Advertisement

Separating art from artist

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76187
Likes: 441 posts
Liked in: 661 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm not a fan of his politics, but I still proudly display my signed Adolf Hitler "Dogs Playing Poker" original.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16091
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Not really. Especially when the person is so incredibly out spoken. I think of EVS during the last election, I own a sketch by the guy(which I'm thinking of selling) but it's incredibly hard for me to read a comic by him. At this point I appreciate that Bill Willingham keeps his mouth shut. I imagine alot of right wing believers have to do this or they wouldn't be able to actually enjoy any art whatsover.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33633
Likes: 942 posts
Liked in: 514 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:53 pm

It's funny how the marketing for Ender's Game pretty much spoils the big surprise at the end of the movie.
-

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33633
Likes: 942 posts
Liked in: 514 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:56 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Not really. Especially when the person is so incredibly out spoken. I think of EVS during the last election, I own a sketch by the guy(which I'm thinking of selling) but it's incredibly hard for me to read a comic by him.
I don't understand that line of thinking at all. Is EVS putting subliminal rightwing claptrap in his art? (He was the SEX in NXM guy, right?) Otherwise, why is it hard to read?

Most people are assholes anyway, shouldn't we separate the product from the producer?
-

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16091
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 pm

outsider wrote:I don't understand that line of thinking at all. Is EVS putting subliminal rightwing claptrap in his art? (He was the SEX in NXM guy, right?) Otherwise, why is it hard to read?

Most people are assholes anyway, shouldn't we separate the product from the producer?


This was a realization I came to in the last year. I just couldn't handle his constant boderline racist and fox news sponsored facebook rants. So I just decided to stop caring about anything he had to say or do.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33633
Likes: 942 posts
Liked in: 514 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
This was a realization I came to in the last year. I just couldn't handle his constant boderline racist and fox news sponsored facebook rants. So I just decided to stop caring about anything he had to say or do.
I get that, but has his art gotten worse because of his ideologies (like he won't draw nekkid wimmen or somesuch)?
Or is it just the emotional association? Y'know, like reading a toolverine post would increase blood pressure... :smt013
-

guitarsmashley
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 16091
Likes: 224 posts
Liked in: 326 posts
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Title: Self Important


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm

outsider wrote:I get that, but has his art gotten worse because of his ideologies (like he won't draw nekkid wimmen or somesuch)?
Or is it just the emotional association? Y'know, like reading a toolverine post would increase blood pressure... :smt013


For me it's an emotional response, his art just doesn't interest me anymore.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.


doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk



I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Image

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33633
Likes: 942 posts
Liked in: 514 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:11 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
For me it's an emotional response, his art just doesn't interest me anymore.
candidate for hormone replacement therapy, imo
-

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76187
Likes: 441 posts
Liked in: 661 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:18 pm

EVS on Facebook is awesome. Stop hatin'.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

outsider
User avatar
Outhouse Drafter
 
Posts: 33633
Likes: 942 posts
Liked in: 514 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:35 pm
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby outsider » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:20 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:EVS on Facebook is awesome. Stop hatin'.
I'm permanently off of Facebook.
Can you share some nuggets? I love the flavor of crazy.
-

Chris
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 41349
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 41 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby Chris » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm

I can definitely seperate art from artist, and do it all the time. The product has to be really good, though.

Justiniano sucks.
Image

Keb
User avatar
<( ' . ' )>
 
Posts: 39911
Likes: 159 posts
Liked in: 297 posts
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Right near de mountains, boy!
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby Keb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't buy rap music from black rappers.

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76187
Likes: 441 posts
Liked in: 661 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:27 pm

outsider wrote:I'm permanently off of Facebook.
Can you share some nuggets? I love the flavor of crazy.


I don't think he's crazy, I think he knows exactly what he's doing, basically the equivalent of stirring up political slapfights on the Outhouse. When he speaks about his views, they are frequently liberal when it comes to social rights (gay marriage, etc) but conservative when it comes to matters of the government and Obama. He also posts a lot about old, black and white TV and movies, which I enjoy. He has a pretty large group of followers that comment on his threads. It's really a lot like this place.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12216
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 36 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:27 pm

Keb wrote:I don't buy rap music from black rappers.


So you own a Macklemore CD, Eminem's entire catalog and To The Extreme?

S.F. Jude Terror
User avatar
OMCTO
 
Posts: 76187
Likes: 441 posts
Liked in: 661 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:44 pm
Location: Up Your Ass
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror


Re: Separating art from artist

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:28 pm

But, as a matter of professional courtesy, I don't comment or report on his facebook stuff. I consider myself "off duty" (heh - doody) when I'm on his page.
Image
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Pizza Dog and 45 guests

Advertisement