Thursday, May 5, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "At least we're not The Comics Reporter!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Spectacular Spider-Man the Animated Series

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

AaronW

Rain Partier

Postby AaronW » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:17 am

chap22 wrote:i'll go ahead and say it right now...it's not only the best Spidey cartoon ever, it is as good, if not better, than the very best of the DC Timm-verse.

scoff if you like, but it's true.


:roll:
User avatar

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 am

Oh, DIS!!!
User avatar

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:36 am

Disagree about the Timm-verse thing. I do agree however agree that it is the best Spidey cartoon ever. Right up there as the maybe the best Marvel cartoon period. The only thing close IMHO was X-Men: Evolution.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:47 am

kingofcities wrote:Disagree about the Timm-verse thing. I do agree however agree that it is the best Spidey cartoon ever. Right up there as the maybe the best Marvel cartoon period. The only thing close IMHO was X-Men: Evolution.

bah. it's worlds better than Evolution. i think you guys are greatly discounting the amount of craft that has gon into this little show. they've basically triued to adapt what is inarguably one of the 2 or 3 greatest comic runs of all time, update it, add the best bits of later Spidey stuff while still keeping it firmly set in the high school era, mix running soap subplots and make the action pop every ep, plus be funny, etc etc. BTAS never had running subplots. it never really tried to mix in the soap aspects. and it din't have to be legitimately funny (unless the joker showed up). same with Superman really (yeah, Darkseid was foreshadowed a bit, but it wasn't really a perpetually-running thing). JL became that way by the time Cadmus started, but even then it wasn't subplots so much as it was just building off previous stories and making it tie together.

this is Spidey's first season, and already the writing is crisp, the updates logical, and the subplots are always there but never overpower the individual episode. i don't think it's better than JLU, i don't think it's better (yet) than the very best episodes of BTAS, but it's just as good. and i think it's better than most of STAS and a good bit of the later Batman and early JL episodes/seasons as well. it's just a fantastic cartoon.
User avatar

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 am

I will say better than X-Men evolution but not as good as the Timm verse.

The Juan Percenter

Rain Partier

Postby The Juan Percenter » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 am

SSM is in a whole different league than XM:E. SSM manages to capture all the classic stories during Spidey's "Golden Era (IMO)" and make it feel very organic. The only thing that bothers me is the creepy pupils and that is a huge nitpick. Look at the motion of SSM and compare it to the 90s cartoon. SSM makes that Spider-Man look like he belongs in a nursing home.
User avatar

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:04 am

chap22 wrote:bah. it's worlds better than Evolution. i think you guys are greatly discounting the amount of craft that has gon into this little show. they've basically triued to adapt what is inarguably one of the 2 or 3 greatest comic runs of all time, update it, add the best bits of later Spidey stuff while still keeping it firmly set in the high school era, mix running soap subplots and make the action pop every ep, plus be funny, etc etc. BTAS never had running subplots. it never really tried to mix in the soap aspects. and it din't have to be legitimately funny (unless the joker showed up). same with Superman really (yeah, Darkseid was foreshadowed a bit, but it wasn't really a perpetually-running thing). JL became that way by the time Cadmus started, but even then it wasn't subplots so much as it was just building off previous stories and making it tie together.

this is Spidey's first season, and already the writing is crisp, the updates logical, and the subplots are always there but never overpower the individual episode. i don't think it's better than JLU, i don't think it's better (yet) than the very best episodes of BTAS, but it's just as good. and i think it's better than most of STAS and a good bit of the later Batman and early JL episodes/seasons as well. it's just a fantastic cartoon.


I'm just talking about animation quality. I've only seen one episode of Spectacular. And even all the storytelling points you make are subjective. There's nothing that says a long story arc is better than a done-in-one episode.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:31 am

kingofcities wrote:I'm just talking about animation quality. I've only seen one episode of Spectacular. And even all the storytelling points you make are subjective. There's nothing that says a long story arc is better than a done-in-one episode.

true, there's not, but that's not what i'm arguing either. Cadmus was a long story arc; SSM is a lot of individual episodes. they just happen to also include running subplots, something none of the Timm stuff really did. plus they mix humor as well. ask anybody, writing good comedy's harder than writing anything else.

i'm not arguing that SSM is better than all of Timm's stuff, and i'm certainly not arguing that the Timm-DCu is bad or lacking in any way. you'll be HARD-pressed to find a bigger fan of BTAS, STAS, and the whole run of JL than me. all i'm saying is that from astorytelling standpoint, from a craft standpoint, SSM is just as exceptional.


and i'll give you that the character animation is better in the Timm-verse, but the action scenes in SM? wowzers. that's some great stuff.
User avatar

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:03 pm

milton73 wrote:The only thing that bothers me is the creepy pupils and that is a huge nitpick.
I <3 creepy pupils

What bothers me are the odd lines (musculature?) the few times Pete has his shirt off. He looks like Pinocchio or something.
User avatar

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 pm

chap22 wrote: but the action scenes in SM? wowzers. that's some great stuff.


The one I saw was the Shocker episode and it was kick-ass! After watching the final fight scene for the first time I thought man, he'd make a killer live-action villain for one of the movies.
User avatar

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:19 pm

kingofcities wrote:The one I saw was the Shocker episode and it was kick-ass! After watching the final fight scene for the first time I thought man, he'd make a killer live-action villain for one of the movies.
Yeah, I never quite understood how The Shocker was that different from Electro in the comics, but the way they've portrayed him in the cartoon makes their abilities easily distinguishable.
User avatar

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:20 pm

his shirt tag annoys me.

he also always wears the same shirt.
User avatar

kingofcities

dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:27 pm

cncoyle wrote:Yeah, I never quite understood how The Shocker was that different from Electro in the comics, but the way they've portrayed him in the cartoon makes their abilities easily distinguishable.


That was my thought EXACTLY. The cartoon was very visually exciting and unique. I think that could translate well to the big screen.
User avatar

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:56 pm

chap22 wrote:i'll go ahead and say it right now...it's not only the best Spidey cartoon ever, it is as good, if not better, than the very best of the DC Timm-verse.

scoff if you like, but it's true.
Consider me scoffed.

It's a great show but it's not better than JLA Unlimited or Justice League.

That's crazy talk, counselor.
User avatar

Jack Burton

biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:05 pm

CountD wrote:his shirt tag annoys me.

he also always wears the same shirt.


It's animation they always wear the same thing to save time and money. That's why Bruce Wayne always work that brown suit in BTAS and Homer Simpson always sports a white shirt and blue pants.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arkanian, BarrySagittarius, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Flamebird, Glacier16, Herald, Matatronic, Schlemmer, Spacedog, SporkBot and 37 guests