Thursday, August 16, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Blacklisted since 2012."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Queer Heroes

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:45 pm

to be fair, Ari, Mazz only worked with the Great One on Born Again. The brunt of his DD run on monthly was with himself and Janson (later, post-181 it became more Janson's thing I'd say at least in presentation). And of course the inimitable JRJR worked with him on Man Without Fear, which I'm pleased is what the Netflix show seems to be taking its hints from--especially vis a vis the general dread surrounding Fisky.

Which only Bendis seemed to understand and translate to the page.

Even FM tended to take Fisky into sad puppy territory--and then of course Brubaker made him full on lovelorn. I never grokked that. The idea of the Kingpin to me was that he's this very human dude who is very human (hey kids, tautology!). He's no Doctor Doom, he's barely Doctor Octopus. But somehow scarier than both. Somehow.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Now, if I could just get paid to write articles like that post above me, I'd be set for life :)
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 am

TheSecondLex wrote:to be fair, Ari, Mazz only worked with the Great One on Born Again. The brunt of his DD run on monthly was with himself and Janson (later, post-181 it became more Janson's thing I'd say at least in presentation). And of course the inimitable JRJR worked with him on Man Without Fear, which I'm pleased is what the Netflix show seems to be taking its hints from--especially vis a vis the general dread surrounding Fisky.

Which only Bendis seemed to understand and translate to the page.

Even FM tended to take Fisky into sad puppy territory--and then of course Brubaker made him full on lovelorn. I never grokked that. The idea of the Kingpin to me was that he's this very human dude who is very human (hey kids, tautology!). He's no Doctor Doom, he's barely Doctor Octopus. But somehow scarier than both. Somehow.


Yeah, I know Mazzuchelli was only on board during Born Again, but I'd say that became the most well regarded run in Daredevil for years, right? I haven't read all of the Janson's issues, but I did read Man Without Fear. I even wrote a comment about it here:
http://artbyarion.blogspot.com/2014/06/ ... iller.html

Of course, I didn't get paid for it. Life is so unfair for us, isn't it?
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:20 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:Now, if I could just get paid to write articles like that post above me, I'd be set for life :)


Getting paid to write about comics?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:








:cry:
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:12 pm

GLX wrote:
Getting paid to write about comics?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:








:cry:


I demand to get paid for my fabulous comic book reviews!
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 pm

If I was any bit more driven (like Hickman's assessment of Dr Doom, I freely cop that most of reality is beyond me, but I care an awful lot for certain things) I'd review every comic in my collection, from Pym's first appearance to last week's Avengers.


Wouldn't that be a thing.

And Ari, by Janson issues I really mean FM's DD run properly, starting with the Sensational Spider-Man issues with McKenzie and going through "Roulette" in 189, IIRC. That's the gem.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Ari, I've just read your Man Without Fear post.

Can we be Daredevil bros? :)
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:55 am

TheSecondLex wrote:If I was any bit more driven (like Hickman's assessment of Dr Doom, I freely cop that most of reality is beyond me, but I care an awful lot for certain things) I'd review every comic in my collection, from Pym's first appearance to last week's Avengers.


Wouldn't that be a thing.

And Ari, by Janson issues I really mean FM's DD run properly, starting with the Sensational Spider-Man issues with McKenzie and going through "Roulette" in 189, IIRC. That's the gem.


I say start right now. I'd love to read your reviews.
I must confess I haven't read any of those Sensational Spider-Man issues.

TheSecondLex wrote:Ari, I've just read your Man Without Fear post.

Can we be Daredevil bros? :)


Of course. We shall be known as the brotherhood of the daring blind !
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:30 pm

Ari, the McKenzie written Spidey issues were passable. They're collected as mostl intro material in the FM DD paperback trades.

I think it was in one of them where Matt looks out the window and sees Peter and MJ and thinks to himself, if only I could be as happy as them.

:shock: :D
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:34 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:Ari, the McKenzie written Spidey issues were passable. They're collected as mostl intro material in the FM DD paperback trades.

I think it was in one of them where Matt looks out the window and sees Peter and MJ and thinks to himself, if only I could be as happy as them.

:shock: :D


Looks out the window? Or listens to their voices?
Anyway, I must get my hands on those tpbs.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:37 pm

looks out the window, Ari. It's not even really noted if he knew who it was (knowing Peter damn well by this point, IIRC). And I was wrong. They were the PPSSM issues by McKenzie and FM. This would've been early 80 or 81 I think.
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:17 pm

aaaaand i've killed it again :-(
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:22 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:aaaaand i've killed it again :-(


Have you checked out the Daredevil sales on Comixology?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Don' worry, no one has killed anyone or anything here.

I had no idea there was a Daredevil sell (although with the new series it makes sense).
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:25 pm

im not on comixology, ari, but i see a 99c daredevil sale on the marvel app. Thing is I own all those comics in like two forms at least already lol.


and then there's my multi-form obession with the stan and jack fantastic four...

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Mac E Tero and 36 guests

cron