Advertisement

Pet Peeve du Jour: (Japanese-Artist)-San

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 319 posts

Pet Peeve du Jour: (Japanese-Artist)-San

Postby TimH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:00 pm

I love the fashion of reverently addressing Japanese artists in English with "san" like Miyazaki-san, Koike-san, whoever-san.

We should start addressing Ed Benes as "Senhor Benes" and Guillem March as "Senor March".
Jo Chen as "Chen Tai" or "Chen Xiansheng"

Wait, I'm going to write a comic book that features Japanese characters, but I'll stick to fashion and smatter it with Japanese words. "Good morning, Tanaka-san! Come into my Chakan. Might I interest you in ocha? Oh, look out the window. It's a kitsuri running past with its bushy red tail.

Did anybody read that arc in Fairest with the Japanese fables? I took three semesters of Japanese and still needed a translator--and the story was nominally written in English! Gah! "Oyasmi nasai!" That is how we say good night in Japan. It means, "Good night". No, literally, it means "good night". There's nothing lost in translation. I'm just going to say "oyasmi nasai" (in italics even) because we Japanese in fiction must always provide language instruction. Nevermind that the Chinese character over there gets to say "good night" as if it was no big deal in his language. And people would make fun of the German guy if he said, "Guten nicht! That is how we say "good night" in Deutschland (italics)."

Oyasmi nasai! boku ga nihongo jyozu da ne. anatowa? hahaha. In Japan, it is considered respectful to always explain a common expression first in Japanese, then in English. Especially if you are samurai (SAH-MOO-DYE, and don't insert a 'the', dammit). It is way of Bushi. BUSHIDO. That is term invented during Meiji dynasty to fool GAIJIN. Hai! Grasshoppa! Wait, no, "grahss-hoppa"--thot is fake Chinese! Hai-yah! That is me give fake kurotty chop! Way of Gensu cleaver! $49.99 if you order now! I mean in next five minutes! YES. FORTUNE COOKIE. It is way of our ancestors. You show great honor by reading your fortune over OCHA! Then we watch "Anime"--that is where latin word "animation" come from! Me Big Chief Red Cloud. You know why the Red Man red?

Why does he ask you, "How?"
Why does he ask you, "How?"
Once the Injun didn't know
All the things that he know now
But the Injun, he sure learn a lot
And it's all from asking, "How?"

In way of ORIGAMIDO we say KONNICHIWA. That means "bon jour" in Japonaise!

:derp:

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1143 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Pet Peeve du Jour: (Japanese-Artist)-San

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:34 pm

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

sdsichero