Friday, November 16, 2018 • Afternoon Edition • "Ban Herald ASAP!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Remember when...

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Schlemmer wrote:I can't make fun of kids with those rubber band shape bracelets, because we had these:

yup, and jelly bracelets that girls would wear dozens of at once

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Tether ball.

They don't let kids play anymore because it was an excuse to hit people in the face with a ball on a rope. This is why kids today are pussies.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Timbales wrote:
we had one at my last elementary school that was built to resemble the framework of a rocket. I wear that thing was 20 feet tall, set in blacktop all around it.

Probably very similar, maybe it was supposed to be a rocket.

Second time I saw a split-open head as a kid, the first time was in pre-school when a kid ran full speed into the oak bannister of a solid old piano while being chased by another kid. It looked like someone had stepped on a flesh-colored orange.

Timbales

Fisty McDigger

Postby Timbales » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Tether ball.

They don't let kids play anymore because it was an excuse to hit people in the face with a ball on a rope. This is why kids today are pussies.

I loved tether ball and lawn darts.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

My school outlawed baseball during recess while I was going there because a kid got hit in the head while playing catcher with no pads or helmet or anything. That was a sad day.

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:34 pm

You should rename this to the 40 something thread...

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Timbales wrote:
I loved tether ball and lawn darts.

Yes!

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I played football @ recess in 5th grade, broke my arm, AND DIDN'T SUE THE SCHOOL.

Imagine that.

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm

GOSD wrote:You should rename this to the 40 something thread...

Ha! Awesome :lol:

Schlemmer

Rain Partier

Postby Schlemmer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

Remember when MTV showed music videos?

outsider

Outhouse Drafter

Postby outsider » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Or mid-30something, too!

Our babysitter (18 y.o.) makes me feel old all the time. She was saying how her boyfriend liked "old" country music... like Tobey Keith. :x She had no idea who Alabama, Dolly Parton or Kenny Rogers were.

rdrsfn82

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm only 28.

I'm an honorary old person.

TerriG

Twenty-Something

Postby TerriG » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:38 pm

But I'm 28 and remember some of this stuff too. :smt102

LobsterJ

phrase IV

Postby LobsterJ » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Did anyone ever see a kid do an "around the world" on the swings or was this just an urban legend?

Also, remember being thrilled to go to comic shops in new towns and cities because you couldn't just order anything from Amazon, Previews, or ebay? I don't even bother to stop at new comic shops now.

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:43 pm

Timbales wrote:I'm slipping into dangerous old man territory here, involving schools:

... mimeographed hand-outs from the teacher everyone would smell as soon as they got them
... no soda/pop machines in schools. The cafeteria had milk, and milk only.
... the playground equipment was made of steel bars and sheet metal, set in concrete or blacktop. The slide is always oriented due south to collect maximum sunshine and scorch your ass as you went down.

and don't forget Overheads with the clear plastic maps that they would display on the screens. Those always fascinated me.

leave a comment with facebook