept under the rug" in regards to your argument. Also, you both are intermingling anecdotes from your own lives and others you know/are related to in more then just North America. It seems to be that the arguments, both, fall apart as it sets that both are just as founded or unfounded.

In the end, I think while both of you are being civil, you're both engaging in a "pissing contest" here.


I do think the hate crime stats are skewed and there's nothing either of us can do about that. I don't think they are skewed to the point of being wholly false. Take them at face value and pretend there are no more Hispanics in the world. It still tells the same story.

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Keb wrote:It's not a pissing contest. It's me absolutely fed up with the attitude that when someone stands up for a group of people I identify with, I become the bad guy that's constantly perpetuated by posters at this site.


Think what you want, but I don't believe anyone here thinks of you as a bad guy. You've been cooler with me than most of the white people here. :)

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Rockman wrote:Racism will never be addressed seriously because it's a good diversion for the lower class. Why focus on the government fatcats sucking you dry when you can blame the brown person down the street?


Sometimes brown people down the street will suck you dry. :groucho:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 65156
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 18 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
I do think the hate crime stats are skewed and there's nothing either of us can do about that. I don't think they are skewed to the point of being wholly false. Take them at face value and pretend there are no more Hispanics in the world. It still tells the same story.


I don't really believe in statistics. They always prove to be either skewed from the start to give a pre-desired answer or are just sloppy work.

Hate crimes stats are bullshit as they will always show more hatred/favor then not. They do no one any good.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

The Old Doctor
User avatar
A Damn Cuddly Beast
 
Posts: 65156
Likes: 27 posts
Liked in: 18 posts
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Toronto, ONT, Canadah
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:
Think what you want, but I don't believe anyone here thinks of you as a bad guy. You've been cooler with me than most of the white people here. :)


Bad? Good? Cool? Describes you both at various time, but - You are both having a pissing contest. :smt013

You both are pissed off over pretty much the same reasons, just not the very specific ones.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

Image
IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39100
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Keb » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
No, it's a pissing contest alright. You still argue based on slights whom are more slighted, so as to address the Paula Deen issue and your sides of the argument about her.



Being shot at? Does that count? That you do drop that comment repeatedly at this website and therefore is not racist on my part. You truly are being ignorant of your own short comings. If two wrongs do not make a right, why continue making that wrong you try to make here?

No, it doesn't. Paula Deen doesn't get a "nigger pass" with a gun to her head and neither do you. My best friend didn't get a whitey pass when he was held in a cell overnight for being out in Burlington after 11pm. If there's a pissing contest going on, it's here with your "slights whom are more slighted". All I've got from you in this thread is that I'm wrong for sticking up for black people in this thread.

And if you want to talk about me saying "nigga" on this site, it's something I've stopped doing a while back as it was brought to my attention privately by a poster who had an issue with it. And if you want to get into semantics, I've NEVER used it in a hateful context here or on at any other time in my life. If I use that word with friends, it's with one of two people who I am comfortable saying it around. I don't randomly scream it at strangers on the subway and I don't throw it around as a derogatory term. Friends from the OH and non-white friends of mine have used that term with me in conversation and I don't have a problem so long as they use it in a context that is not meant to be hurtful or derogatory.

If you have a problem with me using that word, PM me and ask me not to. If you have a problem with black people using it, then you've got yourself a really big problem. Don't try to make it some joke among friends because you and I are not friends and never have been. When you make a statement like that, you show me that you're trying to push my buttons and you are truly ignorant of the word, its context and how and why it was appropriated for that specific use.

Thunderstorm
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 18629
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!


Re: Paula Deen Out at Food Network

Postby Thunderstorm » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
Bad? Good? Cool? Describes you both at various time, but - You are both having a pissing contest. :smt013

You both are pissed off over pretty much the same reasons, just not the very specific ones.


I don't see it as that. He's got his issues and I've got mine. I don't think either of us is denying the others point by making our own. I do see your point though.

However...

http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/25/news/co ... index.html

Orders for "Paula Deen's New Testament: 250 Favorite Recipes, All Lightened Up" surged on Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) by nearly 1,300% in the last 24 hours.

The cookbook was ranked 115th on Tuesday, compared to a ranking of 1,592nd on Monday

"Paula Deen's New Testament" is not available until October.

Another cookbook, "Paula Deen's Southern Cooking Bible," jumped 114% to Amazon sales rank 350, from 750 in the prior 24 hours.


She makes religious-themed cookbooks? :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chap22, FaceBook [Linkcheck], HNutz and 48 guests

Advertisement