Advertisement

The Following Things Suck

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 am

L'Indépendant wrote:Almost. I feel like they get the ire that Folgers and Maxwell House ought to be getting. I hate chains, but they're one of the few places I know where you can work 20 hours and get health care benefits, and, for a corporation, they've a better track record than almost everybody in their league when it comes to environmental sustainability. Lastly, they buy more Fair Trade coffee than anybody else, by volume. If they were to raise it by 5% they'd sap the world market for Fair Trade coffee, meaning we need more development in this area to appease the middle-to-upper class white activists who give a shit for the 2-4 years in college they campaign before taking jobs with whomever and stop campaigning.

I know people who worked at Starbucks in college and said it was a great company to work for and they really take care of their employees.

What I hate about Starbucks is that there's one every 10 fucking yards in New York :evil:

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:20 am

Plus, their coffee isn't very good and they aggressively market themselves so as to put small cafés out of business.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:25 am

nietoperz wrote:Plus, their coffee isn't very good and they aggressively market themselves so as to put small cafés out of business.

I don't really know how it is in other places, but Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are pretty much at war for market share in NY. So good luck if you own a small shop.

I will admit I like their iced coffee, though :oops:

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:27 am

Agreed on all counts. Still, they're like Bush - occasionally they do something good and should be complimented on it.

But I'd like to see them all go away, really, and for them to stick to the original joint in Pike Place Market. :-D

Their coffee is shit for one reason - branding. They need to have the same flavor for Cafe Estima (their only Fair Trade flavor) or whatever flavor in Shanghai as they do in Oslo or NYC, so as not to disappoint consumers. So they pour a bunch of different beans into one roaster and create blends.

I hate blends. I prefer single origins - they've better flavor.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:00 pm

nietoperz wrote:Plus, their coffee isn't very good and they aggressively market themselves so as to put small cafés out of business.

And what's up with the Ethos brand of water they sell there? It's not really ethical to drink bottled water... why would they let people make that illogical jump?

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:01 pm

toolverine wrote:And what's up with the Ethos brand of water they sell there? It's not really ethical to drink bottled water... why would they let people make that illogical jump?

Because some of the proceeds go to bringing clean water to poor areas in Africa.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:Because some of the proceeds go to bringing clean water to poor areas in Africa.

Right, but that doesn't justify the fact that toxins from the plastic leech into soil, which ends up poisoning human and animal life. The point is not that they donate x amount to bring water to people, it's that it's that the notion is counter intuitive as a whole.

L Independant
25 To Life

Postby L Independant » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm

toolverine wrote:Right, but that doesn't justify the fact that toxins from the plastic leech into soil, which ends up poisoning human and animal life. The point is not that they donate x amount to bring water to people, it's that it's that the notion is counter intuitive as a whole.
Another market-based 'solution.' Charity comes and goes, so I think people are turning to market-based ideas for development - people will buy bottled water for the foreseeable future, so the idea is to use some of that money, cancer and pollution be damned.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Postby MoneyMelon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 pm

toolverine wrote:Right, but that doesn't justify the fact that toxins from the plastic leech into soil, which ends up poisoning human and animal life. The point is not that they donate x amount to bring water to people, it's that it's that the notion is counter intuitive as a whole.

People are going to buy bottled water either way.

At least some of the money (although very little, when you really look into it) goes to charity.

It's probably better than buying bottled water from other companies because at least in this case, some of the money goes to a good cause.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:45 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:People are going to buy bottled water either way.

At least some of the money (although very little, when you really look into it) goes to charity.

It's probably better than buying bottled water from other companies because at least in this case, some of the money goes to a good cause.

It just goes to show how little people go out of the way to think about what their money is purchasing. I think the LifeStraw is like 30 bucks, so there are better ideas out there.

Carrie

Postby Carrie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:50 pm

toolverine wrote:It just goes to show how little people go out of the way to think about what their money is purchasing. I think the LifeStraw is like 30 bucks, so there are better ideas out there.

I paid like $15 bucks for my PuR faucet filter and $27 for the Brita pitcher that goes in my fridge. Replacement filters are about $20 for a pack of 4, so aside from being more eco-friendly, it's also a much better value.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Carrie wrote:I paid like $15 bucks for my PuR faucet filter and $27 for the Brita pitcher that goes in my fridge. Replacement filters are about $20 for a pack of 4, so aside from being more eco-friendly, it's also a much better value.

That's not exactly an apt comparison, but I didn't really explain the concept or the (two?) products. Check it out.

http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw.htm

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:30 am

toolverine wrote:FFIX... I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me an Roman numerals right now...

FF 9 is brilliant! You clearly meant to say that 8 sucked.

Plus I own a nice set of taps in my home. I drink their water in my cups of tea. The only time I get bottled water is in countries where I can't drink the normal stuff.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:39 am

Zero wrote:FF 9 is brilliant! You clearly meant to say that 8 sucked.

Plus I own a nice set of taps in my home. I drink their water in my cups of tea. The only time I get bottled water is in countries where I can't drink the normal stuff.

Are you on crack?

FF9 was ok, but 8 in no way sucked. It suffered from having the unfortunate problem of following the amazing FF7, but it was awesome.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 am

It had a meh plot and I didn't like any of the characters. Suck is probably a harsh word for it but of all the FFs I've played it's probably my least favourite.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum