Wednesday, November 14, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Be glad we're not indoors."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Reliving The 1980s

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 pm

achilles wrote:
It's making a comeback, along with a lot of old tech. You can buy not only the turntables to convert to mp3, but also just plain old turntables, and vinyl stores are making a comeback, and it's being sold at Barnes and Nobles as well. You can also get Polaroid cameras, old time early 80s late 70s computers with Basic, old Walkman style tape decks...

I am always amazed about older tech - in those days things were made to last. These days its all made in China and god does the lack of quality show. There is also a huge market for older tech - video games, cameras (some are incredibly valuable) and like you said, vinyl is indeed making a comeback. When I visit stores that carry secondhand items the vinyl is sometimes just a couple of dollars (between two dollars to five dollars) while other stores may charge up to thirty dollars or more for a vinyl album. I do think the artwork looks better on vinyl - everything on CD is so small. A few weeks ago I even saw a stereo system from the Eighties selling for $30 or thereabouts, it still works and is in terrific condition. I was tempted to purchase it but then I thought What would I do with it'? I seldom listen to the radio and only have a couple of tapes so I just walked away but damn it was nice to see it on the shelf looking pretty much as it must have when first released.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Sing along, you know you want to

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 am

The first time I heard this song was at a dance and people just went nuts. I also remember some of the adults getting a tad frisky (maybe it was the alcohol ---?)

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:38 am

zryson wrote:The first time I heard this song was at a dance and people just went nuts. I also remember some of the adults getting a tad frisky (maybe it was the alcohol ---?)

Sweet, from one of the first movies a young RDJ was in! And a funny Bill Paxton!

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:29 pm

zryson wrote:
I am always amazed about older tech - in those days things were made to last. These days its all made in China and god does the lack of quality show. There is also a huge market for older tech - video games, cameras (some are incredibly valuable) and like you said, vinyl is indeed making a comeback. When I visit stores that carry secondhand items the vinyl is sometimes just a couple of dollars (between two dollars to five dollars) while other stores may charge up to thirty dollars or more for a vinyl album. I do think the artwork looks better on vinyl - everything on CD is so small. A few weeks ago I even saw a stereo system from the Eighties selling for $30 or thereabouts, it still works and is in terrific condition. I was tempted to purchase it but then I thought What would I do with it'? I seldom listen to the radio and only have a couple of tapes so I just walked away but damn it was nice to see it on the shelf looking pretty much as it must have when first released.

I love vintage tech, sadly, I and my family were dumb enough to let a lot of what we had go. Let's see, an old 70s Altair computer, and old Commodore 64, which really stings, some of the original Apple 2s, very old IBM PCs, an old wooden sled, and my old manual typewriter that my folks got for me when I was a kid; it was an antique 20s thing, worked beautifully. Thankfully, I still have the old wooden block set they got me as a toy when I was a kid, it's from that era, but most of my other toys are gone, train sets, erector sets, Legos back when they were simple, and some old die-cast toys from two old Brit series from the 70s, before my time, UFO and Space: 1999, (the first was filmed as Star Wars was filmed in the soundstage next door, and the second after).

Those old toys hurt; they just really don't make them like that any more. I'm actually thinking of trying to get a small train set to rebuild an old train landscape my dad helped me make when I was a kid, with plaster mountains I got to make and paint and all.

You're right, today's stuff doesn't have the lasting quality and appeal that the old electro-mechanical stuff from the 70s and 80s and even older did.

A couple of things I still do have are my first stereo system, (sort of, I never had a real one), a boom mox thing from the 80s my folks got me for my birthday; it's been powered on since then and had never failed. Also one of the last Sony Walkman tape players made. That I don't use as I'm afraid to break it.

One thing I'd like to do is restore my house, which was my parent's old one I inherited, the house I grew up in. It was a mid century ranch house, nothing special, in fact poorly made, one of those things that were hurriedly slapped together after the war for returning servicemen. My family bought it from the original owners, though, and it had some nice touches we remodeled out of existence during the mid 80s, like a built in intercom system, (must have seemed out of the Jetsons or those great retro-future "house of the future" things from the 50s when they built it), and sliding pocket doors. I'd like to put those back in. And maybe fix some of the defects they built into it...(so not everything old was well-made).

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:49 pm

achilles wrote:
I love vintage tech, sadly, I and my family were dumb enough to let a lot of what we had go. Let's see, an old 70s Altair computer, and old Commodore 64, which really stings, some of the original Apple 2s, very old IBM PCs, an old wooden sled, and my old manual typewriter that my folks got for me when I was a kid; it was an antique 20s thing, worked beautifully. Thankfully, I still have the old wooden block set they got me as a toy when I was a kid, it's from that era, but most of my other toys are gone, train sets, erector sets, Legos back when they were simple, and some old die-cast toys from two old Brit series from the 70s, before my time, UFO and Space: 1999, (the first was filmed as Star Wars was filmed in the soundstage next door, and the second after).

Those old toys hurt; they just really don't make them like that any more. I'm actually thinking of trying to get a small train set to rebuild an old train landscape my dad helped me make when I was a kid, with plaster mountains I got to make and paint and all.

You're right, today's stuff doesn't have the lasting quality and appeal that the old electro-mechanical stuff from the 70s and 80s and even older did.

A couple of things I still do have are my first stereo system, (sort of, I never had a real one), a boom mox thing from the 80s my folks got me for my birthday; it's been powered on since then and had never failed. Also one of the last Sony Walkman tape players made. That I don't use as I'm afraid to break it.

One thing I'd like to do is restore my house, which was my parent's old one I inherited, the house I grew up in. It was a mid century ranch house, nothing special, in fact poorly made, one of those things that were hurriedly slapped together after the war for returning servicemen. My family bought it from the original owners, though, and it had some nice touches we remodeled out of existence during the mid 80s, like a built in intercom system, (must have seemed out of the Jetsons or those great retro-future "house of the future" things from the 50s when they built it), and sliding pocket doors. I'd like to put those back in. And maybe fix some of the defects they built into it...(so not everything old was well-made).

I was at a store yesterday that has old items - vinyl, dolls, comic books/books etc. The vinyl was around $4 each - not sure of the condition of the records inside but the covers looked to be in very good condition. The books depending on the decade in which they were made have fared somewhat different. Some of the older ones from the 40s and 50s have well worn covers, foxing and yellowing pages. While others from the 60s and 70s are in much better condition. Same with some of the older dolls - some might be missing chunks of hair or their dresses are soiled. Others look like they were barely played with. Most of the older tech I had at one time is long gone unfortunately because like you wrote, they definitely don't make things like that anymore which is a shame.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:58 pm

Miss hearing Agnetha and Frida singing together (this was unused for their last album The Visitors) but I understand why they went with Frida singing the song by herself.

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:29 pm

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Time for some music so crank up the nobs on your stereo

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 am

Lets dance...

Glaeken

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Glaeken » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:27 am

Sinatra showing he still had it. And so many cameos

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:27 pm

The Eighties is one of the great eras for comic books. So many good things happened - Perez on Wonder Woman, DC bidding farewell to the old Superman before the new version began with John Byrne, Crisis On Infinite Earths (in which so many died but thank God superheroes like Supergirl, who despite inconsistent writing and artwork in her own series finally got the respect she long deserved). DC also caused a lot of controversy because of The Killing Joke one of the greatest Batman/Joker stories in history and also with the dial to save Robin/kill Robin in Death Of The Family in which Robin really did die (and despite staff at DC saying yes, he's really dead and wont be coming back, he did because lets face it why would DC kill a successful brand?). The reason for this memory trip, I was at a store earlier buying some Eighties comics - most were cheap but damn, some of them were fucking pricey (sorry to the manager but they were). While I was there a man came in to talk to the manager about his comic collection that he's trying to sell and I thought this will be cool, I wonder what he has but he's got a 90s comic collection. He went on (and on) about how valuable his comic books are and that he has that sought-after Death Of Superman issue. Yeah you and a few million other people!

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

Cher's ABBA album is getting great reviews so here is the Queen herself with One of Us

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 am

Cher also covered ABBA's The Winner Takes It All

zryson

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby zryson » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

There were many incredible things in the Eighties and after decades of rusting away on the ocean floor, Titanic was located. Some historians had thought based on what some of the surviving crew had said in their testimony, that yes, the ship would be intact but it was actually in two main pieces (bow and stern) with several debris fields. Some also thought Titanic would be in a near-pristine condition due to the depth but again Titanic was full of surprises.

Then in the Nineties, Titanic fever would hit a new high with James Cameron's Titanic but its a movie full of errors - not the least how bright the ship actually is in the movie - a more accurate version of what the lighting was like on board is below since Cameron himself realized that he had to make the ship brighter so people watching the movie could actually see what was happening.

leave a comment with facebook