Saturday, November 17, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Remember when...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:52 pm

I remember when potato chips came in waxed paper bags.
Pop came in glass bottle and cans you could break rocks with.
Waxed paper straws.
Candy bars and burgers being larger then they are now. Needed to hands as a teen to eat a burger.
I can remember when air conditioning was a luxury.

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

I'm slipping into dangerous old man territory here, involving schools:

... mimeographed hand-outs from the teacher everyone would smell as soon as they got them
... no soda/pop machines in schools. The cafeteria had milk, and milk only.
... the playground equipment was made of steel bars and sheet metal, set in concrete or blacktop. The slide is always oriented due south to collect maximum sunshine and scorch your ass as you went down.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Coleco Vision.
Commadore 64

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:54 pm

Yes (as in I was unaware of it) no no no no no.

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

TerriG wrote:I know right?

My dad didn't really let us have consoles. He preferred PC gaming. That being said, I miss the old school PC games too!

I didn't see a PC until I got to junior high and we had some Apples in the library.

The Old Doctor

Postby The Old Doctor » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Timbales wrote:I'm slipping into dangerous old man territory here, involving schools:

... mimeographed hand-outs from the teacher everyone would smell as soon as they got them
... the playground equipment was made of steel bars and sheet metal, set in concrete or blacktop. The slide is always oriented due south to collect maximum sunshine and scorch your ass as you went down.

:oops:

:oops:

:oops: That and the odd wood stuff.

I'll top you too... the old style city wadding pools for kids. Those shallow ankle deep types for the parents, but for us kids they got almost thigh high.

TerriG

Twenty-Something

Postby TerriG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Timbales wrote:
I didn't see a PC until I got to junior high and we had some Apples in the library.

Oregon Trail?

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Timbales wrote:I'm slipping into dangerous old man territory here, involving schools:

I still remember seeing a kid named Roger get his head squashed open on one of the least-advisable examples of playground equipment I've ever seen--I big metal pole with like a giant solid steel upside-down basket rotating wildly on the top of it.

TerriG

Twenty-Something

Postby TerriG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I still remember seeing a kid named Roger get his head squashed open on one of the least-advisable examples of playground equipment I've ever seen--I big metal pole with like a giant solid steel upside-down basket rotating wildly on the top of it.

Ouch :(

I don't remember seeing anything like that, but I do remember the stories we were told to keep us off the adult swings about how a girl in junior high school smashed her head open and died while on one.

Miracloman

Great Scott!!!

Postby Miracloman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Timbales wrote:... there was no internet
... the only channels were 3, 5, 9 and PBS
... comics were less than a dollar
... summer hit and I'd leave the house after breakfast and not be home until dinner, my mom not knowing where I was or what I was doing and it was totally fine
... there were no cell phones
... house phones were corded and had a rotary dial

Remember?
Most say I am still living there. :P

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 pm

TerriG wrote:Oregon Trail?

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

We were talking to the kids about this same thing during vacation. They said we must have lived in the middle ages.

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

I can't make fun of kids with those rubber band shape bracelets, because we had these:

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:25 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

we had one at my last elementary school that was built to resemble the framework of a rocket. I wear that thing was 20 feet tall, set in blacktop all around it.

leave a comment with facebook