Wednesday, December 7, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Putting the yellow back into journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Presenting a Paper at Oxford University This Wednesday

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:43 pm

So, this week I'm flying to the UK to attend the third annual Conference of the Graphic Novel at Mansfield College, Oxford. I'll be presenting a paper there: The Super-Heroine's Journey: Comics, Gender and the Monomyth, with a very real chance of being asked to expand it into a proper 25-page book chapter. It's my first academic conference, it's at Oxford, and I'm the first guy up on the opening day. There may be some nerves setting in, if only mildly.

So yeah - the Outhouse at Oxford. Top o' the world, Ma!

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:46 pm

That's pretty cool. Congrats.

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Wow! :shock:

That's something to be proud of.

Best of luck to you. Brave being the first guy up too. 8)

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:06 pm

That is very cool. :)

Good luck and enjoy your moment.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks guys! I'm actually going to be in the UK for ten days - the conference lasts for three days, and after that I'll be heading to London. I have a letter of recommendation to give to the British Library, and so should be able to use their facilities for research. I missed the big exhibition of comic art there, but have arranged a meeting with the curator to discuss it.

All in all, it's going to be a great and useful trip. I've never been away from Susanne and the kids for more than a day, though. That's going to be tough.

Pizza Dog

Dog of Pizza

Postby Pizza Dog » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Bring jumpers/coats... it's pretty cold and wet here (UK) at the mo. :| :|

muddyglass

dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:14 pm

good luck at oxford, nieto. there's just nothing like doing academic work for a living! :D

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm

muddyglass wrote:good luck at oxford, nieto. there's just nothing like doing academic work for a living! :D

I know, right? Greatest job in the world.

Sarahroo

Great Scott!!!

Postby Sarahroo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Whoa! Just whoa!
Congratulations!

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:36 pm

Awesome! Congrats, dude! Enjoy! :drunk

(Guess that Florida conference never came through, though, huh? :()

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Presenting?

comics23n-5-web.jpg

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:47 pm

Awesome sauce. I remember the first pre-presentation jitters I had and I'll give you the same advice someone gave me.

You know your topic better than anyone else here or you wouldn't have been invited to present.

Spektre

penile prisoner

Postby Spektre » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:48 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Presenting?

comics23n-5-web.jpg

And I was going to just keep that joke in my head...LOL.

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:52 am

Lord Simian wrote:Awesome! Congrats, dude! Enjoy! :drunk

(Guess that Florida conference never came through, though, huh? :()

It was awkwardly timed. I couldn't afford to go on my own dime, and it was some months before the year's travel stipends were announced. I do want to attend it one year, though...

achilles

PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Postby achilles » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:55 am

Congrats! Somehow, the Outhouse and Oxford weren't words I ever connected before. 8)

leave a comment with facebook