Tuesday, July 26, 2016 • Evening Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Queer Heroes

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm alright. Stuck in a dead end job situation right now, whihc is whatever. I've still got my health though. Right? Right?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:I'm alright. Stuck in a dead end job situation right now, whihc is whatever. I've still got my health though. Right? Right?


Health is VERY important. Don't you forget that.

Dead end is better than nothing at all (my case). Meanwhile, remember the job interview I mentioned last time? I got a second interview with them scheduled for tomorrow. I'm really excited about this, it's a good paying position and I knew there'd be a lot of competition, I'm just thrilled I'm not out of the game yet.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:03 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:I'm alright. Stuck in a dead end job situation right now, whihc is whatever. I've still got my health though. Right? Right?


Hey, you changed your avatar!

And good news, I got the job! Although after the taxes and all that stuff I realize it isn't as much as I expected.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:48 pm

Here's a post that might be of interest:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-clay ... 39537.html
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:52 am

Arion wrote:
Hey, you changed your avatar!

And good news, I got the job! Although after the taxes and all that stuff I realize it isn't as much as I expected.



yep decided to revert to my new Marvel mancrush: Adam Warlock. Tall blonde, fit and mysterious? If Team Lex has a type, there you go :)
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 am

And Great Lakes Xtube? At the expense of creating a flame war, I like that article. I've read Audre Lorde many times and I see where she's coming from. Porbably the only adovicate-author I could say I really get on with or care to understand--that is, the only one with any kind of measured response (for counterpoint, see any Advocate magazine article ever, any Crew magazine article ever, Michel Foucault, or the horribly horrible Anais Nin, who was really just interested in boning as a pseudo-sexual exercise--but I digress!).

I agree (bad word usage, b/c there's more to it, but anyway) that the community undercuts itself when it talks about privelige and advocacy etc: all these things that we're meant to think give us a pass to luxuriate in our distinctiveness. Fact of the matter is, though, there are a lot more minorities out there, with dare I say more pressing problems. It's an issue, somewhat akin to the free speech bromide 'either you have it or you don't'. Either there's equality for all or equality for none. There are lots of other things that go onto this, but the over-idea seems to be something like 'we must all hang together or we'll hand separately'. A cozy, Three Musketeers egalitarianism--if that's even close to hitting the semiotics on the head. I rather think it isn't--because of the sheer complexity of teh issue, but again, let's roll with it.

I also like this bit:
Baldwin explains that white LGBTQ men and women feel slighted precisely because they know that had they been straight, they would have been heirs to incomparable privilege. In a 1984 interview with Richard Goldstein, then the editor of the Village Voice, Baldwin said, "I think white gay people feel cheated because they were born, in principle, in a society in which they were supposed to be safe. The anomaly of their sexuality puts them in danger, unexpectedly." He went on to say:

Their reaction seems to me in direct proportion to their sense of feeling cheated of the advantages which accrue to white people in a white society. There's an element, it has always seemed to me, of bewilderment and complaint. Now that may sound very harsh, but the gay world as such is no more prepared to accept black people than anywhere else in society.


The word that sticks out most to me there is 'Complaint'. I'd happily expound more on this later. If the group which I've now probably incensed with my heterodoxy will allow it.

#bravehearttegan
#walkingoneggshells
#commonsenseandreasonablediscourse
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:59 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:And Great Lakes Xtube? At the expense of creating a flame war, I like that article. I've read Audre Lorde many times and I see where she's coming from. Porbably the only adovicate-author I could say I really get on with or care to understand--that is, the only one with any kind of measured response (for counterpoint, see any Advocate magazine article ever, any Crew magazine article ever, Michel Foucault, or the horribly horrible Anais Nin, who was really just interested in boning as a pseudo-sexual exercise--but I digress!).

I agree (bad word usage, b/c there's more to it, but anyway) that the community undercuts itself when it talks about privelige and advocacy etc: all these things that we're meant to think give us a pass to luxuriate in our distinctiveness. Fact of the matter is, though, there are a lot more minorities out there, with dare I say more pressing problems. It's an issue, somewhat akin to the free speech bromide 'either you have it or you don't'. Either there's equality for all or equality for none. There are lots of other things that go onto this, but the over-idea seems to be something like 'we must all hang together or we'll hand separately'. A cozy, Three Musketeers egalitarianism--if that's even close to hitting the semiotics on the head. I rather think it isn't--because of the sheer complexity of teh issue, but again, let's roll with it.

I also like this bit:


The word that sticks out most to me there is 'Complaint'. I'd happily expound more on this later. If the group which I've now probably incensed with my heterodoxy will allow it.

#bravehearttegan
#walkingoneggshells
#commonsenseandreasonablediscourse


We shall allow it!

Really, I always value honest and intelligent opinions. And I really enjoyed this post.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

thanks Ari. I'll post some more thoughts lata

:)
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:33 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:thanks Ari. I'll post some more thoughts lata

:)


Yes please, but do it on Monday. I won't be here during the weekend.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 pm

what's up boners?


So I picked up The perks of being a wallflower from the local supermarche the other night( the movie, I mean), and I know the movie came out in September and the book like 13 years ago, so I'm late, but suck it. In case you haven't seen it....go. Go buy it now and watch it.

It's an extremely pared down, sleeker version of the novel. For example it leaves out extraneity (if that's not a word, I'm totally coining it, from the douchebag word for extraneous material) like Charlie smoking and discovering how to jerk the gherkin (immature euphemisms FTW), but otherwise keeps the basic story intact: an extremely isolated, socially backward boy trying to find his way in the vast jungle that is High School.

Here's where it gets weirdly autobiographical for me. High school was not a problem for me (inquire within, however, about college!). I was pretty alone or whatever for the first two years but I had extra curriculars (re: friends whether i wanted them or not) that kept me occupied. Alright, it was marching band, but still. And so on.

The point of Perks though is not comparative lives, but to see Charlie in his own terms--the greatest trope in fiction is not relatability but comparison: how close, or not, the subject of your attention is or isn't like you, and what that kind of analysis tells you. About you. Even if you're 'reading just to be entertained'--everyone is--it still becomes or can be essentially intellectual. It becomes self-analysis, and mirroring. Not to say that my life, then, was any better or worse off than Charlie's. Differently mirroring something remains mirroring none the less, for in Charlie's life and the lives of his friends we see parts of ourselves--almost as surely as if every Jack Kirby character was part of the King himself or his experiences (Ben Grimm, Orion, Scott Free, even Stan L--er, Funky Flashman).

I think juvenile lit--or a better term for it, the Bildungsroman--has this sense of mirroring built in. Think Catcher in the Rye, think Speak, think even All Quiet on the Western Front. What are these people telling us? How much are these people like us, if at all.

I first read the novelisation of Perks in 2008 because the boy I was dating at the time was way into it and thought himself Charlie and extolled the virtues of wallflowerism--the apparent joy that comes with luxuriating on the sidelines and observing. I read the book and pared ti down and told Michael I disagreed with him. I threw some AP English BS interpretation at him, much I'm doing now, and half-baed some flawed Objectivism (The Fountainhead was huge in our AP class, so there's that). Anywho.

Still, I think of the book often, and I enjoyed the crap out of the film. Beyond faithfulness to its source (the book's writer also wrote the screenplay and directed), Perks is a very good story. It's self-examinating lit on the Salinger or John Knowles mode: the person at its centre grows and becomes a different person in a world that is stupid and does not make sense. The kind of weird, depressive and flawed-character books we here at Team Lex like reading about :)

It's worth reading and/or watching. Which is the best possible review for any work. Ever.

Go buy the movie. More importantly, read the book.

Nownownow.
User avatar

ThatGuyRoman

dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:37 pm

Good evening folks. Been a little bit...
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:Good evening folks. Been a little bit...


Well, as long as none of us follow you on Twitter. :P

What's kept you away from the site?
User avatar

ThatGuyRoman

dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:21 pm

GLX wrote:
Well, as long as none of us follow you on Twitter. :P

What's kept you away from the site?




Life, drama, video games ... mostly video games.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:


Life, drama, video games ... mostly video games.


I just downloaded Fire Emblem Awakening, so I might be spending more time with that than Twitter and The Outhouse.
User avatar

ThatGuyRoman

dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:15 am

GLX wrote:
I just downloaded Fire Emblem Awakening, so I might be spending more time with that than Twitter and The Outhouse.



I got that AND a whole shitload of PS3 games all crying out for my attention. Working on the Walking Dead Season 1 game and Saints Row 3.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, BarrySagittarius, Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], GiveWarAChance, Google [Bot], Grayson, Herald, The_Phenomenal_Sage, TheLurker, Yahoo [Bot] and 52 guests