Tuesday, January 23, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Blacklisted since 2012."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Soccer in general

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:43 pm

Chris wrote:Explain some things to me.

What's the deal with all the cups and championships?

Is there some sort of hierarchy of importance?

Or do they not have anything to so with one another?

Like the FA Cup, Champions League, Super Cup, etc.?

As someone who grew up with American sports its odd to see so many different championships that a team can compete for... I don't get it.

Just adding to what has already been said. The FA Cup is open is all teams currently playing in the first five levels of The FA's soccer pyramid. The winner gets an automatic qualification to the Champion's League. The League Cup is only open to teams in the Premier League the Football League Championship and the Football League's League One and Two. The winner qualifies for the Europa League, which isn't as prestigious as the Champion's League. Since there are fewer teams that participate and the prize for winning doesn't have the same prestige, the League Cup doesn't have the same prestige as the FA Cup.

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:45 pm

This sounds very complex. What are the five leagues or whatever?

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:46 pm

So for a premier League team, the Premier League championship and the FA Cup are most important?

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:02 pm

Chris wrote:So for a premier League team, the Premier League championship and the FA Cup are most important?

I'd say Premier League Championship, then Champion's League, then FA Cup. The top four teams in the Premier League all qualify for the following year's Champion's League, along with the FA Cup winner, where they face off against the best of the best of Europe's other leagues. If one of the top four teams also wins the FA Cup then there are four representatives in the Champion's league instead of five. The FA Cup is still very important, but if you're a team like Man Utd., who are almost certainly going to finish in the top four, it doesn't mean as much as it does to team that is likely to finish outside of those top four positions.

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Can't you freakin' euros have one championship and be done with it? :smt013

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Chris wrote:So for a premier League team, the Premier League championship and the FA Cup are most important?

Domestically it's as follows:

1. Barclays Premier League
2. FA Cup

3. Carling/Capital-One Cup

There's also the FA Community shield, the is just a charity match where the winners of the Premier League play against the winners of the FA Cup. This is basically a glorified friendly that ranks even below the Capital One Cup.

The FA cup itself has lost a ton of prestige. The top teams basically play all their reserves to give their top players time to rest for league and CL games and as a result you see smaller and midtable teams with something to prove play their asses off while the top teams basically have no passion for it. This goes 100 fold for the Capital One Cup.

Now to compare the Champions League, it can be argued that the CL is more prestigious to the PL, this is because you're playing the best teams of Europe and it's a lot more financially rewarding than the league.

But I personally believe that despite the prestige the League is the ultimate prize due to how competitive and grueling it is and that you're guaranteed to see match-ups against your rivals throughout a 38 match league campaign. Every year I'll see 2 matches against Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal for example. With the CL it's just the luck of the draw making it basic luck, especially in the so-called groups of death where top teams are crammed together and eliminated giving weaker teams a clear line towards the finals...that's actually how Liverpool won it in 2005.

The Leagues don't have that sort of luck. Sure luck is involved, but in 38 games there's a lot more chances for drama and things to develop leaving it open till the very end. Unless you play in the Spanish League and know 6 months early that Barca has no chance of losing the title :P

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Chris wrote:Can't you freakin' euros have one championship and be done with it? :smt013

Mo money mo problems.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:20 pm

Chris wrote:This sounds very complex. What are the five leagues or whatever?

Nieto already mentioned promotion and relegation. The bottom three teams in the Premier League get relegated to the Football League Championship and the top three teams of the Championship get promoted to the Premier League. The bottom three teams in the Championship get relegated to League One with the top three teams of that league moving up to the Championship, and so on and so forth down the pyramid.

The top five levels of the FA's football pyramid are as follows.

1. Premier League
2. Football League Championship
3. Football League League One
4. Football League League Two
5. Football Conference National

From the Football Conference the pyramid then breaks down into level 6 which consists of two leagues:

1. Football Conference North
2. Football Conference South

After this is level 7 consisting of three leagues

1. Northern Premier League
2. Southern Football League
3. Isthmian League

The pyramid then moves even further down from there. The last count that I've seen puts the total number of teams in the Football Association at 7000 spread across 21 different levels, with promotion and relegation happening between each level at the end of each season.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:27 pm

oh that's what he asked, sorry im too tired to read properly :oops:

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Oh, I knew about relegation. I like that. I think it'd be awesome if every sport had that. I just didn't know about the specifics of the different levels.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Chris wrote:Oh, I knew about relegation. I like that. I think it'd be awesome if every sport had that. I just didn't know about the specifics of the different levels.

Ah OK, I wasn't too sure, so i Figured I'd be as precise as I could.

I agree about relegation and promotion. It adds a certain element to the competition that I really like too. Over here in North America there are too many teams near the bottom that just coast to the end of the season. You can't do that if you're a bottom team in the Premier League.

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Chris wrote:This sounds very complex. What are the five leagues or whatever?

Conference (5th level) and below aren't full professional teams. It's guys who work construction jobs or whatever during the day and then play soccer part-time. You'll never hear anything about them.

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Being: Liverpool on FSC... good show.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 pm

City moved the adboards forward today so Stoke couldn't throw long. Sneaky bastards :lol:

Reminds me of when Milan played Arsenal in the UCL, they left the grass on the outside longer to make the wings slower. musing how ground tampering is within the rules.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 am

I imagine most clubs do things like that. At United during half time, they always wet the ground and sort out the divots of the end United are attacking and leave the rest. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook