Saturday, June 23, 2018 • Midnight Edition • "We go in so you don't have to."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Supergirl Season Three

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:37 am

Chessack wrote:
It's a good analogy but this is season 3 so we're up to Superman III, right? Next season would be the Superman Returns version. Then, if it keeps going after that, Man of Steel.

No, Season 1 would represent Superman 1 and 2 (the Donner movies)
Season 2 would represent Superman 3 and 4 (the Lester movies)
And maybe Season 3 represents Man of Steel?

(Yeah, it's not 100% perfect. Not sure where Superman Returns falls on here, for example).

Or maybe Season 1 represents Superman 1 and 2.
Season 2 represents Superman 3.
And Season 3 represents Superman 4?

I dunno.

Rebirth NoctourneM

Rain Partier

Postby Rebirth NoctourneM » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 pm

HNutz wrote:
No, Season 1 would represent Superman 1 and 2 (the Donner movies)
Season 2 would represent Superman 3 and 4 (the Lester movies)
And maybe Season 3 represents Man of Steel?

(Yeah, it's not 100% perfect. Not sure where Superman Returns falls on here, for example).

Or maybe Season 1 represents Superman 1 and 2.

I dunno.

I personally never thought I was going to be looking forward to the jimmy Olsen/Superhero side plot but sometimes it is a refreshing break from everything else

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:
I personally never thought I was going to be looking forward to the jimmy Olsen/Superhero side plot but sometimes it is a refreshing break from everything else

Have you tried pounding nails into your hand while watching? It helps...

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:32 pm

HNutz wrote:Or maybe Season 1 represents Superman 1 and 2.

Oh Rao. Superman IV.

I had done the best I could to block that out of my mind and you had to make me remember it.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Rebirth NoctourneM wrote:I personally never thought I was going to be looking forward to the jimmy Olsen/Superhero side plot but sometimes it is a refreshing break from everything else

Mehcad Brooks, I've decided, is not a good dramatic actor but he is a fairly good comedian. (He plays the straight man really well -- which actually is not easy to do.) The Jimmy-Winn team comedy that happens *sometimes* on the show can be quite enjoyable. If they did more of that instead of having him be serious and dramatic (which he does NOT do very well) I think the Jimmy role would be more worth watching.

But yeah, because of the team comedy aspect between Jimmy and Winn, I find myself not minding that part as much as I had thought. (I still hate him as Guardian but whatever.)

A friend of mine does comic review podcasts and he wanted to start reviewing the TV show. We are going back starting from the pilot. We both re-watched that and the 2nd episode of season 1 and reviewed it the other night, and we said the same thing: it's like we're watching a totally different show. I got done with the pilot and said "THAT is the show I want to watch. Why can't I watch THAT one?"

Because what they have going on now is NOTHING like it. The only similarity is Benoist. She plays Supergirl the same way week in, week out (no matter how bad the dialogue). But everything else, they have completely effed up.

Flamebird

rubber spoon

Postby Flamebird » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:28 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
There is nothing dumber than Iris being leader.

Iris actually being Flash? :shock:

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Chessack wrote:
A friend of mine does comic review podcasts and he wanted to start reviewing the TV show. We are going back starting from the pilot. We both re-watched that and the 2nd episode of season 1 and reviewed it the other night, and we said the same thing: it's like we're watching a totally different show. I got done with the pilot and said "THAT is the show I want to watch. Why can't I watch THAT one?"

Because what they have going on now is NOTHING like it. The only similarity is Benoist. She plays Supergirl the same way week in, week out (no matter how bad the dialogue). But everything else, they have completely effed up.

You mean how Kara had her own life outside of the DEO and being Supergirl, with friends who didn't have superpowers/special weapons and family that she could text when she needed to talk?

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:09 pm

HNutz wrote:
You mean how Kara had her own life outside of the DEO and being Supergirl, with friends who didn't have superpowers/special weapons and family that she could text when she needed to talk?

Honestly, I'd prefer the DEO didn't figure into the story at all, or only in a minor way. I'd rather SG handled things herself, and her relationships balanced between one or maybe two friends at the most who know about her---maybe none apart from Clark and her adoptive family, and others who don't. Maybe save the DEO as an on-again off-again helper/antagonist that doesn't know who she is when she's not being SG either. And more of her cousin. And yeah, give her that job, or alternately, have her as a student.

As it is, there's nothing special about Supergirl; she's just the one among many with the powers. And J'ohn has powers too. Having Lena or Winn super science her way to victory cheapens the character.

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:35 pm

achilles wrote:
Honestly, I'd prefer the DEO didn't figure into the story at all, or only in a minor way. I'd rather SG handled things herself, and her relationships balanced between one or maybe two friends at the most who know about her---maybe none apart from Clark and her adoptive family, and others who don't. Maybe save the DEO as an on-again off-again helper/antagonist that doesn't know who she is when she's not being SG either. And more of her cousin. And yeah, give her that job, or alternately, have her as a student.

As it is, there's nothing special about Supergirl; she's just the one among many with the powers. And J'ohn has powers too. Having Lena or Winn super science her way to victory cheapens the character.

Yeah, they had her in a good spot at the end of Season One.

Aside from her "going away party", has Kara spent ANY real time at CatCo? Have they shown her working on any pieces (not counting "interviews with Supergirl"... Wait, has she even done THAT lately?) or has her journalistic output become about the same as Iris's?

Kara was trying to balance being Supergirl, her new career in the big city and having her own life with her family and friends.

Now, she practically lives at the DEO, all her friends know her secret (or almost all, if you don't think Lena knows), she's seemingly forgotten about her family (Clark), she doesn't seem to work at CatCo anymore, etc.

Kara used to be the only one with powers. Even when we found out about J'onn, even when Superman guest-starred, it was still Kara's show.

This season, we've had 2 Martian Manhunters, a Daxamite (with powers similar to a Kryptonian), Saturn Girl, Brainiac and Guardian fighting a... prolonged battle against Reign, 3 other Kryptonian Worldkillers and 3 "Dark Kryptonians".

Oh, and how long was Kara actually in the last episode? 5-ish minutes?

It's come a long way.
Just not in a good direction.

Chessack

Great Scott!!!

Postby Chessack » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I agree with all the stuff you guys are saying. I have thought to myself the show seems like a strange version of Justice League now, with all the other powered people on it. As you say J'onn was fine, especially because he had to mostly stay hidden. But now there are just too many people roughly as powerful as Supergirl. And what could still have made the show special -- all the secret ID stuff, CatCo stuff, etc, is not there either.

Shame. It was a good show the first year.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Chessack wrote:I agree with all the stuff you guys are saying. I have thought to myself the show seems like a strange version of Justice League now, with all the other powered people on it. As you say J'onn was fine, especially because he had to mostly stay hidden. But now there are just too many people roughly as powerful as Supergirl. And what could still have made the show special -- all the secret ID stuff, CatCo stuff, etc, is not there either.

Shame. It was a good show the first year.

No it wasn’t. It was a better show then than now, but that doesn’t mean it was good.

StrongStyleFiction

cheese

Postby StrongStyleFiction » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:17 pm

chap22 wrote:
No it wasn’t. It was a better show then than now, but that doesn’t mean it was good.

I agree. I think in its first season, Supergirl was deeply flawed show with some really good bits in it that could have been turned into a good show if they maximized the elements that worked. But when they made the switch to CW, the writers weren't constrained by a more risk-averse CBS any more and just went fucking nuts with the politics and the side characters eating up more and more screentime.

Also, a HUGE problem for me was the introduction of the idea that the world was already filled with aliens. As soon as I saw that alien bar it was like..."well, Supergirl isn't special anymore." And the way it was introduced and all of that was just...I don't know. Not good.

Honestly, I think it would have been better to make the show an alternate take where Superman never came to Earth and it was just Supergirl. The tragedy is that I think of all the CW shows, Supergirl is the most fixable. But that's not going to happen because the writers honestly think they are producing great television. They double down on the stuff that isn't working and marginalizing everything that did. Also, making Jimmy Olsen cool and then a superhero was just bad.

The show had some bad ideas right off the bat, but it did have some things that genuinely worked. Supergirl should be the best show, it should be a great one. But it isn't and that's a real shame.

Bianco

phrase IV

Postby Bianco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 pm

But alot of these other heroes are very depowered in comparison to the comic book alternates. So they pretty much take up space and screen time waiting for Supergirl to save them, which is their only purpose for being on the show

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 am

Bianco wrote:But alot of these other heroes are very depowered in comparison to the comic book alternates. So they pretty much take up space and screen time waiting for Supergirl to save them, which is their only purpose for being on the show

True, Daxamites for example in the comics range from about as powerful as Kryptonians to more powerful depending on the era. Now, considering Superman is DC's premiere hero, (yeah, you can argue Batman, but go with it), I'd say that was a bad move, but still, they should be a lot closer to Kryptonians than this show depicts.

But then Supergirl herself is a LOT less powerful than Kryptonians in the comics. Hell, even Cavill's Superman in the movies is considerably less powerful than any of the comic book Kryptonians. Those guys and gals are all planet moving types who can fly in space....even to other star systems under their own power.

Bianco

phrase IV

Postby Bianco » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 am

achilles wrote:
True, Daxamites for example in the comics range from about as powerful as Kryptonians to more powerful depending on the era. Now, considering Superman is DC's premiere hero, (yeah, you can argue Batman, but go with it), I'd say that was a bad move, but still, they should be a lot closer to Kryptonians than this show depicts.

But then Supergirl herself is a LOT less powerful than Kryptonians in the comics. Hell, even Cavill's Superman in the movies is considerably less powerful than any of the comic book Kryptonians. Those guys and gals are all planet moving types who can fly in space....even to other star systems under their own power.

Yes, from golden age up to modern times certain charcters have seen a yoyo effect on their powers. Unless I'm wrong i don't remember a version of J'onn thats as depowered as this version. Every time they win a fight oh look J'onn's down. Like he's this shows version of Mr. Terrific, or Laural's Canary

leave a comment with facebook