Advertisement

RPGs...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Re: RPGs...

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 pm

My gaming group is trying to finish our big D&D quest this sunday. We're heading over at noon and playing until our DM's Christmas Party starts at 7:30. I've dubbed it A Very D&D Christmas.

I made a thread on the board after coming home from my first session a year and a half ago. We're playing "A Night Below" one of the longest adventures that D&D had ever written at that point. The group has been playing for over two years- travel has put it on hiatus more than once. I joined up several months in with a level 4 fighter. I'm level 13 now (mostly fighter a bit of rogue). We're fighting Aboleth (weird Lovecraftian fish monsters) in an underground city and have to destroy a magic tower complex to stop them from taking over the world. I have a magic sword that extends like the Sword of Omens- it's pretty boss. After this is over, our DM is going to roll up a random dungeon and then start something new at first level. I'm looking forward to creating a new character knowing more about the game (I'm going to play as some kind of gnome spell caster next). I really like my gaming group too- there are a couple people I knew before joining in it, but it's mostly new friends I've made through the group. It's nice to have nerdy friends unconnected with the rest of my life to hang out with (like this place, but in 3-D and with less slap fights).

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 1 post
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:37 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:My gaming group is trying to finish our big D&D quest this sunday. We're heading over at noon and playing until our DM's Christmas Party starts at 7:30. I've dubbed it A Very D&D Christmas.

I made a thread on the board after coming home from my first session a year and a half ago. We're playing "A Night Below" one of the longest adventures that D&D had ever written at that point. The group has been playing for over two years- travel has put it on hiatus more than once. I joined up several months in with a level 4 fighter. I'm level 13 now (mostly fighter a bit of rogue). We're fighting Aboleth (weird Lovecraftian fish monsters) in an underground city and have to destroy a magic tower complex to stop them from taking over the world. I have a magic sword that extends like the Sword of Omens- it's pretty boss. After this is over, our DM is going to roll up a random dungeon and then start something new at first level. I'm looking forward to creating a new character knowing more about the game (I'm going to play as some kind of gnome spell caster next). I really like my gaming group too- there are a couple people I knew before joining in it, but it's mostly new friends I've made through the group. It's nice to have nerdy friends unconnected with the rest of my life to hang out with (like this place, but in 3-D and with less slap fights).

Cool. So after this session wraps up, will the new D&D session be a one-off or something longer term? What rules will you be using and have you guys considered other games?

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 pm

sdsichero wrote:
Cool. So after this session wraps up, will the new D&D session be a one-off or something longer term? What rules will you be using and have you guys considered other games?

We're using 3.5. We'll do the one off dungeon with our characters and then something new. What that is I'm not really sure. Just because of our schedules it's probably not going to be something he's written. He owns other stuff or maybe something new- kinda up to him/the group. We haven't really talked about it since he's been so adamant about scheduling an end to this one. I only know our Ranger wants to play a Rogue next and I'm big on playing a Gnome. I've read a lot about Pathfinder and I'm going to suggest that on the next one we (at least) house-rule in some of the changes they made to skills and attempt to end dead levels like they did (I can't tell you how annoying it was as a fighter to hit a level and get absolutely nothing outside of attack bonuses and saving throw improvements while the cleric got the power to alter reality). Paizo publishes a lot of the current stuff, so switching at least partly over to that may be in order if he doesn't have other old stuff he wants to run or wants to run something new (I've suggested to the group that we buy him an adventure book or something after running this massive campaign). I'm totally on his side for not switching to 4E as a. people have the 3.5 rules/they are online for free (pathfinder's stuff is free online too) b. his books aren't compatible at all with that and I understand c. from some of the podcasts/video casts of 4E, it's so combat heavy and it takes forever.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:44 am

I run a game of Villains and Vigilantes every other week.
"Diversity equals division"

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:20 am

mrorangesoda wrote:
We're using 3.5. We'll do the one off dungeon with our characters and then something new. What that is I'm not really sure. Just because of our schedules it's probably not going to be something he's written. He owns other stuff or maybe something new- kinda up to him/the group. We haven't really talked about it since he's been so adamant about scheduling an end to this one. I only know our Ranger wants to play a Rogue next and I'm big on playing a Gnome. I've read a lot about Pathfinder and I'm going to suggest that on the next one we (at least) house-rule in some of the changes they made to skills and attempt to end dead levels like they did (I can't tell you how annoying it was as a fighter to hit a level and get absolutely nothing outside of attack bonuses and saving throw improvements while the cleric got the power to alter reality). Paizo publishes a lot of the current stuff, so switching at least partly over to that may be in order if he doesn't have other old stuff he wants to run or wants to run something new (I've suggested to the group that we buy him an adventure book or something after running this massive campaign). I'm totally on his side for not switching to 4E as a. people have the 3.5 rules/they are online for free (pathfinder's stuff is free online too) b. his books aren't compatible at all with that and I understand c. from some of the podcasts/video casts of 4E, it's so combat heavy and it takes forever.

Understand not wanting to switch to 4E. Some of the sourcebooks are a decent read though.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 am

Food Eater lad wrote:I run a game of Villains and Vigilantes every other week.

Cool, is this with the original '79 rules? I had that book but I have no idea what happened to it.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Its those rules, but over the years I have created a bunch of house rules. I think its still the funest of all the RPG games.
"Diversity equals division"

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:09 pm

I miss playing Rifts.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:54 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:I miss playing Rifts.

As with many a game I had some of the books but never got to play. :-(

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:45 pm

sdsichero wrote:
As with many a game I had some of the books but never got to play. :-(

I had all the World books, and a few of the Rift Demension books (Skraypers and Wurmwood), along with Heroes Unlimited, Villains Unlinited, the Palladium conversion book, and Century City, I had quite the universe.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:41 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:
I had all the World books, and a few of the Rift Demension books (Skraypers and Wurmwood), along with Heroes Unlimited, Villains Unlinited, the Palladium conversion book, and Century City, I had quite the universe.

Did you play (and if so what was your preferred character) or GM?

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:18 pm

sdsichero wrote:

I was always the GM or DM in any group I played.

I did have a Leyline Walker npc I used frequently.

Did you play (and if so what was your preferred character) or GM?

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:24 pm

cool

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:10 am

xposting in star wars thread.

I saw the beta version in a local gaming store, but I guess the final version is now out...

The Star Wars(R): Edge of the Empire(TM) Beginner Game Is Now Available

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 pm

ok this is not an rpg but.. it's tabletop. Potentially. I don't remember Palladium skirmish rules but I remembering thinking the megadamage thing was a bit... broken or weird.

Palladium Launches Robotech RPG Tactics Game On Kickstarter
Roleplaying game company Palladium Books launched today a new project on Kickstarter, the Robotech RPG Tactics game. The project reached its goal of $70,000 in a mere three hours.

The game is based on '80s Japanese animation Robotech, featuring the transforming Veritechs and other walking tank-like Mechs fighting the alien Zentraedi army. The idea for the game was inspired by Robotech's vocal followers. Kevin Siembieda, Palladium's founder and Chief Game Designer, said, "We had a fan-inspired movement posting things on our Facebook page. 'Have you ever considered doing sculptures and more of a tabletop game?' Tom Roache, one of our playtesters, spearheaded the whole thing."

Palladium, known for RPGs like Palladium Fantasy and Rifts, has had a Robotech RPG in print since 1986. They launched a second edition in 2008. With the Robotech RPG Tactics game, the company seeking crowdfunding for a series of miniatures and books to bring skirmishes and massive battles to the tabletop. Interestingly enough, those who do not play the Robotech RPG can still use the upcoming Robotech RPG Tactics game for a purely miniature battle game. "Whenever I design a game, I always try to reach the broadest possible market," said Siembieda. "Here is something that could appeal to our roleplaying base, to tabletop war gamers, to Robotech fans who just might want to collect the game pieces to put on the shelves."

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum