Advertisement

Reset the DC Counter...again.

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

OldCurmudgeon
luchadore

Liked in: 0 post

Reset the DC Counter...again.

Postby OldCurmudgeon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:34 pm

O.k., I had time on my hands this morning before opening the shop. In this morning's Diamond Daily, they had a story titled: "DC Releases Villains Month 3-D Motion Cover Allocation FAQ." So I thought I'd let you guys in on it. (Emphasis and editorial added):

1. What portion of my orders for the Villains Month 3-D Motion Covers will I receive on each title?
The allocations are based on an average of your orders of each Villains Month titles’ base title over the past few months.
Allocations will range from approximately 50% fill to nearly 100% fill on different titles.

2. When will I know my allocated numbers?
The allocation lists for DC’s Villains Month 3-D Motion Cover issues are available now at Diamond.
The list will show your current Diamond Order and your Allocation Order

3. Okay. I have the allocation list. I want to cut my orders on the Villains Month 3-D Motion Cover issues.
If you wish to decrease your orders on any of the 3-D motion cover issues, please contact your Diamond Customer Service Representative or DC Sales Representative. All decreases must be received by Friday, August 16.

4. Why didn’t DC print at least as many copies of each of the 3-D motion cover issues as they do on the regular monthly series?
There was a physical limit to how many copies we could print due to availability of the special cover stock.

I don't recall reading this anywhere when DC and Dan Didio announced the allocations, do you?

5. Will the 2-D Standard Edition issues be made returnable?
Yes, they will be returnable. They will also appear on FOC, you can adjust your orders as you see fit.

6. Why aren’t the second printings of the 3-D motion covers being offered individually?
We’re offering the reprint full sets to assist retailers who presold full sets. These are not intended to replace the September Villains Month 3-D motion cover issues. You are welcome to keep the complete sets whole or break them up to sell the issues individually.

I don't believe I read this anywhere but this FAQ either. They offered it as a way to make more cash.

7. Why do we have to wait until December to get the Complete Sets? Can I return the covers I don’t want?
These items all have very long lead times. Even with an FOC date of August 12, the soonest the Complete Sets can be printed and shipped to stores is December 11. The complete sets are non-returnable. We expect to be able to fill all orders for the complete set.

Evidently the special cover stock will be available by then...

8. Why is this happening?
The 3-D motion covers required a much longer production time than normal covers. We had to set print runs on these issues very early. As more retailers saw sample copies, orders continued to build beyond the print runs we had set. Orders greatly exceeded DCE’s expectations.

So which is it; cover stock availability or lead time?

9. Why can’t I FOC the last three weeks of the 3-D motion cover issues?
We considered letting these issues go through on FOC, but due to the allocations there was no way you would receive your full orders on these titles. It seemed unfair to have retailers go to the trouble of going through the process where it would not impact the outcome. We would rather have you focus on planning your strategy for the allocations, your orders on the 2-D Standard Editions and on the Complete Set.

10. Are there copies of the 3-D motion cover issues in reserve to cover damages?
Yes, but a substantially smaller percentage than usual. Our goal will be to get as many copies out to you as possible. Where no replacement copies remain, you will receive a credit.

11. Will there be reorders available for the Standard Edition covers?
Yes, we anticipate having copies available for reorder.

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: Reset the DC Counter...again.

Postby bkthomson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for sharing, and BC did report to on the 'Paper Stock' limitations.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

pastajoe
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 383 posts

Postby pastajoe » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 pm

My LCS sent out this email:

First and foremost, I apologize for this long email, possible confusion and frustration. In almost 18 years in business, this whole situation is a first for us. Also, please understand this is totally out of our hands and is 100% a DC Comics mishap.

As many of you may have heard, DC Comics is holding it's yearly September event. This September, all of the DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 titles will be replaced by Villains books. What happens when the heroes of the DC Universe fall and there’s nobody left to stop the villains from taking over? Find out this fall during Villains Month, which will spotlight 52 of the DC Universe’s biggest rogues in their own one-shots.

These one shots will be the "main" title with a "sub" of a villain. An example will be Justice League 23.2 Lobo. In an effort to make sure everybody who wants them gets them, we will automatically pull these titles based on whether you get the main title.

The original plan was for DC to ship all of these titles with a 3D cover using a special technology that has never been used before. Unfortunately, using this special process meant doing things in reverse, printing the books BEFORE they actually got order numbers from retailers (usually they get order numbers from retailers and THEN set the print run). Well, the orders came in MUCH larger than expected and DC over-sold a month before the comics even ship! Because of this they are allocating ALL retailers. In other words, if a retailer ordered 100 copies of a book they may only get 50 copies of the 3D version. The allocation doesn't affect all titles. DC is making a "regular" cover that will ship the same day and still be considered a 1st printing. These will be priced at $2.99 as opposed to the $3.99 for the 3D cover.

Here are some links discussing this shortage and allocation:

http://www.comixzone.com/newsdetails.asp?id=31

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/09/ ... locations/

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/06/ ... llar-less/

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ers-3.html

What does this be for our beloved Comix Zone customers?

If you currenty subscribe to the main title:

· If the title is not listed below, you will have the 3D cover pulled by default.

· If the title is listed below, your subscription will be randomly filled with either the regular or 3D cover, based on availbility. We are expecting to be able to fill 80% with the 3D cover on the below listed titles but, in some cases for severely allocated titles, the fill rate will be much lower.

· You can opt out of getting the 3D covers and choose to receive the less expensive standard cover. Simply reply to this email by 8/28 and let us know.

· You can opt out of any of the one shots you would automatically be pulled, based on the "main" title. Simply reply to this email by 8/28 and let us know

If, as of this email, you do not currently subscribe to the main title:

· If the title is added to your list from this email on, assume it will be filled with the standard cover

· We are not accepting any more pre-orders for these until we physically get them in our hands. At that point current subs will be filled and the remaining 3D covers will be filled/sold on a first come, first served basis upon the release. We must hold off until we physically get them as often times we are accidentally shorted comics (happens EVERY week!) or some arrive damaged.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 79 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Like I have said repeatedly about this. Thank god I don't currently work in a shop. What a clusterfuck.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum