Advertisement

Queer Heroes

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Re: Queer Heroes

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

Advertisement

TheSecondLex
cheese

Formerly: alexeiluthor

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:24 pm

[quote="Arion"]

Maybe you should convince your brother that he is the one going through a phase... the heterosexual phase. I've heard is quite a nasty phase that left unattended can generate some serious consequences.

Pretty much. A sentient disease that will ravage you for eighteen years, that's what a hetero phase creates.

Kids. Chris is talking about kids. ;)
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:

Love it. This post made me laugh. Good work buddy.

And Roman, yeah, you're right.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm

you are welcome, Ari!

And merry everyone and so on. I don't get the whole Jesus thing, but it's nice to be with family and friends--and all of you, who make me feel pretty good inside and stuff :)
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:05 pm

I've always had more in common with the Grinch than any other holiday figure, but the Grinch before he gave the presents back, you know, the non-pussy Grinch.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:07 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I've always had more in common with the Grinch than any other holiday figure, but the Grinch before he gave the presents back, you know, the non-pussy Grinch.

/sawitfirstontwitter'd :P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Quiet you.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:49 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:you are welcome, Ari!

And merry everyone and so on. I don't get the whole Jesus thing, but it's nice to be with family and friends--and all of you, who make me feel pretty good inside and stuff :)

Ohhh, that's so nice of you. Thank you and my best wishes.

Roman, we all like you, even if you turned into Santa Claus.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:53 am

every December week 5, I make a list of comics to get the next year. This year saw the following get collected into Team Lex's shelves:

--Batman Tales of the Demon
--Batman A Death in the Family (new ed., includes 'A Lonely Place of Dying')
--Batman Nine Lives
--Daredevil by Bendis (new 'Ultimate Collection', 3vols)
--Daredevil by Brubaker (new 'Ultimate Collection', 3vols)
--Scott Pilgrim (2nd place for Best Graphic Fiction I've Read This Year)
--Fantastic Four by Waid/Wieringo (new 'Ultimate Collection', 4vols)
--Avengers: The Trial of Yellowjacket (3rd place, Best Graphic Fiction I've Read This Year)
--Essential Captain Marvel vol 1
--Essential Daredevil vols 1-5
--Essential Fantastic Four vols 1-5
--Avengers: The Bride of Ultron
--Avengers: The Children's Crusade
--Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War
--Essential Adam Warlock (Winner--Best Graphic Fiction Team Lex Has Read This Year)

The following collections were completed:
--Batman No Man's Land (4vols, "bighonkinTPBs")
--Fantastic Four/FF by Jonathan Hickman

...and, against all reason, because I saw them @ SuperFly Comics and Games in Yellow Springs OH, one day....wait for it...

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic (5vols) and The Complete Ben Reilly Saga Epic (6vols). Am I glutton for punishment or what?

Next year?
--Essential Captain Marvel vol 2
--Jack Kirby's OMAC
--Kamandi The Last Boy on Earth Omnibus (2vols)
--Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus vol 4 (vols 1-3 already acquired)
--Legends of the Batman Marshall Rogers
--Solo Deluxe Edition HC
--Batman Black and White (3vols)
and many more...!

God willing...happy 2013 everyone!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:every December week 5, I make a list of comics to get the next year. This year saw the following get collected into Team Lex's shelves:

--Batman Tales of the Demon
--Batman A Death in the Family (new ed., includes 'A Lonely Place of Dying')
--Batman Nine Lives
--Daredevil by Bendis (new 'Ultimate Collection', 3vols)
--Daredevil by Brubaker (new 'Ultimate Collection', 3vols)
--Scott Pilgrim (2nd place for Best Graphic Fiction I've Read This Year)
--Fantastic Four by Waid/Wieringo (new 'Ultimate Collection', 4vols)
--Avengers: The Trial of Yellowjacket (3rd place, Best Graphic Fiction I've Read This Year)
--Essential Captain Marvel vol 1
--Essential Daredevil vols 1-5
--Essential Fantastic Four vols 1-5
--Avengers: The Bride of Ultron
--Avengers: The Children's Crusade
--Avengers: The Kree-Skrull War
--Essential Adam Warlock (Winner--Best Graphic Fiction Team Lex Has Read This Year)

The following collections were completed:
--Batman No Man's Land (4vols, "bighonkinTPBs")
--Fantastic Four/FF by Jonathan Hickman

...and, against all reason, because I saw them @ SuperFly Comics and Games in Yellow Springs OH, one day....wait for it...

Spider-Man: The Complete Clone Saga Epic (5vols) and The Complete Ben Reilly Saga Epic (6vols). Am I glutton for punishment or what?

Next year?
--Essential Captain Marvel vol 2
--Jack Kirby's OMAC
--Kamandi The Last Boy on Earth Omnibus (2vols)
--Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus vol 4 (vols 1-3 already acquired)
--Legends of the Batman Marshall Rogers
--Solo Deluxe Edition HC
--Batman Black and White (3vols)
and many more...!

God willing...happy 2013 everyone!

I'm interested in that Batman A Death in the Family new edition. What kind of paper does it have? Any bonus material?

Avengers: The Children's Crusade is the best title I've read in 2012. Love it, love it, love it. Of course, I've always been a huge Wiccan & Hulkling fan.

The clone saga, oh dear, just tell me you are not masochistic where it really counts (in the bedroom).

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Arion wrote:I'm interested in that Batman A Death in the Family new edition. What kind of paper does it have? Any bonus material?

Avengers: The Children's Crusade is the best title I've read in 2012. Love it, love it, love it. Of course, I've always been a huge Wiccan & Hulkling fan.

The clone saga, oh dear, just tell me you are not masochistic where it really counts (in the bedroom).

1. DITF includes 'A Lonely Place of Dying' on glossy stock (ie., the kind in recent editions of The Long Halloween or your average weekly comic, for reference), a foreword by Denny O'Neill and an interword (between DITF and LPOD) by Marv Wolfman. The Wolfman one, AFAIK, is new to this collection and is very cool. He's very much in love with the work he did on Titans and Tim Drake. Makes me miss my Post-Crisis, pre-Infinite Crisis comic reading youth.

2.Children's Crusade is also very good, but I have issues with the way they treated Doom. Mostly his taking credit for Wanda's breakdown and by extension the whole of Avenges Disassembled. Considering how he was, y'know, in a different dimension at the time (a direct result of stuff that had happened during Mark Waid's tenure on Fantastic Four), it seemed unlikely. So I chalked it up to a Doombot's delirium, completely losing his shit at being bested by some homo and his shapeshifter BF :)

3. No, to answer your question. Just a sadist. And I really really enjoy Norman Osborn, which is the prime mover behind 11 (eleven!) volumes at 39.99 a pop. The only thing is I had to wait through 6 volumes of the Ben Reilly shit alone just to get to him. Add another five previously for the Clone Saga proper. I'm told that the Clone Saga is a Marvel response to DC's events at the time, a way to compete with them--Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall--but I guess I don't see it. Despite the flagship status as Marvel's biggest moneymaker, and his centrality to the whole universe I guess I never thought of Spider-Man as an event comic. So Marvel, in a way, has spent 20 years proving me wrong. And yet I'm not complaining. I've come to view my comic collecting as a kind of archeology: as I turn more and more towards older collections (70s, Essentials, Showcase Presents, Masterworks) it all becomes an effort and reconstructing lost civilisations of nerddom--and piecing together how writers and Editorial saw readers in those days and the sensibilities they had and were trying to pass on to the reader. Very interesting stuff actually. Maybe I should blog it?? ;)

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 am

TheSecondLex wrote:
1. DITF includes 'A Lonely Place of Dying' on glossy stock (ie., the kind in recent editions of The Long Halloween or your average weekly comic, for reference), a foreword by Denny O'Neill and an interword (between DITF and LPOD) by Marv Wolfman. The Wolfman one, AFAIK, is new to this collection and is very cool. He's very much in love with the work he did on Titans and Tim Drake. Makes me miss my Post-Crisis, pre-Infinite Crisis comic reading youth.

2.Children's Crusade is also very good, but I have issues with the way they treated Doom. Mostly his taking credit for Wanda's breakdown and by extension the whole of Avenges Disassembled. Considering how he was, y'know, in a different dimension at the time (a direct result of stuff that had happened during Mark Waid's tenure on Fantastic Four), it seemed unlikely. So I chalked it up to a Doombot's delirium, completely losing his shit at being bested by some homo and his shapeshifter BF :)

3. No, to answer your question. Just a sadist. And I really really enjoy Norman Osborn, which is the prime mover behind 11 (eleven!) volumes at 39.99 a pop. The only thing is I had to wait through 6 volumes of the Ben Reilly shit alone just to get to him. Add another five previously for the Clone Saga proper. I'm told that the Clone Saga is a Marvel response to DC's events at the time, a way to compete with them--Death and Return of Superman, Knightfall--but I guess I don't see it. Despite the flagship status as Marvel's biggest moneymaker, and his centrality to the whole universe I guess I never thought of Spider-Man as an event comic. So Marvel, in a way, has spent 20 years proving me wrong. And yet I'm not complaining. I've come to view my comic collecting as a kind of archeology: as I turn more and more towards older collections (70s, Essentials, Showcase Presents, Masterworks) it all becomes an effort and reconstructing lost civilisations of nerddom--and piecing together how writers and Editorial saw readers in those days and the sensibilities they had and were trying to pass on to the reader. Very interesting stuff actually. Maybe I should blog it?? ;)

1. Sounds like I should put this on my list. I hate my old Death in the Family tpb.

2. Don't assume that because two Marvel titles are published the same month then they must share the same timeline. Anyway, since I had no idea where Doom was I had no problem with that. Still, I was there to see Wiccan and Hulkling and that's what made me happy, oh yes, verrrrry happy.

3. How is that sadism? It's masochism, and a very serious case I tell ya! I just hope your brain won't dry out and your eyes won't fall out after all this. Oh well, as long as you enjoy them. And yes, a blog would be great.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Arion wrote:
Ohhh, that's so nice of you. Thank you and my best wishes.

Roman, we all like you, even if you turned into Santa Claus.

I don't see that happening, but thanks. :)

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:
I don't see that happening, but thanks. :)

That's a relief...

You're welcome.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Then blog I guess I shall, Ari!

Also, my christmas gifts to myself arrived via USPS yesterday, Jack Kirby's Fourth World omnibi vols 2-4. Once I get them all read and finished, I'll blog that blog, Ari.

happy american new year all :)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum