Advertisement

Review: Wolverine Snikt!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:36 am

Cover
One day Wolverine is minding his own business when suddenly a creepy looking little girl appears and  teleports him away. He ends up in a near future where he's confronted with a post-apocalyptic world, where humankind is almost extinct.

The little girl went to the past to search for the only person that could help her in the fight against the creatures that now rule over the Earth. These creatures are called Mandates. To kill a Mandate its necessary to destroy its Orb Core. However, only adamantium can breach a Orb Core. Thus the importance of Wolverine.

Wolverine Snikt! is written and drawn by manga artist Tsotomu Nihei.

How is it?

After arriving on future Earth Wolverine confronts is first Mandate. He win the battle but barely collapsing immediately after due to the sustained injuries. When he wakes up he's already in the hiding place of the human settlement There he finally talks to Fusa (the little girl)  and meets her people, one of the last human settlement on Earth. He's introduced to the only other person able to kill Mandates, the General. The General is a cyborg with a adamantium  shooting cannon instead of his right arm. The problem is that humankind lost all ability to produce adamantium, and the General's ammunition is running very low.

Eventually Wolverine agrees to help them setup a last attempt at stopping the Mandates. Together with the General, Wolverine launches and attack on the Mandates colony where the Progenitor is believed to be. The Progenitor is the first Mandate and its also the only one capable of reproduction. So taking her out means that the Mandates will, eventually, die out and give a hope of survival to the human race.

Come here, I won't bite
The story is very simple and the ending is somewhat predictable, but that doesn't mean its not an interesting story to read. Tsotomu takes a unique approach to Wolverine and that makes this simple story a joy to read.

The art in this book is simply glorious. Tsotomu's art is a delight to look at. Highly detailed art with strong color contrasts and very,very, very VERY moody and atmospheric settings and backgrounds. The art is what truly shines in this book.

Tsotomu draws Wolverine like a nimble warrior with an X-Men the movie like uniform and, while its not his usual aspect, it looks very good. One thing I liked is that Tsotomu avoided the androgynous look for Wolverine. Sure he looks like a teenager most of the times, but there is no doubt that he is a man.

The Mandates are typical manga monsters. big, scary and constantly shifting.

Hi there ugly
So many uglies to play with

Verdict?

While the story hasn't much depth this is one of my favorite Wolverine books. The aesthetics of future Earth is amazing, the dynamic of the art and the movement sensation that you get when reading this book is really great. The fight scenes are fantastically drawn. Tsutomu is truly a master of his art.

Unfortunately this book is out of print, but if you have the chance of buying it at a reasonable price, go for it.

Publisher: Marvel Comics
Year: 2004
Pages: 120
Authors: Tsutomu Nihei
ISBN0785112391

Its also available in Portuguese

Publisher: Devir
Year: 2005
Pages: 120
Authors: Tsutomu Nihei
ISBN9895591187

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/02/review-wolverine-snikt.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 229 posts

Re: Review: Wolverine Snikt!

Postby GHERU » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 am

Have you written a review yet where you didn't like the book?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:28 am

GHERU wrote:Have you written a review yet where you didn't like the book?

Maybe he is like me and can find the good in anything he reads. :smt102
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:38 am

bkthomson wrote:

I don't care, stop asking me. We are NOT running your review of Hawk's 50 Shades of Grey/ My Little Pony crossover fan fiction.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:47 am

bkthomson wrote:

Mostly yes. I love reading comic books and it must be horrible (to me at least) for me to dish out mean words.

Also, there have been books I hated but chose not to write about them. I try to keep my reviews positive for the most part.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 am

Lord Simian wrote:
I don't care, stop asking me. We are NOT running your review of Hawk's 50 Shades of Grey/ My Little Pony crossover fan fiction.

But it is SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am

covalesky wrote:
Mostly yes. I love reading comic books and it must be horrible (to me at least) for me to dish out mean words.

Also, there have been books I hated but chose not to write about them. I try to keep my reviews positive for the most part.

I can respect that
but there are some books I've read where I've felt that it was my responsibility to help others not make the same mistake
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

GHERU wrote:I can respect that
but there are some books I've read where I've felt that it was my responsibility to help others not make the same mistake

I agree, that's why I only do negative reviews when I think the book absolutely doesn't deserve to be bought. As was the case for Wolverine and The X-Men Vol 3 and Doctor Strange Season 1.

I don't want to be that guys that only has nice things to say, but I don't want to talk down on the work of other just because I don't like one or two details. When I don't like them I'll put up a bad review. If I think its just a boring book I won't even write a review about it.

Now that we talk about this, I have one awful book I should talk about somewhere in the future. But next its Prophet Vol 1.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

RU, its been published. This time I didn't love it too much :D

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Highly underrated series. Not the best from Nihei, but it's good fun.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum