Advertisement

The Dresden Files

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: The Dresden Files

Postby Rockman » Tue May 27, 2014 6:16 pm

I'm still working on a book right now. I really don't like taking breaks but I may have to for this.

Advertisement

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1003 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:32 pm

misac wrote:Here's the synopsis:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard, is about to have a very bad day….

Because as Winter Knight to the Queen of Air and Darkness, Harry never knows what the scheming Mab might want him to do. Usually, it’s something awful.

He doesn’t know the half of it….

Mab has just traded Harry’s skills to pay off one of her debts. And now he must help a group of supernatural villains—led by one of Harry’s most dreaded and despised enemies, Nicodemus Archleone—to break into the highest-security vault in town so that they can then access the highest-security vault in the Nevernever.

It’s a smash-and-grab job to recover the literal Holy Grail from the vaults of the greatest treasure horde in the supernatural world—which belongs to the one and only Hades, Lord of the freaking Underworld and generally unpleasant character. Worse, Dresden suspects that there is another game afoot that no one is talking about. And he’s dead certain that Nicodemus has no intention of allowing any of his crew to survive the experience. Especially Harry.

Dresden’s always been tricky, but he’s going to have to up his backstabbing game to survive this mess—assuming his own allies don’t end up killing him before his enemies get the chance….

Sounds amazing! I’m worried for Harry, bad things happen whenever Nicodemus shows up. :o :-(

186 pages in, we find out what the parasite in Harry's head is.

Wow. :shock: :shock: :shock: :smt017

While I'm not totally thrown off by what they're after... yeah, this floored me.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 pm

Charity... is not going to be pleased.

;)

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Just finished this book

It was excellent

spoilers for the whole shebang

-Disappointed that Ashcer ended up biting it. But that was a real surprise none the less

-Some really emotional moments in this volume. Harry finally meeting and speaking to his daughter was a real tear jerker

-Waldo Butters, the first Jewish night of the cross :smt005

-Really enjoyed Goodman Grey's character I hope he returns in future volumes

-I really thought they would finish Nicodemus off for good this time. I wonder what his next play is going to be.

-For the first time in forever the a Dresden books ends on a mostly happy note. I'm really glad.

HNutz likes this post.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 404 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

God I need to finish this book. Being a stay at home dad I find I have no time to read, unless the kid is napping. I'm lucky to get an hour a day any more.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:52 pm

Rockman wrote:Just finished this book

It was excellent

-Disappointed that Ashcer ended up biting it. But that was a real surprise none the less

-Some really emotional moments in this volume. Harry finally meeting and speaking to his daughter was a real tear jerker

-I really thought they would finish Nicodemus off for good this time. I wonder what his next play is going to be.

-For the first time in forever the a Dresden books ends on a mostly happy note. I'm really glad.

See, you typed "Jewish" but did you mean... "Jedi"? ;)

Rockman likes this post.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Lol

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby misac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:39 pm

SPOILERS!

Just realized I hadn’t posted my thoughts on Skin Game.

Parkour! Cracked me up everytime.

Favorite moment was Harry meeting with Maggie. Really teared up. And when I finished the book I looked it up again and reread it and saved the spot so I can read it again.

I’m kind of bummed I find Harry a little dislikeable in this. Some jokes/comments he makes fall so flat I don’t know if he’s really trying to sound cool or he wants to come off like a dork. Or maybe I’m just overthinking things. But there’s also when he’s just being a contrarian with Mab.

Speaking of Mab, I’ve grown to really like her in the last couple of books. Seeing her dealing with the Outsiders and being like a hundred moves ahead of everyone, so fucking awesome. I’ll be so sad when she and Harry go at it.

Harry meeting another god was great and Hades comparing Harry to himself was pretty cool. And I always enjoy Donar Vaddarung making an appearance.

I predicted Nicodemus will be Harry’s final villain but I was really hoping would finish him off forever in this one. I really thought he would too.

Could have called this book Changes 2 with it looking like Harry starting fatherhood with his two girls.

EDIT-Also, I want a short story with Maggie and Mouse’s first monster hunting adventure!

EDIT 2-There was a prisoner Harry was talking to in the beginning that has me very intrigued on who he was. I’d guess Merlin based on nothing.

HNutz likes this post.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 pm

Rockman wrote:Just finished this book

It was excellent

Yeah, Ascher was a cool character. Makes me think of the librarian character from a while ago, and turned out Lasciel made her up. I would have liked Ascher to make it, I love redemption stories.

Oh yeah! Butters a Knight of the Cross. The Jewish thing would have been funnier if Sanya wasn’t already an atheist Knight of the Cross. Who knew Butters would be such a heavy hitter after his first appearance.

HNutz likes this post.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Truthfully I wouldn't like it if Nick was the final boss of the series. I feel like it has been building to something bigger and more personal.

I still contend that Cowl is Justin DuMorne and if that is true may be good for the end.

HNutz likes this post.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Rockman wrote:
Truthfully I wouldn't like it if Nick was the final boss of the series. I feel like it has been building to something bigger and more personal.

I still contend that Cowl is Justin DuMorne and if that is true may be good for the end.

It feels like Nicodemus always gets the best of Harry and he goes relatively unscathed. It’s like he’s being saved to get his comeuppance for the end.

Agree on Cowl. If Dumorne isn't Cowl I'll be surprised, but I'm sure he'll show up regardless.

HNutz likes this post.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Ultimately I think Nicodemus will have to be brought down by a Knight of the Cross.

Or he'll finally cross the line and Uriel will be able to smite him 8)

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum