Tuesday, July 26, 2016 • Morning Edition • "SCORE! The Outhouse does it again!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

I'm rooting for the inhabitants of Lesbos

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 8:44 am

Check this story out.

The island is just off the coast where I'll be studying in Turkey in the Fall (in Izmir). Another guy in my program came back and did a presentation on his time there and when he said "Lesbians" a lot of people in the room snickered despite him using it in this context and explaining its history. Kinda sucks that your nationality would elicit that kind of response. It'd be cool if both groups could keep the name, but if I had the choose sides, I go with the island. :(

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 am

The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

I wondered where Lesbian came from, but we could call them Sapphoes. I'd side with the Island too.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am

Thunderstorm wrote:The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

I wondered where Lesbian came from, but we could call them Sapphoes. I'd side with the Island too.
I'd vote for something else, just because the shortening of that word (as indicated above) isn't exactly friendly. :(

Thunderstorm

Not a Kardashian

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am

L'Indépendant wrote:I'd vote for something else, just because the shortening of that word (as indicated above) isn't exactly friendly. :(

I was joking. A LOT would change if they changed the word though. They could just be gay, I don't see anything wrong with that, or any reason they need a special word.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 9:39 am

Thunderstorm wrote:I was joking. A LOT would change if they changed the word though. They could just be gay, I don't see anything wrong with that, or any reason they need a special word.
I agree. The male version hasn't exactly become flattering in our culture, so why distinguish?

MoneyMelon

Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 am

I'm siding with the chicks for obvious reasons...

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am

MoneyMelon wrote:I'm siding with the chicks for obvious reasons...

Wow, didn't see that coming at all! :roll:

:P

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Thu May 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Thunderstorm wrote:The term lesbian originated from a mythological goddess and poet called Sappho, who was a native of Lesbos.

The term "sapphic" is already used to describe things of a lesbian (orientation, not island) nature.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Thu May 01, 2008 1:21 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:Check this story out.

The island is just off the coast where I'll be studying in Turkey in the Fall (in Izmir). Another guy in my program came back and did a presentation on his time there and when he said "Lesbians" a lot of people in the room snickered despite him using it in this context and explaining its history. Kinda sucks that your nationality would elicit that kind of response. It'd be cool if both groups could keep the name, but if I had the choose sides, I go with the island. :(

I'm for the island as well. They had it first.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 1:23 pm

DeadFett wrote:I'm for the island as well. They had it first.
And it's not like they're asking for anything like autonomy or anything. Just a change in behavior. It gets more grey with issues like the takeover of a Hawaiian palace or the Israel/Palestine shit and kicking people off land or demanding regime changes.

DeadFett

Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Thu May 01, 2008 1:34 pm

L'Indépendant wrote:And it's not like they're asking for anything like autonomy or anything. Just a change in behavior. It gets more grey with issues like the takeover of a Hawaiian palace or the Israel/Palestine shit and kicking people off land or demanding regime changes.

I heard about the Hawaii thing when I was on my lunch break at work. I didn't know that's how the US acquired Hawaii.

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu May 01, 2008 1:47 pm

DeadFett wrote:I heard about the Hawaii thing when I was on my lunch break at work. I didn't know that's how the US acquired Hawaii.
Yeah, there are at least a small group of native Hawaiians (and some sympathizers) who are active in that movement. My friend Michelle is native Hawaiian, and is active in a student group at the University of Hilo campaigning on these arguments.

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Sun May 04, 2008 12:18 am

I know a girl from Izmir. Very pretty. And she doesn't look like a Turk, though she's proudly 100 percent Turk. Just a reminder of their complex, multicultural heritage.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon May 05, 2008 1:13 am

Despite the funny name Lesbos is actually a nice place, I passed through there during my pilgrimage. If you get the chance and/or have the time to visit it I highly recommend doing so.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 am

Vic Mackey wrote:Despite the funny name Lesbos is actually a nice place, I passed through there during my pilgrimage. If you get the chance and/or have the time to visit it I highly recommend doing so.

Your pilgramage?

leave a comment with facebook