Advertisement

The Dresden Files

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Strict31 wrote:Well, Butcher just addressed what I thought was the biggest logical flaw in the book so far;
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Harry's inability to use magic as a ghost. Since magic is knowledge (memory), energy and will, and ghosts are nothing but the same, he should be shitting out magic. I was about to rail against this when Harry finally purchased a clue.


I saw some flaws with the ghost things but by the end I was satisfied with all of them.
Image

Advertisement

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Harry made a Jack Burton reference! Butcher is soooooo one of us.


:-D I thought of you when I read that.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Speaking of which, I finished reading his Spider-Man novel last week. Not bad! :)

There was one nitpick I had that bugged me though. There's a subplot in it where MJ, in order to have a certain role in a play in Jersey, has to get a car to get there regularly, and she doesn't have a license. So Peter helps her study, teaching her. Now, Spidey has consistently been portrayed as never learning to drive, that wasn't something Bendis made up for New Avengers, and I would have thought Butcher, with all of his Spidey love, woulda known that....


I'd like to read that.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:25 pm

So here are my thoughts.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I totally called Demonreach keeping him alive. But hadn’t figured out how he’d get there. Really cool epilogue but what Uriel said to Harry is almost the exact same thing McCoy said to him at the end of Changes, I guess Harry’s too thick headed that he needed to be told twice.

Butters was awesome! I don’t think he’d had such a big role since Dead Beat.

I’m worried about Murphy after messing up that vampire. Why would she have her there anyway?

I’m also worried about Bob, we don’t know if he won his battle and besides that, he’s stuck in the Nevernever. I remember him being terrified of going there before.

I loved Daniel being a part of Murphy’s team. Ever since the run in with those goat things I thought he’d end up being a regular but don’t know if he’ll get the sword.

With all those ghost running around I thought, “hey, someone could perform the Darkhallow.” And sure enough they did it. At first I thought they Grey Ghost was Bianca but then I remember it couldn’t be her with being a vampire and all. I figured out the Corpsetaker was the bad guy but I couldn’t remember her name.

With the flashbacks, I’m finally convinced that Cowl is Justin. With what he said to Harry in the flashback it felt like he’s one of the founders of the Black Council. And like the Corpsetaker and others the bad guys seem to get a second wind.:D

I’m kind of bummed we didn’t get any news about the White Council, last we heard of them that Greek dude went nuts and was arresting wizards.

That’s all I can think of now, might post more as I think about it.
Image

Jack Burton
User avatar
biny little tird
 
Posts: 12226
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 45 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Braintree, MA


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Jack Burton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:53 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Just finished it myself. I figured Kincaid had to be the one who killed Harry but I didn't know why. Now I do and man Harry is a good guy but he makes some dumb ass choices sometimes.

I'm curious if we're going to be done with Chicago for a while now. Seems the next book will be in Artic Tor maybe? I wonder if we'll finally meet Titania?

Dragavon
User avatar
Podcaster
 
Posts: 18507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 am
Location: NJ
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Dragavon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 pm

The next book will evidently be called Cold Days, and it's hinted that it starts of with Harry going to Arctis Tor to start his duties as Winter Knight.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Just finished it myself. I figured Kincaid had to be the one who killed Harry but I didn't know why. Now I do and man Harry is a good guy but he makes some dumb ass choices sometimes.

I'm curious if we're going to be done with Chicago for a while now. Seems the next book will be in Artic Tor maybe? I wonder if we'll finally meet Titania?


[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I do hope we see a Harry that thinks things through from now on.

I'm curious how much time will have passed between books. I think Harry will make Demonreach his new home so he can hang around Chicago.

Also, I hope it comes out in the spring.
Image

misac
User avatar
Outhouse Editor
 
Posts: 35043
Likes: 250 posts
Liked in: 172 posts
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:49 pm
Location: {nomultithumb}


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby misac » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Some more thoughts.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I can’t believe it took Justine this long to find a loophole to hook up with Thomas. Ten years!

I’ve grown to really like Leah with the last two books. I like when she acts like a child when she’s talking with Harry.

In the part when Harry was rushing to avoid the dawn, I thought he’d hide out at Mac’s but using his grave was hilariously brilliant.

I liked the secret service at Michael’s house and when Forthill almost died. Awesome stuff! And I was so worried we wouldn’t see Mouse again.
Image

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27886
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Rockman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 pm

misac wrote:So here are my thoughts.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I totally called Demonreach keeping him alive. But hadn’t figured out how he’d get there. Really cool epilogue but what Uriel said to Harry is almost the exact same thing McCoy said to him at the end of Changes, I guess Harry’s too thick headed that he needed to be told twice.

Butters was awesome! I don’t think he’d had such a big role since Dead Beat.

I’m worried about Murphy after messing up that vampire. Why would she have her there anyway?

I’m also worried about Bob, we don’t know if he won his battle and besides that, he’s stuck in the Nevernever. I remember him being terrified of going there before.

I loved Daniel being a part of Murphy’s team. Ever since the run in with those goat things I thought he’d end up being a regular but don’t know if he’ll get the sword.

With all those ghost running around I thought, “hey, someone could perform the Darkhallow.” And sure enough they did it. At first I thought they Grey Ghost was Bianca but then I remember it couldn’t be her with being a vampire and all. I figured out the Corpsetaker was the bad guy but I couldn’t remember her name.

With the flashbacks, I’m finally convinced that Cowl is Justin. With what he said to Harry in the flashback it felt like he’s one of the founders of the Black Council. And like the Corpsetaker and others the bad guys seem to get a second wind.:D

I’m kind of bummed we didn’t get any news about the White Council, last we heard of them that Greek dude went nuts and was arresting wizards.

That’s all I can think of now, might post more as I think about it.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I've been thinking that Justin is cowl for a long time now. It makes a lot of sense. Especially since he had bob and would have the knowledge of the darkhallow.

Lash appeared in this book any clues who though?

No clue who whispered into Harry's ear.

Dragavon
User avatar
Podcaster
 
Posts: 18507
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:35 am
Location: NJ
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Dragavon » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 pm

Rockman wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I've been thinking that Justin is cowl for a long time now. It makes a lot of sense. Especially since he had bob and would have the knowledge of the darkhallow.

Lash appeared in this book any clues who though?

No clue who whispered into Harry's ear.

Are you talking originally? If so I thought it was the Devil or at least one of the fallen angels.
Image

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27886
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Rockman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm

So I finished this book today. At first I didn't dig it, but by the end it was pretty awesome. Light spoilers

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Butcher committed a big no no with his character, he made him impotent to do anything to stop the events unfolding in the story. However this was necessary to make Harry look at his actions in the past and weigh them against what is actually smart vs. what he felt he needed to do that at that particular time. It allows him, when he finally does get some power, to look at things a different way.

Part of the problem I had with the book initially is that the main "plot" or "plots" are really side shows to what is really important in the book. Baldy and Corpsetaker's plans are really inconsequential to the point of the book, which is a chance for Harry to have some major development forward, a chance to see how much he meant to the chicago community and his friends, and of course an advancement of the megaplot that has been boiling in the book from the very beginning.

The supporting cast was excellent as ever, it was nice to see a small nod to Thomas too. Mouse is probably my favorite. I want a big hairy dog now. Bummed we didn't get some awesome Michael action.

Not sure where next book will take Harry's relationships. I'm hoping he will interact with Murphy, Butters, Molly and the rest. But we might have to wait a while before that happens.

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27886
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:35 am

Has anyone heard anything about the next book? I know it's supposed to be titled cold days, but that's it. No release information, nothing.

I was really hoping he'd get back to his April/May rotation with this book but I imagine that will not be the case. :cry:

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19938
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 340 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 am

Rockman wrote:Has anyone heard anything about the next book? I know it's supposed to be titled cold days, but that's it. No release information, nothing.

I was really hoping he'd get back to his April/May rotation with this book but I imagine that will not be the case. :cry:

Rumor is June 1st.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Rockman
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 27886
Likes: 144 posts
Liked in: 497 posts
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:25 pm
Formerly: AMS


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Rockman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 am

I hope that's true, generally he'll release chapters on his website early.

avengingtitan
User avatar
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE
 
Posts: 19938
Likes: 25 posts
Liked in: 340 posts
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 am
Location: Hershey, PA


Re: The Dresden Files

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am

Rockman wrote:I hope that's true, generally he'll release chapters on his website early.

Yep he always has so they should start showing up around may.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 36 guests

Advertisement