Advertisement

The 5th Week of the 2008 College Football Season

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:30 pm

GratefulFred wrote:College football rankings are pretty dumb.

And yet people try to defend this system and say the BCS works. :roll:

All they need to do is set up a committee, like the one that picks the seedings in the March Madness tournament, and have them review all the games each week and come out with a ranking on Wednesday of each week starting in the first week of October. Have every conference represented and have them watch every game that could possibly have an effect on the rankings and then debate who deserves which spot. If you did that you could have a legit ranking system for the BCS to use.

Advertisement

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby GratefulFred » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:36 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:And yet people try to defend this system and say the BCS works. :roll:

All they need to do is set up a committee, like the one that picks the seedings in the March Madness tournament, and have them review all the games each week and come out with a ranking on Wednesday of each week starting in the first week of October. Have every conference represented and have them watch every game that could possibly have an effect on the rankings and then debate who deserves which spot. If you did that you could have a legit ranking system for the BCS to use.

Yeah. The current polls suck because most writers on the east coast are working/sleeping during west coast games and most writers on the west coast are prepping for the games they're covering while the east coast teams play.
And don't get me started on the coaches poll.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:40 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Yeah. The current polls suck because most writers on the east coast are working/sleeping during west coast games and most writers on the west coast are prepping for the games they're covering while the east coast teams play.
And don't get me started on the coaches poll.

And they have to turn in the ballots first thing Sunday morning. Even if they did everything in their power, they would not be physically capable of watching all the games of teams in the top 30 in that short an amount of time. This is OK in basketball or baseball, where the rankings really mean nothing thanks to the committees that pick the postseason lineups, but the fact that the National Championship is decided based on rankings that are so flawed is a real problem, and yet you hardly ever hear the media talk about the problems with the AP poll. It's ridiculous.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:49 pm

Do the basketball polls come out every week?
I just got into college basketball when Bruce Pearl came to town in 2005.

Fenway
cheese

Title: Girl Next Door

Postby Fenway » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Do the basketball polls come out every week?

Hell if I know. I'm not sure.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 pm

GratefulFred wrote:Do the basketball polls come out every week?

They do, but no one really cares a whole lot about them. I mean teams like to be ranked or ranked high, and they hate to drop out, but no one gets really upset or anything about them.

The RPI ratings are much more important, but even those are only used as a general guide by the people setting the postseason seeding and selecting who's in and who's out.

GratefulFred
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby GratefulFred » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Fenway wrote:Hell if I know. I'm not sure.

I can't wait for b-ball season.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:25 am

rdrsfn82 wrote:All they need to do is set up a committee, like the one that picks the seedings in the March Madness tournament, and have them review all the games each week and come out with a ranking on Wednesday of each week starting in the first week of October. Have every conference represented and have them watch every game that could possibly have an effect on the rankings and then debate who deserves which spot. If you did that you could have a legit ranking system for the BCS to use.

even if you did that, you'd probably have Vandy ranked about where they are. because they're Vandy. NOBODY really believes they can keep this up. they haven't had a winning season, or even a .500 season, since 1982. they haven't won a bowl game since 1955.

this year they've beaten approximately one "good" team (Auburn) who ain't that good (and is TERRIBLE offensively), their two biggest wins were at home, their other 3 wins were against two cupcakes and an Ole Miss team that, despite beating Florida, one should remember that's their only SEC win in the last 20 months.

they're 12th in the SEC in total offense. 10th in total defense. 7th in scoring offense and scoring defense. they've thrown for 100 yards in only 1 of 5 games. they're disciplined, and fundamentally sound in all 3 phases, and they're winning the turnover battle in a big way, but that basically amounts to smoke and mirrors. they haven't faced a good offensive team yet (and certainly won't this week either :cry: ), or played a truly tough road game. and as well as they played against a bad Auburn team, they still only won thanks to a missed extra point.

don't get me wrong, they're a solid football team. and 3-0 in the SEC, 5-0 overall, deserves a good ranking. but top 10? nope. ahead of Florida or OSU? arguable, but i still say nope. i think they're right about where they belong.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:04 am

chap22 wrote:ahead of Florida or OSU? arguable, but i still say nope. i think they're right about where they belong.

Chap siding with OSU against an SEC team?!

:shock:

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:04 pm

Chris wrote:Chap siding with OSU against an SEC team?!

:shock:

it's Vandy. they barely count. ;-)

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 pm

chap22 wrote:even if you did that, you'd probably have Vandy ranked about where they are. because they're Vandy. NOBODY really believes they can keep this up. they haven't had a winning season, or even a .500 season, since 1982. they haven't won a bowl game since 1955.

this year they've beaten approximately one "good" team (Auburn) who ain't that good (and is TERRIBLE offensively), their two biggest wins were at home, their other 3 wins were against two cupcakes and an Ole Miss team that, despite beating Florida, one should remember that's their only SEC win in the last 20 months.

they're 12th in the SEC in total offense. 10th in total defense. 7th in scoring offense and scoring defense. they've thrown for 100 yards in only 1 of 5 games. they're disciplined, and fundamentally sound in all 3 phases, and they're winning the turnover battle in a big way, but that basically amounts to smoke and mirrors. they haven't faced a good offensive team yet (and certainly won't this week either :cry: ), or played a truly tough road game. and as well as they played against a bad Auburn team, they still only won thanks to a missed extra point.

don't get me wrong, they're a solid football team. and 3-0 in the SEC, 5-0 overall, deserves a good ranking. but top 10? nope. ahead of Florida or OSU? arguable, but i still say nope. i think they're right about where they belong.

I still think you are talking too much about previous years and not really focusing on this season. Ignoring the other stuff from past years, as you should, you have a team that's 3-0 in the SEC and has a win over Auburn, which is better than any win by OSU or Florida, and is 5-0 overall. They have earned a higher ranking based on this year's play.

I still think it would be better for there to be a committee that looks at games closely and isn't forced to come up with ranking 8-10 hours after the last games are played and that aren't journalists or coaches, but instead people who are paid to watch all the games and judge them.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:43 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I still think you are talking too much about previous years and not really focusing on this season. Ignoring the other stuff from past years, as you should, you have a team that's 3-0 in the SEC and has a win over Auburn, which is better than any win by OSU or Florida, and is 5-0 overall. They have earned a higher ranking based on this year's play.

I still think it would be better for there to be a committee that looks at games closely and isn't forced to come up with ranking 8-10 hours after the last games are played and that aren't journalists or coaches, but instead people who are paid to watch all the games and judge them.

but i'm actually focusing on both. have you watched Vandy play? they're awful offensively. they've gotten lucky breaks. they've played one legit road game, and that was against an SEC West bottom-feeder. and i ain't sure Auburn's that damn good either. if you just base it on being 5-0 and 3-0, then why isn't BYU #5? Boise #6? more goes into it than just your record, and that's as it should be.

again, basing it on their actual performances, i'd say they're around the 13th best team in the country right now. and in about 4-5 weeks they'll be unranked so it doesn't make a hill of beans anyway.

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:46 pm

chap22 wrote:but i'm actually focusing on both. have you watched Vandy play? they're awful offensively. they've gotten lucky breaks. they've played one legit road game, and that was against an SEC West bottom-feeder. and i ain't sure Auburn's that damn good either. if you just base it on being 5-0 and 3-0, then why isn't BYU #5? Boise #6? more goes into it than just your record, and that's as it should be.

again, basing it on their actual performances, i'd say they're around the 13th best team in the country right now. and in about 4-5 weeks they'll be unranked so it doesn't make a hill of beans anyway.

This is probably true. Also I think BYU is the 5th or 6th best team right now. I think Boise hasn't beaten anyone great, but they should be in the top 20 right now.

For me I don't see who Florida or OSU has beaten that they don't seriously outclass and both have bad losses (Florida for losing to a bad team and OSU for getting crushed by the only decent team they've played). I don't think either of them have shown anything impressive this season.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:This is probably true. Also I think BYU is the 5th or 6th best team right now. I think Boise hasn't beaten anyone great, but they should be in the top 20 right now.

For me I don't see who Florida or OSU has beaten that they don't seriously outclass and both have bad losses (Florida for losing to a bad team and OSU for getting crushed by the only decent team they've played). I don't think either of them have shown anything impressive this season.

oh, they haven't. but they're still better football teams than Vandy.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum