Thursday, May 26, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Those who arrive survive. Maybe."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Science News

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Emmoney

cheese

Postby Emmoney » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:16 am

David Bird wrote:Yes, sadly, a lot of scientists prefer to limit the number of things to they take into account, rather than develop more sophisticated models.

Circumcision prevents the spread of AIDS: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/11/health/webmd/main1794135.shtml


good thing we teach our kids to have safe sex!
User avatar

Known Human

Indie Rock Jedi

Postby Known Human » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:18 am

Emmoney wrote:
good thing we teach our kids to have safe sex!


You've got a couple years before you have to worry about that, at least three, four if you're lucky.
User avatar

Emmoney

cheese

Postby Emmoney » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:19 am

Known Human wrote:
You've got a couple years before you have to worry about that, at least three, four if you're lucky.


:? :?

shit.
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:23 am

woznia17 wrote:Do you have Alzheimer's?


I was kidding. Mind you, many middle aged people do have Alzheimers. It just isn't advanced enough to become a problem, so... Maybe...
User avatar

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:25 am

David Bird wrote:
I was kidding. Mind you, many middle aged people do have Alzheimers. It just isn't advanced enough to become a problem, so... Maybe...
Gotcha. Hope you don't...my great aunt, who lived next door to us for 7 years when we moved to Michigan, had it. Worst thing I ever saw happen to a person.
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 am

So, we've been doing it all wrong! http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392823
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:24 am

woznia17 wrote:Gotcha. Hope you don't...my great aunt, who lived next door to us for 7 years when we moved to Michigan, had it. Worst thing I ever saw happen to a person.


My great-grandmother-in-law has it pretty severely. Of course, she's 97. But still... it's hard to see her and hear about what a strong woman she once was. Anita Tucker was the Postmaster General of Christmas, Florida for FORTY NINE years, or so, while raising 4 kids, usually on her own, as he husband was a cattle-driver!
User avatar

L Independant

25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:29 am

Lord Simian wrote:
My great-grandmother-in-law has it pretty severely. Of course, she's 97. But still... it's hard to see her and hear about what a strong woman she once was. Anita Tucker was the Postmaster General of Christmas, Florida for FORTY NINE years, or so, while raising 4 kids, usually on her own, as he husband was a cattle-driver!
Damn.

My great aunt used to come over (for whatever reason, I was coincidentally out of the house, so I didn't see it) and start asking for her parents. This was a woman who was in her late 60s/early 70s at the time (you ask her, she was always 29), asking for her parents...who'd been dead for longer than I'd been alive...quite a bit longer. When she left us, there was a bit of a sigh of relief, because it sucks to see a person you love go through that. You want them to remember the years you played cards together in the summer and whatnot, not believe that the now is 40 years ago in their mind.
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:53 am

My father had very advanced Alzheimers when he died, but I had stopped seeing him by then. I know others who had done the same I thought it wasn't right, but I came to realize that they really don't know and you get to remember the person you knew.
User avatar

Croaker

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Croaker » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:58 pm

My great-grandmother had Alzheimer's and my wife's grandmother has it right now. It really is one of the saddest and most horrible things I've ever seen. I pray I die before I get like that.

That was what was really sad about my grandpa's death, his mind was fine, but he had adult diabeties, and his body just wasted away. I am glad he died before we had to put him in a home, though, because that would just have crushed him.
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:13 am

Demon Duck of Doom? Sometimes I think they're making it up as they go along: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13825566/?GT1=8307
User avatar

Known Human

Indie Rock Jedi

Postby Known Human » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:17 am

David Bird wrote:Demon Duck of Doom? Sometimes I think they're making it up as they go along: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13825566/?GT1=8307



As a member of the press I can say, they pretty much are.

Second, we blew that thread up earlier this week.
User avatar

David Bird

rubber spoon

Postby David Bird » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:29 am

Known Human wrote:Second, we blew that thread up earlier this week.


Oh?

Jeff

Post Whore

Postby Jeff » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:49 am

I just watched a BBC documentary about 'global dimming' apparently all that particulate matter we spew into the air is reflecting sunlight and actually has a cooling effect on the climate. This has mitigated the warming effect of CO2 induced global warming. The ironic thing is as we clear up particulate pollution we will enchance the effects of global warming unless we reduce CO2 emmissions at the same time.
User avatar

Known Human

Indie Rock Jedi

Postby Known Human » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:24 am

Jeff wrote:I just watched a BBC documentary about 'global dimming' apparently all that particulate matter we spew into the air is reflecting sunlight and actually has a cooling effect on the climate. This has mitigated the warming effect of CO2 induced global warming. The ironic thing is as we clear up particulate pollution we will enchance the effects of global warming unless we reduce CO2 emmissions at the same time.


Global cooling was high science just three decades ago. Top scientists were predicting another ice age.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Earth-2 NoctourneM, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Keb, MSNbot Media, sdsichero and 34 guests