Advertisement

My Report Card

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:17 am

Forbush Man wrote:I'd like to put all the congrats onto DeadFett's shoulders, thank you Tony. :cry:

Sorry, had to pick someone. :P

You're welcome...I think... :?

Advertisement

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:18 am

Frost wrote:Ptf that's nothing compared to my Spanish teacher. It didn't matter what you got on the finals to her. It was if you learned ie "showed up in every day of class" and "tried hard" you passed.

I can beat that. For Model United Nations, if you existed, you got an A.
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:18 am

DeadFett wrote:You're welcome...I think... :?

8)
starlord wrote::shock: That's the first time paper has ever given me an erection!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:21 am

Forbush Man wrote:Question for the curve people.

What if the majority of kids did poorly because the teacher didn't teach well at all? I think that this is the real statement that is being made here, there is a general consensus among her students that she is a terrible teacher, and while indeed she is indeed a scapegoat, she is a bad teacher!

It's math. Read the book and learn how to do it. The answers are in the back of the book and it explains how to do the problems. If she isn't a good teacher, you should still be able to learn it on your own well enough to pass the test and get good grades. Besides you got a B, so you obviously did alright.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:22 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:It's math. Read the book and learn how to do it. The answers are in the back of the book and it explains how to do the problems. If she isn't a good teacher, you should still be able to learn it on your own well enough to pass the test and get good grades. Besides you got a B, so you obviously did alright.

Well I want better. :evil:

But that's the point of a teacher, to teach. A book can only do so much.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 215 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:24 am

Forbush Man wrote:Question for the curve people.

What if the majority of kids did poorly because the teacher didn't teach well at all? I think that this is the real statement that is being made here, there is a general consensus among her students that she is a terrible teacher, and while indeed she is indeed a scapegoat, she is a bad teacher!

Yeah that's true.

Course it you could always have the nightmare teacher who has no curve and what she asks is just insanity.

Like say a fifty page short story collection. Sure you could write about two of the stories (at 20 pages total) already during the course of the three month semester but that still leaves 30 unwritten pages to write in a month.

Plus seven additional pages of coming up with the idea of and why it, a table of contents with the stories written and ideas for future stories, three pages what you learned from the other people in class, and one page summary of what those future stories would have held. All of which is the final/final paper and your entire grade no matter how much you poured into quizes, previous papers, and tests mean absolute diddly to the 70% of your grade it garners.

So if you blow the project you blow the class.

God just thinking of that little portion of my final semester in college still make's me glad I'm done with it and have my damn degree.
Last edited by Zechs on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:26 am

And also, rdrsfn82, aren't you becoming/are a teacher?

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:28 am

Forbush Man wrote:Well I want better. :evil:

But that's the point of a teacher, to teach. A book can only do so much.

When I was in school my senior year I took an AP English class where we were supposed to be prepared for the test to get college credit. My teacher didn't do anything or grade us on anything but a couple presentations. Nothing was taught in this class and everyone got an A or B just for showing up. I don't think I said more than five words outside of my presentations in that class. Despite all of this I was one of 3 or 4 people (I can't remember because it's been a while) to pass the test. I passed it because I put forth the effort to read a bunch of books and things on my own. If you put it on yourself to learn you'll do fine. Besides no one cares if you get a couple B's, even if you want to go to a really nice school. Just do well on your SAT and ACT and you'll be fine.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:29 am

Forbush Man wrote:And also, rdrsfn82, aren't you becoming/are a teacher?

Once my kid starts school next fall I plan on going back to school to become a teacher, but that doesn't mean I never had bad teachers.

By the way that's amazing that you remember that. I haven't mentioned that on here more than like two or three times, well not on here but on the Rama. You have a great memory.
Last edited by rdrsfn82 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:30 am

Frost wrote:Yeah that's true.

Course it you could always have the nightmare teacher who has no curve and what she asks is just insanity.

Like say a fifty page short story collection. Sure you could write about two of the stories (at 20 pages total) already during the course of the three month semester but that still leaves 30 unwritten pages to write in a month.

Plus seven additional pages of coming up with the idea of and why it, a table of contents with the stories written and ideas for future stories, three pages what you learned from the other people in class, and one page summary of what those future stories would have held. All of which is the final/final paper and your entire grade no matter how much you poured into quizes, previous papers, and tests mean absolute diddly to the 70% of your grade it garners.

So if you blow the project you blow the class.

God just thinking of that little portion of my final semester in college still make's me glad I'm done with it and have my damn degree.

That sounds really really difficult. I don't think I could write 50 pages of stories.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:30 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:When I was in school my senior year I took an AP English class where we were supposed to be prepared for the test to get college credit. My teacher didn't do anything or grade us on anything but a couple presentations. Nothing was taught in this class and everyone got an A or B just for showing up. I don't think I said more than five words outside of my presentations in that class. Despite all of this I was one of 3 or 4 people (I can't remember because it's been a while) to pass the test. I passed it because I put forth the effort to read a bunch of books and things on my own. If you put it on yourself to learn you'll do fine. Besides no one cares if you get a couple B's, even if you want to go to a really nice school. Just do well on your SAT and ACT and you'll be fine.

I do understand where you are coming from. I think part of my desire to really get this grade is because this could be the first time since 5th grade that I got straight As.

And I feel that I have put in the effort, I have truly tried my best. And even after the class, I have the ambition to still go after what I know could be mine.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:37 am

Forbush Man wrote:I do understand where you are coming from. I think part of my desire to really get this grade is because this could be the first time since 5th grade that I got straight As.

And I feel that I have put in the effort, I have truly tried my best. And even after the class, I have the ambition to still go after what I know could be mine.

I'm sure you put forth a lot of effort and it seems like a big deal now, but in ten years you'll look back on it and wonder why you worried so much. I wouldn't let it worry me too much if I was you. You're obviously a very good student and a smart kid, you'll do fine the rest of the way.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:I'm sure you put forth a lot of effort and it seems like a big deal now, but in ten years you'll look back on it and wonder why you worried so much. I wouldn't let it worry me too much if I was you. You're obviously a very good student and a smart kid, you'll do fine the rest of the way.

Thanks I appreciate it.

When I was 3 points away from an A (which I actually should've gotten) in a class net year, one of my teachers told me something that really helped.

"Are you going to care in 10 minutes?" Yes "In ten days?" Yes "In ten years?" No

Or some variation. But it helps.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:45 am

Forbush Man wrote:Thanks I appreciate it.

When I was 3 points away from an A (which I actually should've gotten) in a class net year, one of my teachers told me something that really helped.

"Are you going to care in 10 minutes?" Yes "In ten days?" Yes "In ten years?" No

Or some variation. But it helps.

I think a lot of students get caught up in that, both in college and in high school. One of my friends, who is actually my wife's best friend but who I knew first, was so stressed all the time she'd make herself ill. Now that she's done with school and doing what she wants she realizes how unhealthy it was to stress so much about things that were small in the big scheme of things. She'd spend hours and hours working on every paper and I'd spend a single afternoon and we'd get the same grade, but she'd be stressed and sleepless and I'd be mellow. It drove her crazy, but I just tried to tell her to relax and enjoy life. I'd say the same thing to you. There's a lot of fun to be had if you don't let the little things bother you.

Daniel
Great Scott!!!

Postby Daniel » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:48 am

I really do consider myself one of those people that don't work themselves too much over school. I put in effort, I take school seriously, but I am fine with a B. My minimum goal is to make honor roll. My parents don't push me to extremes like many kids around here and I'm really happy for that, they just want me to put in effort.

And just for the sake of saying it, I do go to a public school.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum