Advertisement

RPGs...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

eyp
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 0 post

Postby eyp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:30 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Jan 5th.

:-D

Keep your eyes peeled to teh front page.

Top 166 Villains.
30+ OPC members.

We should get someone to make a youtube trailer for this. :-D :-D

Advertisement

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1022 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:31 pm

That would be fuckin awesome!

eyp
Fagorstorm

Postby eyp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:32 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:That would be fuckin awesome!

Who does that stuff here?

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1022 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:33 pm

eypcrew2 wrote:Who does that stuff here?

I dunno

make a thread. :-)

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 808 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:43 pm

Nightfly wrote:Believe it or not I've actually never even tried a computer rpg (at least not a strictly turn based one). I can't help but find them too limiting.
I like making crazy characters with exotic weapons - shit like Hair Fu and Flying Guillotines :-D

I don't have the benefit of a regular gaming group at the moment, but I derive lots of joy from designing battle maps and tactical scenarios, as well as making new characters each month [to playtest my scenarios with].

I also get a kick out of translating, interpreting events and/or items from various media sources into the rpg math.

Never tried Hero as it seemed kind of daunting to me. As I mentioned I suck at math... but I did love the Feng Shui system. That was a fun game. I think I had the most fun with that and WEG. D&D was fun too, but in a different way (FS & WEGs were liberating, D&D was more about getting stuff).

KillerShrike
cheese

Postby KillerShrike » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:46 pm

TSR Marvel was the game I played the most. The original rules were so simple it didn't take much to put something together. Champions was a better system if you wanted to emulate the comics.

I also played some D+D, Cyberpunk, Mechwarrior, and Teenagers From Outer Space.

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby AaronW » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:54 pm

Games I've played

Basic D&D
1e AD&D
3.0/3.5 D&D
Villains and Vigilantes
DC Heroes 1st/2nd/3rd edition
Marvel Super Heroes/Advanced
Space Ace
Warhammer FRP 1e
Call of Cthulhu
Chill 1e
Heroes Unlimited 1e/2e
Mutants And Masterminds 1e
Castles & Crusades
The Fantasy Trip
GURPS 3e
Talislantia 1e
FASA Star Trek
FASA Dr Who

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Nightfly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:15 pm

sdsichero wrote:Never tried Hero as it seemed kind of daunting to me. As I mentioned I suck at math... but I did love the Feng Shui system. That was a fun game. I think I had the most fun with that and WEG. D&D was fun too, but in a different way (FS & WEGs were liberating, D&D was more about getting stuff).

It was the "getting stuff" greediness that got old for me regarding D&D, I also grew quite tired of class & level restrictions.

I also found HERO's math daunting so I had my brother that's good w/ math whip a spreadsheet up for me four most daunting/main formulas making the math instantly easy for me. Over the years I've learned the HERO math sufficiently enough that I could play w/out the spreadsheet, but it does still make my rules heavy style go by faster.

Plus just about every element can be written up simple, complex or anywhere in between. So you can adjust your methods/writeups as you gain more knowledge 'n comfort w/ the system.

KillerShrike wrote:Champions was a better system if you wanted to emulate the comics.

Champions is just the HERO system's 'four colorized' setting. HERO is the best system to emulate anything;
Pulp Hero for Indiana Jones style adventuring
Fantasy Hero for LOTR / D&D fans
Dark Champions for realistic grim & gritty heroes
Champions for comicbook style heroics
Star Hero for Trek/Star Wars styled gaming
Ninja Hero for martial arts gaming
Western Hero self explanatory
they even have a Teen Hero genre book for High School aged heroes.

You truly don't need the genre books as everything originates from the Core Rules, but the various setting books are full of inspiring ideas.
Personally, I mix elements from all their genre books as a matter-of-course.
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts
Title: Ain't enough space bitches

Postby Strict31 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:32 pm

sdsichero wrote:Cool. We gonna see some of your drawings?

http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13754&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Started gaming when I was about 8 or 9. In grade school and high school, we focused mainly on 1st d AD&D and Marvel. Ran a "Days of Future Past" campaign based loosely on some module TSR had put out. But we used original characters. We never used the pre-gen heroes except as NPCS of note. We also did some Star Wars gaming back then, and some Robotech, TMNT and the Mechwarrior RPG.

In college, I ran a Shadowrun campaign, and prior to that, a 2nd ed AD&D campaign set in Greyhawk. Both were pretty fun. Didn't really have a problem with min/maxers in the SR game. This was mainly because, at the time, no one really knew what to make of the setting. it was always an odd fit for folks who came straight from AD&D half their lives.

As a result, they didn't really know how to tweak the rules to generate superbadassmofos. And with the damage system, a bullet could still cack the toughest troll Sam.

I did have some twinks in my AD&D game. But it was easy to keep them in line with such things as a murder investigation from the local constabulary (they were ALWAYS in the wrong place at just the right time), and a treasure that carried a geas. Greedy dogs. Messed around with Ravenloft and Spelljammer for a bit. But that never really took off.

After that, I briefly ran a Vampire: The Masquerade game that ended up being pretty cool. Was running that with a bunch of guys who had just gotten back from the first Gulf War. Predictably perhaps, they all played soldiers...

I got out of gaming at that point for a long while. Drugs were pretty fun, as it turned out. Some friends at work got really excited about Mage and Trinity/Aeon, so we tried that out. Mage was not entirely unlike Shadowrun for me, because it was very difficult for me to get a grasp on the character concepts. Magic was supposed to be very low key, so I didn't see much fun in playing most of the character concepts we came up with.

Got a handle on it after a while and I started running a Mage game myself. When my campaign came to an end and someone else began running the game, he decided to open it to the entire World of Darkness setting. I was burnt out on playing Mages and arguing and shit, so I played a weretiger.

It was like running a 20th level fighter amidst a gaggle of 3rd level wizards and thieves. And that's just the way the rules worked. I dunno how the ST balanced that shit out in his mind. But everytime I asked if this was fair or if that was balanced, he'd say, "That's how it's supposed to work. Do it."

it was like running a hong kong action movie, and was the most fun I've had in a game in years.

Then, we turned to Aberrant, which was a superhero (sorta) prequel to the futuristic Trinity. In 30 years or so, these superhero characters would go mad with power and become the primary villains in the trinity setting.

basically.

That was fun for a while, but gamer ridiculopathy rapidly disintegrated my interest. Plus, the gaming group suffered a pretty big rift. I ran a very small Star Trek game for a while, and that was fun: mirror universes and sexy Borg bitches. But the company producing the game tanked before they could release most of their sourcebooks. Another company picked up the license from Paramount, but the rules set was ate-up-with-a-dumb-ass. And then, they tanked. Again, before they could release more than a few books.

So, i didn't play Aberrant again until a couple years later, this time online. After that, Mutants and Masterminds, which was a much more generic, user-friendly superhero setting. far more versatile game. Also online. But that's when I got out of gaming this last time.

I had a lot of plans for M&M; I began making my own setting. The company that designed the game had a "Superlink" project, where users could actually publish material under the license. So, I planned on releasing my own setting sourcebook for the game, but life, as they say, got in the way of publishing.

But when I create a setting and an entire world of characters (some of which you'll see in that link above), I can't just let go of those ideas.

They're still bouncing around inside my head, changing and developing and so forth. I sorta figured I might try eventually to write a novel about these characters, but was always dismayed by the almost total lack of interest in superhero novels that weren't named "Wild Cards".

But with the release of books like "Soon I Will Be Invicible" and "Devil's Cape" (both of which I highly muthafuckin recommend), I'm thinking the idea might not be so bad. But nowadays, I'm still trying to figure out how to make my setting and characters stand out from those of every other guy with the idea to do the same.

So, like i said, a lot of my free time now is devoted to character design (through illustration) and trying to make the setting stand out somehow.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

"You must be proud, bold, pleasant, resolute,
And now and then stab, as occasion serves."

Edward II: Act 2 Scene 1, by Christopher Marlowe

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:39 pm

Nightfly wrote:My preferred system is HERO, currently on the 5th edition [revised].

Started playing D&D, then spent years w/ AD&D before moving to HERO, after comparing and contrasting it to GURPS.
I still buy books from multiple systems and just apply what I like to my HERO gaming.

Believe it or not I've actually never even tried a computer rpg (at least not a strictly turn based one). I can't help but find them too limiting.
I like making crazy characters with exotic weapons - shit like Hair Fu and Flying Guillotines :-D

I don't have the benefit of a regular gaming group at the moment, but I derive lots of joy from designing battle maps and tactical scenarios, as well as making new characters each month [to playtest my scenarios with].

I also get a kick out of translating, interpreting events and/or items from various media sources into the rpg math.

I understand what you mean about limitations, sure. But there's something to be said for a game like Baldur's gate or Neverwinter Nights, where you don't have to rely upon getting together a bunch of argumentative bitches who wanna do nothing more than make up for the inadequacies of their lives by "rolling" up a super-twink character who breathes fireballs and shits chainsaws.

And who will turn to page 247 to produce an optional rule that allows them t spontaneously transform those chainsaws into +10 Holy Avenger Chainswords with Arrows of Slaying for blades.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:45 pm

wowwww

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:47 pm

CountD wrote:wowwww

Yeah, that +10 Chainsword is a heavy muther.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Strict31 wrote:I understand what you mean about limitations, sure. But there's something to be said for a game like Baldur's gate or Neverwinter Nights, where you don't have to rely upon getting together a bunch of argumentative bitches who wanna do nothing more than make up for the inadequacies of their lives by "rolling" up a super-twink character who breathes fireballs and shits chainsaws.

And who will turn to page 247 to produce an optional rule that allows them t spontaneously transform those chainsaws into +10 Holy Avenger Chainswords with Arrows of Slaying for blades.

I got around that shit fast by showing that my boss villains would always be proportionate to the hero squad. And the more superpowerful in one area they'd get I'd counter with threats they weren't prepared to defend - including mentalists, uncoventional gravities & environmental conditions, radiation, diseases, you name it.
Plus the starting point limits (wherever they're originally set) can go a long way in controlling character balance/design in the first place.

Two things my groups learn fast, (1) the more ultra-powerful you are the more likely your failures will result in death [which sux when your characters are complex and took awhile to generate] and (2) to please their GM and increase their chances of survival they best be as well-rounded as possible, including skills, gear, vehicles, mounts, followers, contacts, reputation, and defenses against anything and everything you can think of. And I'm not just talking well rounded about individual PCs but also unit diversity as well.

Strict31
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Strict31 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Nightfly wrote:I got around that shit fast by showing that my boss villains would always be proportionate to the hero squad. And the more superpowerful in one area they'd get I'd counter with threats they weren't prepared to defend - including mentalists, uncoventional gravities & environmental conditions, radiation, diseases, you name it.
Plus the starting point limits (wherever they're originally set) can go a long way in controlling character balance/design in the first place.

Two things my groups learn fast, (1) the more ultra-powerful you are the more likely your failures will result in death [which sux when your characters are complex and took awhile to generate] and (2) to please their GM and increase their chances of survival they best be as well-rounded as possible, including skills, gear, vehicles, mounts, followers, contacts, reputation, and defenses against anything and everything you can think of. And I'm not just talking well rounded about individual PCs but also unit diversity as well.

There was this muthafucka I played with...No matter what you did, no matter how you smacked him down, no matter how you rewarded him, he was always scheming for moremoremore. He was constantly drifting out of character to attain that moremoremore.

So, I finally said, "Fuck it", and ran a game where his character was finally tailor made for his playing style. It ended up being the most hilarious game I've ever played, and ended up with his character butt-ass nekkid, covered in the blood and intestines of a fat lady (ya hadda be there...), hiding in the bushes with a garden hose in one hand as the other players discovered him.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:09 pm

Strict31 wrote:Yeah, that +10 Chainsword is a heavy muther.

One of my personal PCs has a gun-sword inspired by one of the Pirates of the Caribbean video games.
Score a good hit and a flintlock-styled pistol attached to the grip fires along the line of the sword :) Mine's rigged to autofire x2 rounds per appropriate hit 8)

I also like knife fighting amidst gun-kata action

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum