Advertisement

So I'm reading Watchmen for the 5th or 6th time

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

AaronW
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 25025
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm


Postby AaronW » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:41 pm

The Watchmen and V for Vendetta are my two favorite comic works. While V for Vendetta was horrid, I have my hopes up for Watchmen since the Director said he was carrying it around using it as a storyboard for the movie. I know shit will be cut, but not a butchering to make it "relevent" as the Wachowski siblings tried to do with the trainwreck that was V.

Advertisement

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21438
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 173 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:51 pm

CountD wrote:yeahhhhh...Watchmen is good, but it's NO WE3


insert obligatory "We3 was 1000 times better the first time i read it, when it was called The Incredible Journey" comment.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Allen
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 6894
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:46 am
Location: Allen, TX
Title: Two-Time Avatar Hall of Famer


Postby Allen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm

chap22 wrote:what she said. meh.

V for Vendetta however...that's the shit.


I have to agree with both Carrie and Chappie (Oh God. Someone shoot me now!).

I thought it is very, very overrated. It's good, but nothing even remotely resembling a masterpiece. And I thought V was better than Watchmen.

chap22
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 21438
Likes: 32 posts
Liked in: 173 posts
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:08 pm
Location: Missi-by God-ssippi, a.k.a. Chapveria
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon


Postby chap22 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Allen wrote:I have to agree with both Carrie and Chappie (Oh God. Someone shoot me now!).

I thought it is very, very overrated. It's good, but nothing even remotely resembling a masterpiece. And I thought V was better than Watchmen.


well, let me clarify my position...technically speaking, it is indeed a masterpiece of comic storytelling, and probably is the single most finely-crafted superhero story ever written.

that said, reading it, to me personally, is like reading a clinical text on how to watch paint dry. i can not get any emotional investment one way or the other with Watchmen, with any of its chracters, with any of its themes, with any of its action. it bores me. i can recognize the craft inherent in Watchmen, but just don't care about the story. it's sort of a form/function type thing for me.
Image
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Allen
User avatar
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 6894
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:46 am
Location: Allen, TX
Title: Two-Time Avatar Hall of Famer


Postby Allen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:10 pm

chap22 wrote:
that said, reading it, to me personally, is like reading a clinical text on how to watch paint dry. i can not get any emotional investment one way or the other with Watchmen, with any of its chracters, with any of its themes, with any of its action. it bores me. i can recognize the craft inherent in Watchmen, but just don't care about the story. it's sort of a form/function type thing for me.


But, that, to me, is what I dislike about it. It was trying too hard to be great. A truly great, classic work has to be entertaining and artful at the same time. I need to be caught up in what is happening. If I am actively dissecting a literary work the first time I pick it up, then it hasn't done its job, IMO. That was what Watchmen did to me.

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41355
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Postby Chris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:12 pm

I love this book. It's one of the rare occassions where I genuinely can't understand how anyone would not be able to like it.. it's perfect in every way. Grant Morrison really out-did himself with this one.
Image

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40029
Likes: 191 posts
Liked in: 334 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Postby Keb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Are all the people saying Grant Morrison wrote Watchmen doing it as a joke?

It's probably one of the finest pieces of literature on my shelf. And I have lots of fine literature on my shelf. ;)

Then again, I like everything Alan Moore writes, or has a hand in, except for Terra Obscura, because that shit sucked.
SHABBA!

kingofcities
User avatar
dINGO
 
Posts: 3195
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 am


Postby kingofcities » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Carrie wrote:I wouldn't know. I didn't read it. I don't like Moore's writing as a rule.


Neither do I for the most part. There are some notable exceptions but on the whole I think he's well overrated.
Image

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Keb wrote:Are all the people saying Grant Morrison wrote Watchmen doing it as a joke?



No.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40029
Likes: 191 posts
Liked in: 334 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Postby Keb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Black_Kryptonian wrote:No.
Explain?
SHABBA!

superfictious
User avatar
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa
 
Posts: 10399
Likes: 86 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:38 pm
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com


Postby superfictious » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm

Keb wrote:Explain?


Because Morrison is so awesome and in tune with the universe's heaving, milky bosom that he's mastered the art of retroactive authorship.









Yeah, it's an old Rama joke that'll probably live forever.

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40029
Likes: 191 posts
Liked in: 334 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Postby Keb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:04 pm

Yeah see I didn't post there for like two years so I'm a little out of the loop on this one.
SHABBA!

Woody
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2424
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Title: Woodrow if you're nasty


Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:05 pm

chap22 wrote:well, let me clarify my position...technically speaking, it is indeed a masterpiece of comic storytelling, and probably is the single most finely-crafted superhero story ever written.

that said, reading it, to me personally, is like reading a clinical text on how to watch paint dry. i can not get any emotional investment one way or the other with Watchmen, with any of its chracters, with any of its themes, with any of its action. it bores me. i can recognize the craft inherent in Watchmen, but just don't care about the story. it's sort of a form/function type thing for me.
Once again- that's the way I felt about it until this most recent reading

Woody
User avatar
Motherfucker from Hell
 
Posts: 2424
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:04 pm
Title: Woodrow if you're nasty


Postby Woody » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah see I didn't post there for like two years so I'm a little out of the loop on this one.
It's a joke that ground into the dirt over there and people are still trying to pass it off as funny.

It was funny the first time 2 years ago guys- now, not so much

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 40029
Likes: 191 posts
Liked in: 334 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Online


Postby Keb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Woody wrote:Once again- that's the way I felt about it until this most recent reading
:-D

The first time I read it I was like "okay so what", the second time, I actually went through it, took my time, read all the supplimentary material, enjoyed the construction and all that shit, well I loved it. The third time I actually bought it (until then I was reading the library's copy) and every time I read it now it still gets better.

Around the fifth time, I realized John Osterman walks around without any pants.
SHABBA!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 37 guests

Advertisement