Advertisement

I'm rooting for the inhabitants of Lesbos

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant
25 To Life

Liked in: 0 post

I'm rooting for the inhabitants of Lesbos

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am

Check this story out.

The island is just off the coast where I'll be studying in Turkey in the Fall (in Izmir). Another guy in my program came back and did a presentation on his time there and when he said "Lesbians" a lot of people in the room snickered despite him using it in this context and explaining its history. Kinda sucks that your nationality would elicit that kind of response. It'd be cool if both groups could keep the name, but if I had the choose sides, I go with the island. :(

Advertisement

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 am

The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

I wondered where Lesbian came from, but we could call them Sapphoes. I'd side with the Island too.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

Thunderstorm wrote:The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

I wondered where Lesbian came from, but we could call them Sapphoes. I'd side with the Island too.
I'd vote for something else, just because the shortening of that word (as indicated above) isn't exactly friendly. :(

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

L'Indépendant wrote:I'd vote for something else, just because the shortening of that word (as indicated above) isn't exactly friendly. :(

I was joking. A LOT would change if they changed the word though. They could just be gay, I don't see anything wrong with that, or any reason they need a special word.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 9:39 am

Thunderstorm wrote:I was joking. A LOT would change if they changed the word though. They could just be gay, I don't see anything wrong with that, or any reason they need a special word.
I agree. The male version hasn't exactly become flattering in our culture, so why distinguish?

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

I'm siding with the chicks for obvious reasons...

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I'm siding with the chicks for obvious reasons...

Wow, didn't see that coming at all! :roll:

:P

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Carrie

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby Carrie » Thu May 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

The term "sapphic" is already used to describe things of a lesbian (orientation, not island) nature.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Re: I'm rooting for the inhabitants of Lesbos

Postby DeadFett » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Check this story out.

The island is just off the coast where I'll be studying in Turkey in the Fall (in Izmir). Another guy in my program came back and did a presentation on his time there and when he said "Lesbians" a lot of people in the room snickered despite him using it in this context and explaining its history. Kinda sucks that your nationality would elicit that kind of response. It'd be cool if both groups could keep the name, but if I had the choose sides, I go with the island. :(

I'm for the island as well. They had it first.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 1:23 pm

DeadFett wrote:I'm for the island as well. They had it first.
And it's not like they're asking for anything like autonomy or anything. Just a change in behavior. It gets more grey with issues like the takeover of a Hawaiian palace or the Israel/Palestine shit and kicking people off land or demanding regime changes.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu May 01, 2008 1:34 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:And it's not like they're asking for anything like autonomy or anything. Just a change in behavior. It gets more grey with issues like the takeover of a Hawaiian palace or the Israel/Palestine shit and kicking people off land or demanding regime changes.

I heard about the Hawaii thing when I was on my lunch break at work. I didn't know that's how the US acquired Hawaii.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm

DeadFett wrote:I heard about the Hawaii thing when I was on my lunch break at work. I didn't know that's how the US acquired Hawaii.
Yeah, there are at least a small group of native Hawaiians (and some sympathizers) who are active in that movement. My friend Michelle is native Hawaiian, and is active in a student group at the University of Hilo campaigning on these arguments.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun May 04, 2008 12:18 am

I know a girl from Izmir. Very pretty. And she doesn't look like a Turk, though she's proudly 100 percent Turk. Just a reminder of their complex, multicultural heritage.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 200 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon May 05, 2008 1:13 am

Despite the funny name Lesbos is actually a nice place, I passed through there during my pilgrimage. If you get the chance and/or have the time to visit it I highly recommend doing so.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 am

Vic Mackey wrote:Despite the funny name Lesbos is actually a nice place, I passed through there during my pilgrimage. If you get the chance and/or have the time to visit it I highly recommend doing so.

Your pilgramage?

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum