Advertisement

Skullkickers, how did this get by me?!

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 am

Fantastic isn't it?!
In 2010 Image Comics published the first issue of a fantasy / comedy series called Skullkickers. Jim Zub, Edwin Huang and Chris Stevens are the names behind the book.

The first trade, that came out in 2011, Skullkickers Volume 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body and it got a good reception, however I managed miss it completely.

Image published the 2nd Volume Five Funerals and a Bucket of Blood also in 2011 and in 2012 the 3rd Volume Six Shooter on the Seven Seas.

In 2013 the first 2 Volumes, plus extras got collected into a Hardcover edition called Treasure Trove.

Just this weekend I was googling something (don't recall what) and somehow ended up on Jim Zub's site, more precisely a post about Digital vs Physical reach. Its a really good post, well written, very interesting to read about Jim's experience with the digital promotion of Skullkickers. This made me do a bit more search on Mr Jim Zub's work, I found a couple of books that looked interesting, but it was Skullkickers that stayed with me.

While I was browsing for more information, I noticed that this shares many resemblances with a series I've been on board since the start and loved all books its put out. IDW's D&D by John Rogers, Andrea Di Vito. Like IDW's series Skulkickers presents good art, a fantasy base plot and a promise for epic kickassery that only a dwarf can dish out.

Just a beer with the boys
From what I could see from the pages that are available on-line and from Edwin Huang and Chris Stevens deviantart pages, at least I'm going to enjoy looking at the book. The style is very clean but powerful with very distinct characters and some dwarfian fan favorite cliches.

So I went and ordered the first volume. Its only £6.75 (or 9.99$) at Amazon. Sadly this was the only book that got delayed in that order, so I'll have to wait a few more days until I can finally get my hands on what looks like a great book.

Merc #2
Merc # 1

For more about Skullkickers check out the official website.

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/01/skullkickers-how-did-this-get-by-me.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum