My LCS sent out this email:
First and foremost, I apologize for this long email, possible confusion and frustration. In almost 18 years in business, this whole situation is a first for us. Also, please understand this is totally out of our hands and is 100% a DC Comics mishap.
As many of you may have heard, DC Comics is holding it's yearly September event. This September, all of the DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 titles will be replaced by Villains books. What happens when the heroes of the DC Universe fall and there’s nobody left to stop the villains from taking over? Find out this fall during Villains Month, which will spotlight 52 of the DC Universe’s biggest rogues in their own one-shots.
These one shots will be the "main" title with a "sub" of a villain. An example will be Justice League 23.2 Lobo. In an effort to make sure everybody who wants them gets them, we will automatically pull these titles based on whether you get the main title.
The original plan was for DC to ship all of these titles with a 3D cover using a special technology that has never been used before. Unfortunately, using this special process meant doing things in reverse, printing the books BEFORE they actually got order numbers from retailers (usually they get order numbers from retailers and THEN set the print run). Well, the orders came in MUCH larger than expected and DC over-sold a month before the comics even ship! Because of this they are allocating ALL retailers. In other words, if a retailer ordered 100 copies of a book they may only get 50 copies of the 3D version. The allocation doesn't affect all titles. DC is making a "regular" cover that will ship the same day and still be considered a 1st printing. These will be priced at $2.99 as opposed to the $3.99 for the 3D cover.
Here are some links discussing this shortage and allocation:http://www.comixzone.com/newsdetails.asp?id=31http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/09/ ... locations/http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/06/ ... llar-less/http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/ ... ers-3.html
What does this be for our beloved Comix Zone customers?
If you currenty subscribe to the main title:
· If the title is not listed below, you will have the 3D cover pulled by default.
· If the title is listed below, your subscription will be randomly filled with either the regular or 3D cover, based on availbility. We are expecting to be able to fill 80% with the 3D cover on the below listed titles but, in some cases for severely allocated titles, the fill rate will be much lower.
· You can opt out of getting the 3D covers and choose to receive the less expensive standard cover. Simply reply to this email by 8/28 and let us know.
· You can opt out of any of the one shots you would automatically be pulled, based on the "main" title. Simply reply to this email by 8/28 and let us know
If, as of this email, you do not currently subscribe to the main title:
· If the title is added to your list from this email on, assume it will be filled with the standard cover
· We are not accepting any more pre-orders for these until we physically get them in our hands. At that point current subs will be filled and the remaining 3D covers will be filled/sold on a first come, first served basis upon the release. We must hold off until we physically get them as often times we are accidentally shorted comics (happens EVERY week!) or some arrive damaged.