Advertisement

Swedish Wiretapping law - Backlash

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Swedish Wiretapping law - Backlash

Postby habitual » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:12 pm

Was just reading about the new law in Sweden that basically gives the authorities there to engage in systematic warrantless wiretapping of both emails and phone calls. Google is pulling business out of the area and according to the article.

Torrentfreak is saying that the impetus behind the law is to spy on the Russians, as about 80% of thier internet traffic flows through pipes in Sweden.

http://torrentfreak.com/swedes-massively-protest-wiretap-law-080707/

Perhaps Nieto can add something since he's living there now.

Hab

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:28 pm

There's a huge shitstorm here about it - it is HUGELY unpopular. The opposition (who will win the next election, by the way) have already said that they will abolish it when elected.

Crump
Hater

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Crump » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:08 am

Whoa, this is crazy. I didn't think there'd be such an uproar. Very interesting to watch this unfold.
Goat

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:13 am

This is not at all the kind of legislation that the Swedes are apt to get behind. As I say, the current Government knows its going to lose the next election anyway (every ten to fifteen years the Social Democrats are voted out as they were a couple of years back, then the Swedish people vote them back in sharpish: this is a resolutely left wing country at heart) so is going for broke with stuff like this anyway.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:30 am

Very good for Sweden. I wish people in our country had a fraction of that passion for freedom and privacy.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:24 am

Thunderstorm wrote:Very good for Sweden. I wish people in our country had a fraction of that passion for freedom and privacy.

You would think they would. Considering this quote from one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:38 am

DeadFett wrote:You would think they would. Considering this quote from one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I couldn't agree more. They don't deserve it at all. Hopefully this changes, but I don't see it happening.

diana_fan

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:32 am

Thunderstorm wrote:Very good for Sweden. I wish people in our country had a fraction of that passion for freedom and privacy.

Tell me about it.

We just sit back, and say "Fuck me harder, please."

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:10 am

diana_fan wrote:Tell me about it.

We just sit back, and say "Fuck me harder, please."

"And we will pay for the privilege" :roll: :(

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:11 am

DeadFett wrote:You would think they would. Considering this quote from one of our founding fathers, Benjamin Franklin...

He didn't actually say it.

But you note "essential:

and "little temporary"

which are debatable terms.

Spidey-Man

Postby Spidey-Man » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:13 am

Thunderstorm wrote:I couldn't agree more. They don't deserve it at all. Hopefully this changes, but I don't see it happening.

It's not changing. Despite a democratic congress, a few months left to his presidency, a low approval rating, Bush got everything he wanted in the wiretapping bill.

He's been the most effective "lame duck" president since Lyndon Johnson at getting what he wanted in the last months of his presidency.

diana_fan

Postby diana_fan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:17 am

Spiderrob wrote:It's not changing. Despite a democratic congress, a few months left to his presidency, a low approval rating, Bush got everything he wanted in the wiretapping bill.

He's been the most effective "lame duck" president since Lyndon Johnson at getting what he wanted in the last months of his presidency.

Because there's no fear in Congress.

They are not afraid, and thus they do all sorts of stuff.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Thunderstorm » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:19 am

Spiderrob wrote:It's not changing. Despite a democratic congress, a few months left to his presidency, a low approval rating, Bush got everything he wanted in the wiretapping bill.

As long as people continue to see these people as 'Democrats' and 'Republicans' and believe there's a difference, and trust their TV to tell them the truth, we'll continue to be screwed. Period.

I said way back those Democrats wouldn't change a damn thing, and they haven't. People are being played, seriously. It's their own fault for not looking closer at these people beyond what O'Reilly and Olberman tell them to think.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:46 am

Why would Sweden want to spy on Russia? :?

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:47 am

MoneyMelon wrote:Why would Sweden want to spy on Russia? :?

I would suggest that it has more to do with dodgy Russian IP addresses than anything else...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum