Saturday, January 20, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Newsarama 2: Outhouse Boogaloo."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Soccer in general

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:02 pm

I've never ever got that Man U thing at all and I know plenty of season ticket holders who refer to them as Man U all the time. I don't think it's that bad at all. I can see some idiots on the internet ruining it though.
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
Just a note, Man U/ManU is an insult used by supporters of other clubs stemming from chants regarding the Munich air disaster. From then its evolved into more classless insults spinning off from that.

Best to know that in case you talk to someone aware of that :P

I don't know anyone who follows soccer.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Jubilee wrote:I've never ever got that Man U thing at all and I know plenty of season ticket holders who refer to them as Man U all the time. I don't think it's that bad at all. I can see some idiots on the internet ruining it though.


Yeah the way they've clamped down on hooliganism this decade is probably to thank...though there's still a few incidents like the West Ham/Spurs game where the attitude is alive and well.

I got lectures about it in primary school from a kid who's immigrated from the UK :P
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 pm

The Internet seems more preoccupied calling us glory hunters :P
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:The Internet seems more preoccupied calling us glory hunters :P


You say that as if you're not. :P :wink:
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
You say that as if you're not. :P :wink:


If I was a gloryhunter I'd have been a Liverpool supporter in the 90's :P

How many Liverpool supporters does it take to change a lightbulb? :wink:
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:
If I was a gloryhunter I'd have been a Liverpool supporter in the 90's :P


A fair enough point. :lol:

How many Liverpool supporters does it take to change a lightbulb? :wink:


OK, I'll bite.

How many?
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
OK, I'll bite.

How many?

None, they just sit in the dark talking about how good the old one used to be
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 am

fieldy snuts wrote:None, they just sit in the dark talking about how good the old one used to be


:lol:
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 am

Explain some things to me.

What's the deal with all the cups and championships?

Is there some sort of hierarchy of importance?

Or do they not have anything to so with one another?

Like the FA Cup, Champions League, Super Cup, etc.?


As someone who grew up with American sports its odd to see so many different championships that a team can compete for... I don't get it.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 am

Chris wrote:Explain some things to me.

What's the deal with all the cups and championships?

Is there some sort of hierarchy of importance?

Or do they not have anything to so with one another?

Like the FA Cup, Champions League, Super Cup, etc.?


As someone who grew up with American sports its odd to see so many different championships that a team can compete for... I don't get it.


In the UK, there are three main tournaments: in order of importance, the divisional leagues (the Premiership is the top flight, the Championship comes next, then League One etc), the FA Cup and whatever the League Cup is called nowadays. The latter are knockout tournaments that are open to all teams (so you sometimes get giant-killings). The Champions League is a tournament of the top three or four teams from each European country. The Super Cup is a tournament for the winners of the Champions' League and other worldwide equivalents (but isn't as important or prestigious as it sounds).

The top Premiership teams tend to care least about the League Cup. The FA Cup is prestigious, so teams tend to go all-out. Still, the actual leagues are important, as the bottom teams will be relegated from each division and the top teams promoted.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:21 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
If I was a gloryhunter I'd have been a Liverpool supporter in the 90's :P



The 80's. Man Utd's dominance began in 1992, and Liverpool were already a spent force by then.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:36 am

nietoperz wrote:
In the UK, there are three main tournaments: in order of importance, the divisional leagues (the Premiership is the top flight, the Championship comes next, then League One etc), the FA Cup and whatever the League Cup is called nowadays. The latter are knockout tournaments that are open to all teams (so you sometimes get giant-killings). The Champions League is a tournament of the top three or four teams from each European country. The Super Cup is a tournament for the winners of the Champions' League and other worldwide equivalents (but isn't as important or prestigious as it sounds).

The top Premiership teams tend to care least about the League Cup. The FA Cup is prestigious, so teams tend to go all-out. Still, the actual leagues are important, as the bottom teams will be relegated from each division and the top teams promoted.


This.

There's also the Europa League. Qualifications for that are so convoluted I won't even bother trying to explain it, but basically teams that miss out on Champions League spots get a place there. It's like the Division 2 of Europe.

BTW I just heard that Juninho is moving from the Brazilian League to the NY Red Bulls in January. If you see him play I hope you get to see one of his epic free kicks....undoubtedly the master of the dead ball.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 am

nietoperz wrote:
The 80's. Man Utd's dominance began in 1992, and Liverpool were already a spent force by then.


True, but that's when I started watching it :P

At that time it was all about Liverpool and their history and we'd get hammered over the head about the Dalglish era.
User avatar

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:06 am

fieldy snuts wrote:
True, but that's when I started watching it :P

At that time it was all about Liverpool and their history and we'd get hammered over the head about the Dalglish era.


Yeah, some of us were United fans in the 1980s. Not fun, let me tell you.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GiveWarAChance, HNutz, Moortron, pastajoe, Stephen Day and 32 guests