Advertisement

Sooo... Rob Liefeld

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Sooo... Rob Liefeld

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:11 am

Ah, no forum is complete without a discussion on the man that was the epitome of the 90's.

Some argue he represented the worst trends of the 90's. Some say he is a genius, not to be recognized in his lifetime. Still others just love him for his fashion sense.

But what do you think of the father of EXTREME!!!, Rob Liefeld?

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Advertisement

investcomics
Birdman

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Sooo... Rob Liefeld

Postby investcomics » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:05 pm

I have to say, back in the day i loved Rob's work. I thought it was so edgey for the time. I also loved Jimmy V, Todd Mc, Erik Lar too. The thing i noticed is as i got older the more i realized how much I didn't understand his work as much. Out of all of the Image guys and up and comers at the time Rob's pencils seemed more "out there." I can look at Todd McFarlane's work today and some of it still holds up. The same with Jim Lee, Whilce Porticho (spelling - butchered his name!!), but not Rob or even Erik. I feel that their work never stood the test of time. I look back at some of those Cable X-Force covers and I'm like WOW but in a bad way. Same with some of Larsen's work. Dale Keown, Platt, Mcfarlane, Lee, these are some of the names I always remember and still admire today.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:27 pm

I just can't shake the feeling that Rob's work has been static.

I think he had awesome potential, but just stopped growing as an artist. It seems most of his poses now are straight on shots of his characters. There is rarely an identifiable light source, and more and more, there are no backgrounds.

He has left that stuff to colorists. I will always find his style to have energy, but I can't help but imagine what would have happened if he had more editorial control during the early parts of his career.

investcomics
Birdman

Postby investcomics » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:56 pm

Rob had a certain potential in my humble opinion. He had an artistic value that completely differed from everyone else at the time. That alone doesn't make him better by any means, but it did show that being "yourself" meant more than just following the norm. Like i said earlier, I look at his stuff today and I just don't get it. Back then it was fresh and innovative. I will give you that his pencils do give off an energy. I agree with that. I hate to sound like I'm downing the guy when I can't even draw a freaking good smiley face on paper. I really don't have any merit to stand on to criticize someone's artistic talent. In my opinion it's just not for me. Just like YU's work today. I'm not crazy about his style. Doesn't mean he sucks, it's just not for me.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:50 pm

I like Yu, but I liked him more when he first started out. I'm not really crazy about his non-inked stuff. Still, I would say that I'm a fan.

ErickCruz
Mad Hatter

Postby ErickCruz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:04 am

Wasn't there a Rob thread already?

Anyway you guys pretty much summed it up, he stopped growing as an artist. His figure work might've improved but that's about it.

For someone who enjoys watching movies like Rob you'd think he'd learn a few storytelling and cinematography techniques that he could apply to his work, but i think his lack of artistic ability impairs him from applying them. I will always bring up Steve McNiven's name when i say i have never seen someone pull off a dynamic talking heads scene like him, that's the true test for a storyteller there.

You could say (at least his fans do) that Robs action scenes look dynamic, like the Michael Bay of comic books, but Michael Bay movies are from start to finish pure eye candy, not Rob Liefeld drawn comics.
I AM GOD! er... BATFAN
AKA the Punk

[url=http://erickcruz.deviantart.com/]My artwork[/url]
[url=http://erick-cruz.webs.com/]MY cheap @$$ website[/url]

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:41 am

Lots of truth to the "not growing as an artist" bit. I like his work. I really do. At the same time I totally notice the flaws and they're becoming more and more apparent as the years go on. I liked him better inked.

What I like about Rob is the energy he brought. Not just with his art though there IS a lot of energy there. I liked his universe and just how crazy everything was. Not a lot of it was all planned out but when you look at Youngblood and the rest of the X-Treme universe comics, there's a lot of fun going on. Some of it is nonsense, but a lot of it is just good entertainment with not a lot of depth to it. Fun stuff that borrows a bit from early Marvel and a bit of DC thrown in for good measure.

It wasn't anything like Shakespeare but sometimes you don't want Shakespeare.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:14 am

Yes there was already a thread, probably more than one.

It was time for a new one.:p

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 am

I liked him better when he was 'swiping'. His panels were more dynamic back then. He tried different angles and such (since he was referencing them). Of course I don't consider it swiping, since I'm fairly certain Rob was only referencing and not tracing, which it totally accepted.

Now it seems that most of his shots are from the front poses. Once in a while he will throw in a bird's eye view, which I think he still has problems with, but at least it's a different angle.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:17 pm

Honestly, I just find it suprising that he hasn't gotten better. You really have to be trying hard not to improve your art while still drawing all the time. Really, anyone who draws knows the more you do it the better you get. You may evolve to the point where your "style" is no longer interesting to people, but the fact is pretty much everyone who draws keeps evolving.

So why hasn't Rob? It just doesn't seem natural.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Man, I miss the Byrne/Liefeld thread on the Rama.:(

That had the potential to be epic.:)

fallentaco
SUSHI FISH

Postby fallentaco » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:22 pm

I agree that he just kinda stopped growing as an artist.
Back in the days of swiping I liked his work, but as of late it is just sad and dated...
b]It was Stamford all over again only this time Nitro was the edge of Cap’s shield.[/b]-Joe Q

Read Blue Beetle, Manhunter and DMZ!!!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Here are some of the new Killraven pages Rob posted.

investcomics
Birdman

Postby investcomics » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:24 pm

hmmm.......still not understanding his style. I hate to say that because I actually like the guy, but I just don't get it IMO. Sorry if I'm offending anyone.

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Doc Jon » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

It's become such a hot topic. If you say you don't like it, or you crit it, you're a hater.

I guess it's because he's been bashed so much over the years.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum