Wednesday, December 7, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Better than Bleeding Cool by that much."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Book De-Stanking Thread (formerly "ew")

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 am

I bought a used book yesterday and it smells like cigarette butts. :?

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:06 am

Fucking hell that's awful!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 am

Ugh, when I bought the thing, I thought the smell was coming from the ratty ass old dude who was standing near me. Guess I learned my lesson for blaming old white trashy people for bad cigarette smells.

I'm gonna put it in a bag with some baking soda and see if that helps.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:55 am

Did you buy The Gentleman's Guide To Cigar Smoking? If yes, you can only blame yourself.

Zenguru

Staff Writer

Postby Zenguru » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 am

That's what you get for buying wholesale from Hawk's basement.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am

Tobacco smoke is deadly for books, the soft fibers in the paper soak it up and there's not much you can do to get the stink completely out. It's a killer for values, an otherwise valuable book that has smoke damage is devalued by it often to the point of worthlessness.

You should return it for a full refund.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:32 am

Keb wrote:Ugh, when I bought the thing, I thought the smell was coming from the ratty ass old dude who was standing near me. Guess I learned my lesson for blaming old white trashy people for bad cigarette smells.

I'm gonna put it in a bag with some baking soda and see if that helps.

Stick a dryer sheet in there too.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 am

I know the felling (and smell). I opened one of those group coupon/flier pieces of mail last week and it was like Pall Mall, Virginia Slim and Camel all decided to explode out from the envelope.

I doubled bag every thing and then proceeded to wash my hands for a very long while as the stink stuck. :smt013

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:17 am

It was Uncanny X-Force vol 3 the Dark Angel Saga. I almost bought the Gentleman's Guide to Cigar Smoking but decided against it.

Gonna wait a bit with the de-stankifying. If it doesn't work I'll just pitch the book and buy a new copy.

LoganRSA

FROGMAN

Postby LoganRSA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
Stick a dryer sheet in there too.

Dryer sheets a good idea, but chances are good it's toast unless you want to invest in a recovery process that costs a lot more than the book is worth. We had a fire at the library and even though the collection wasn't burned, the smoke saturation was incredible. It took months of putting them in special ozone chambers to get them to the point where the public could use them, and the smell never went away entirely. Cigarette smoke is even worse, imo.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am

Log-Man wrote:
Dryer sheets a good idea, but chances are good it's toast unless you want to invest in a recovery process that costs a lot more than the book is worth. We had a fire at the library and even though the collection wasn't burned, the smoke saturation was incredible. It took months of putting them in special ozone chambers to get them to the point where the public could use them, and the smell never went away entirely. Cigarette smoke is even worse, imo.

Yeah, if you look at my post above that one I agree it's nearly hopeless. He might be able to get it to a more tolerable level of odor is all. Like I said, I would have returned it. Passing off smoky books is a real no-no for booksellers.

Many amazing book collections have been made into junk by being stored in a smoke-filled room.

Pink_Orchid

The Virgin Connie Swail

Postby Pink_Orchid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Agree with the others, the stank doesn't go away. I collect a lot of large hardcovers books on various topics. One is an encyclopedia of American cars I read a lot. Horrible smoke reek. I have to open it to a page and let it air out a bit before I can handle it. Unless it is a rarer book that would be expensive to replace, chuck it or donate to Goodwill.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

So I take it you finally quit?

CountD

Undead Member

Postby CountD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:04 pm

smoking anything other than the kind is really gross, and even that can get smelly. the kind of smell that sticks in the back of your throat!

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:31 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So I take it you finally quit?

Yah!

leave a comment with facebook