Thursday, August 25, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Manufacturing outrage since 2006."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

My Take On Agents Of SHIELD

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm

john lewis hawk wrote:Agents of W.A.L.K.I.N.G. D.E.A.D.
Agents of J.O.N. H.A.M.M.
Agents of N.A.M.B.L.A.
Agents of T.H.E. D.A.I.L.Y. S.H.O.W. w.i.t.h. J.O.N. S.T.E.W.A.R.T.
Agents of S.H.A.R.K. T.A.N.K.


LOL. :-D :-D :-D
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Lord Simian wrote:

That is possibly the best single idea for this show I've seen in ANY thread.

8)

I really think it's a strong possibility when they start casting for the show that we'll get teases through SHIELD, especially with how street level all those characters are.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Grayson wrote:
That's not a very good point to make and besides that, at least Draco is trying to be constructive about his criticism.


Seeing as how you have some good ideas yourself, feel free to share them here if you want.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 pm

doombug wrote: 8)

I really think it's a strong possibility when they start casting for the show that we'll get teases through SHIELD, especially with how street level all those characters are.


Another good idea.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Draco x wrote:Seeing as how you have some good ideas yourself, feel free to share them here if you want.


I shared a few of my ideas in the main Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. thread but I have been surprised by how good the past 3 episodes have been. Now, I am a little more comfortable with the idea of just letting things run their course to see how they play out but maybe I'll come up with something later. :smt102
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Grayson wrote:
That's not a very good point to make and besides that, at least Draco is trying to be constructive about his criticism.


Apparently not constructive enough to you that you'll discuss said criticism -- which is the whole reason he created the thread -- instead of the fact that he hasn't actually seen the show. You're missing both his point and mine.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Herald wrote:
Apparently not constructive enough to you that you'll discuss said criticism -- which is the whole reason he created the thread -- instead of the fact that he hasn't actually seen the show. You're missing both his point and mine.


Hey, I would like to hear some ideas you have as well, Herald. I appreciate the fact that you're not afraid to speak your mind like myself so if you have some input to share feel free.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Draco x wrote:
The connection is basically that the idea for the original GI Joe cartoon was supposed to the SHIELD agents fighting against Hydra, which Larry Hama had proposed to Marvel. However, Marvel rejected the idea so he renamed the concept GI Joe and Hydra got reworked as Cobra.


In all fairness, he's right about that. Point: Draco.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Grayson wrote:
I shared a few of my ideas in the main Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. thread but I have been surprised by how good the past 3 episodes have been. Now, I am a little more comfortable with the idea of just letting things run their course to see how they play out but maybe I'll come up with something later. :smt102


Fair point. When you come up with something feel free to post the ideas here.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:49 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
In all fairness, he's right about that. Point: Draco.


Thanks. :D :D :D
User avatar

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:08 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
In all fairness, he's right about that. Point: Draco.

Gi Joe sucks. Point: Hawk.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

doombug wrote:Ways to improve the actual show:

Have Wards parentage to be revealed to be connected to one of the Howling Commando's. It's obvious that someone he is related to is known in the movieverse from what was teased early on so that would make sense.

Skye's real name is Jessica Drew, would react why most men automatically treat her as if they want to protect or fall in love with her as well as just why Shield would want to keep her past a mystery.

DO NOT MAKE COULSON AN LMD - Because that above all else really doesn't serve anything other than fanboys going "I told you so"

Also in season 2, help prepare and tease the netflix shows to get people prepared. Have Murdock appear in a court room at one point, have Coulson mention Jones was originally a possible SHIELD recruit.


I'll play, too.

1) Look at shows with a similar setup (FRINGE, Torchwood, Alias, etc) and try to figure out what made them work. Then do it.

2) SHIELD is the MCU's IMF team (maybe with a little G.I.Joe thrown in). Lets give them missions that wouldn't go to the Avengers. Maybe they have to break a potential witness out of a Russian gulag (yes, like Arrow), investigate odd situations, steal/destroy prototypical weapons, etc. Yes, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing they're doing that.

3) Continue world-building. Maybe Luke Cage or Daredevil/Matt Murdock cameos before the Netflix series starts. Maybe Coulson alludes to other agents besides Romanoff & Barton. Maybe a Brood or some other alien is loose and taking over the crew.

4) Use what's already been built. We've seen a little of this with the alien artifacts after the Avengers movie. Keep on doing this. HYDRA was established in the Captain America movie. Several companies have been established in the Iron Man movies. Wakanda was shown in a map in the Hulk movie.

Maybe someone has found a HYDRA chemical weapon and plans to sell it to the highest bidder. Maybe Hammer Industries is attempting to weaponize the alien technology found after the invasion. Maybe an artifact is found (and later on we learn that it's an Infinity Gem) and SHIELD has to lock it up/do something with it. Or SHIELD has to protect a shipment of vibranium coming from Wakanda. I dunno.

5) Give some of them ties to established MU characters. Maybe Skye was born "Jessica Drew" or maybe Ward is the son/brother/something of Tony Masters (Taskmaster) or Nick Fury or something.

6) Give the villains a face. One of the great things behind Alias was the bad guys, Sloan & Sark. Buffy brought back recurring villains like Dru & Spike. Walternate and Fauxlivia were great baddies in FRINGE and Ben Linus was awesome as the leader of the Others. Maybe we're dealing with the Scientist Supreme of HYDRA, Madame Viper, Baron Strucker or Zemo. Or there's recurring threats to SHIELD/enemy agents, like the YB Black Widow, Ghost, Spymaster, Taskmaster, etc.

I'm NOT saying all of these characters. But one face for the big bad and one or two recurring enemy agents.

7) The status quo is not safe. Or (aside from Coulson, probably), no one should feel safe. We shouldn't be bored, knowing that everyone's going to make it out of every mission without a scratch. Maybe someone gets hurt and they're actually laid up and out of action for a few episodes. Or maybe someone breaks an arm and has their arm in a cast for awhile. Or maybe someone actually dies, gets pregnant, defects, gets left behind (for an episode or two), is a mole/traitor (NOT Skye, since we would all see it coming), gets possessed by an ancient entity, etc.

You remember the end of that TNG episode where Picard is turned into "Locutus of Borg"? Yeah, talk about unexpected! I don't want to watch an episode and "call" everything that's about to happen.

8) Characterization - Get us to care about and actually LIKE these guys (which, to be fair, these last 2 episodes made a lot of progress here). And to worry about them.


Yeah, I think that about it for me.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:16 pm

I do think that we may see some more cameos from bigger and more well known SHIELD agents depending on spin off potential/interest.

I'd still love to see Mockingbird, Jimmy Wong, Quartermain and maybe a wildcard like Amadeus Cho.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:19 pm

HNutz wrote:
I'll play, too.

1) Look at shows with a similar setup (FRINGE, Torchwood, Alias, etc) and try to figure out what made them work. Then do it.

2) SHIELD is the MCU's IMF team (maybe with a little G.I.Joe thrown in). Lets give them missions that wouldn't go to the Avengers. Maybe they have to break a potential witness out of a Russian gulag (yes, like Arrow), investigate odd situations, steal/destroy prototypical weapons, etc. Yes, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing they're doing that.

3) Continue world-building. Maybe Luke Cage or Daredevil/Matt Murdock cameos before the Netflix series starts. Maybe Coulson alludes to other agents besides Romanoff & Barton. Maybe a Brood or some other alien is loose and taking over the crew.

4) Use what's already been built. We've seen a little of this with the alien artifacts after the Avengers movie. Keep on doing this. HYDRA was established in the Captain America movie. Several companies have been established in the Iron Man movies. Wakanda was shown in a map in the Hulk movie.

Maybe someone has found a HYDRA chemical weapon and plans to sell it to the highest bidder. Maybe Hammer Industries is attempting to weaponize the alien technology found after the invasion. Maybe an artifact is found (and later on we learn that it's an Infinity Gem) and SHIELD has to lock it up/do something with it. Or SHIELD has to protect a shipment of vibranium coming from Wakanda. I dunno.

5) Give some of them ties to established MU characters. Maybe Skye was born "Jessica Drew" or maybe Ward is the son/brother/something of Tony Masters (Taskmaster) or Nick Fury or something.

6) Give the villains a face. One of the great things behind Alias was the bad guys, Sloan & Sark. Buffy brought back recurring villains like Dru & Spike. Walternate and Fauxlivia were great baddies in FRINGE and Ben Linus was awesome as the leader of the Others. Maybe we're dealing with the Scientist Supreme of HYDRA, Madame Viper, Baron Strucker or Zemo. Or there's recurring threats to SHIELD/enemy agents, like the YB Black Widow, Ghost, Spymaster, Taskmaster, etc.

I'm NOT saying all of these characters. But one face for the big bad and one or two recurring enemy agents.

7) The status quo is not safe. Or (aside from Coulson, probably), no one should feel safe. We shouldn't be bored, knowing that everyone's going to make it out of every mission without a scratch. Maybe someone gets hurt and they're actually laid up and out of action for a few episodes. Or maybe someone breaks an arm and has their arm in a cast for awhile. Or maybe someone actually dies, gets pregnant, defects, gets left behind (for an episode or two), is a mole/traitor (NOT Skye, since we would all see it coming), gets possessed by an ancient entity, etc.

You remember the end of that TNG episode where Picard is turned into "Locutus of Borg"? Yeah, talk about unexpected! I don't want to watch an episode and "call" everything that's about to happen.

8) Characterization - Get us to care about and actually LIKE these guys (which, to be fair, these last 2 episodes made a lot of progress here). And to worry about them.


Yeah, I think that about it for me.

That big bad idea is brilliant, we're only 7 episodes in so there's a good chance we'll finally have a big reveal at the mid season finale. Or at least I hope so.
User avatar

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:25 pm

doombug wrote:That big bad idea is brilliant, we're only 7 episodes in so there's a good chance we'll finally have a big reveal at the mid season finale. Or at least I hope so.


Thanks, man! 8)

Obviously, I like a lot of your ideas, too.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Glacier16, Google [Bot], Pizza Dog and 34 guests