Advertisement

Questions of Opinion on Historic Figures in Comics

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Questions of Opinion on Historic Figures in Comics

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm

In last week's issue of Fantastic Four #5 something was revealed about the Julius Caesar of the Marvel Universe.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
It was revealed that he was actually killed early in his career. It turns out that a time traveler from Marvel's present possessed and reanimated his body so that Caesar could do all the historic things he was supposed to do in order that a paradox wasn't created.

This got me thinking about other historic figures that that have appeared in various comics stories. Some of course have been good, but others, not so much.

My questions to you my fellow Outhousers are simple. What stories featuring real historic figures in comics have you liked and what haven't you liked? Which ones have been good and which ones bad? Are there any favourites? Do you think using real life historic figures in comics stories is even a good idea?
Last edited by Stephen Day on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1264 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: A Question of Opinion on Historic Figures in Comics

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I actually just finished the first volume of the Manhattan Projects last night. The series stars a lot of historical figures although Hickman has obviously taken several liberties with fact and fiction but the book is quite good and I highly recommend it.
ImageImageImage

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 346 posts

Re: Questions of Opinion on Historic Figures in Comics

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Stephen Day wrote:In last week's issue of Fantastic Four #5 something was revealed about the Julius Caesar of the Marvel Universe.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
It was revealed that he was actually killed early in his career. It turns out that a time traveler from Marvel's present possessed and reanimated his body so that Caesar could do all the historic things he was supposed to do in order that a paradox wasn't created.

This got me thinking about other historic figures that that have appeared in various comics stories. Some of course have been good, but others, not so much.

My questions to you my fellow Outhousers are simple. What stories featuring real historic figures in comics have you liked and what haven't you liked? Which ones have been good and which ones bad? Are there any favourites? Do you think using real life historic figures in comics stories is even a good idea?

If I remember right, wasn't Ben Grimm Blackbeard?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Lord Simian wrote:

If I remember right, wasn't Ben Grimm Blackbeard?

How did that happen?

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 642 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:35 pm

i have no problem with historical figures being in comics, and things being changed. It is a fictional world, its understandable that events and people were different than how they actually happened in the real world.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
How did that happen?

Been years since I read it, but as I vaguely recall, the Four went back to "pirate days", and wore disguises. Because pirates don't wear spandex, I guess. They had a point.

Anyways, Benjy's costume included a pirate coat and a fake bushy beard. Because who'd notice the rocky Orange skin, when he has a BEARD?!

He ended up kicking some ass, the crew of the ship cheered for "Black Beard", and that led to a patented Reed Richards speech, about how Ben must have been the historical Blackbeard.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Been years since I read it, but as I vaguely recall, the Four went back to "pirate days", and wore disguises. Because pirates don't wear spandex, I guess. They had a point.

Anyways, Benjy's costume included a pirate coat and a fake bushy beard. Because who'd notice the rocky Orange skin, when he has a BEARD?!

He ended up kicking some ass, the crew of the ship cheered for "Black Beard", and that led to a patented Reed Richards speech, about how Ben must have been the historical Blackbeard.

:lol:

That's awesome.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
:lol:

That's awesome.

Holy cow, it was further back than I thought. It was the first Doctor Doom.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 855 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Superman met President Kennedy... and it was released a few months after his assassination.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1264 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:54 pm

Deadpool recently met all of the deceased Presidents of the United States and became buddies with the ghost of Benjamin Franklin! :deadpool
ImageImageImage

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 152 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Depends. Using people that are far enough in the past it doesn't interfere with the timeline, sure why not. Using people that exist in the time frame of the comic, it gets tricky. Some day they will have to remove Captain America from WWII and thus never punched Hitler in the face. Eventually the stuff with Obama now will be as relevant as Ronald Reagan was in comics.

Time travelers, aliens, magic, endless opportunities.

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:38 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:Depends. Using people that are far enough in the past it doesn't interfere with the timeline, sure why not. Using people that exist in the time frame of the comic, it gets tricky. Some day they will have to remove Captain America from WWII and thus never punched Hitler in the face. Eventually the stuff with Obama now will be as relevant as Ronald Reagan was in comics.

Time travelers, aliens, magic, endless opportunities.

I don't see why they will ever have to remove Cap from WWII. They just increase the gap between when he fell in the ice and when he was thawed out.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
I don't see why they will ever have to remove Cap from WWII. They just increase the gap between when he fell in the ice and when he was thawed out.

Agreed, it worked as a story point in Avengers #4 in the 60s and it worked as a story point for the Avengers film this century. There's no reason to think it wouldn't work in any time period.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 152 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 pm

I am saying some day. Won't be soon, but it will happen. It's not just Cap, they'd have to divorce every character he's ever interacted with. Bucky, Black Widow, Dum Dum, Red Skull, Peggy, well those are the only ones I know.

Over the years comic characters have interacted with people that existed in real life. It only works if isn't a plot point. Until a major reboot then it doesn't matter. Prime punch FTW.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 am

Lord Simian wrote:
Holy cow, it was further back than I thought. It was the first Doctor Doom.

Yep. FF #5.

Honestly, a lot of times, the cheesier the story involving a historical figure, the more fondly I remember it. Reagan in DC's Legends, or when he got turned into a snake in Gru's Cap. Spidey fighting Cotton Mather in Marvel Team-Up in the 70s. The Dead Presidents in Deadpool. Clea knocking boots with Ben Franklin in Dr. Strange. Etc.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum