Advertisement

The Fourth Week of the 2008 College Football Season

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 am

USC has been doing this for the past couple years. They drop a game to a team they are better than and it costs them a shot at the national title. What are you going to do? They should drop in the rankings, but if they fall behind Ohio State, that's just another reason the voters are dumb.

Anyways, it's hard to be surprised when a team does the same thing every year, but it's still a little surprising they dropped the game to Oregon St since they lost to them a couple years ago and people were talking about that all week. You'd think that would cause them to focus even harder on this week's game and that the let down would have been against someone else.

Advertisement

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Liked in: 0 post

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:10 pm

chap22 wrote:the Pac-10: making the Big 10 look even WORSE one game at a time...

I'd say that, at least this year, the Big 10 is much, much better than the Pac 10.

PSU 45 Oregon St 14
Oregon St 27 USC 20

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:13 pm

twoheads wrote:I'd say that, at least this year, the Big 10 is much, much better than the Pac 10.

PSU 45 Oregon St 14
Oregon St 27 USC 20

Or you could do the opposite and say USC crushed OSU and if OSU beats anyone in the Big 10 that makes them awful.

The Pac-10 is down this year, but the Big 10 is no better. Both conferences suck, I'd take the Pac-10 still though. All the MAC teams holding their own against the Big 10 is what makes my mind up for me.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Or you could do the opposite and say USC crushed OSU and if OSU beats anyone in the Big 10 that makes them awful.

The Pac-10 is down this year, but the Big 10 is no better. Both conferences suck, I'd take the Pac-10 still though. All the MAC teams holding their own against the Big 10 is what makes my mind up for me.

I think the real lesson to be taken from this is that Penn St just got really scary. The game against Illinois tomorrow should tell us a lot.

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:19 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Or you could do the opposite and say USC crushed OSU and if OSU beats anyone in the Big 10 that makes them awful.

Yeah, you have to do at least a few games when you compare conferences like that. Just because one team had a good/bad day or one team stacks up well against another doesn't mean much.
Dragon

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:21 pm

twoheads wrote:I think the real lesson to be taken from this is that Penn St just got really scary. The game against Illinois tomorrow should tell us a lot.

I think Penn St will have a really good record, and may even win the Big 10, but they will drop a couple games and will probably lose in a bowl game. I wouldn't mind seeing a Penn St/USC Rose Bowl.

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:30 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:Anyways, it's hard to be surprised when a team does the same thing every year, but it's still a little surprising they dropped the game to Oregon St since they lost to them a couple years ago and people were talking about that all week. You'd think that would cause them to focus even harder on this week's game and that the let down would have been against someone else.

OU's in the same spot this week with TCU tomorrow night. Pretty much the only topic here this week has been the loss to TCU in 2005. Hopefully the Sooners come out focused and don't screw around, but I think TCU is way better than they're ranked at 24 and they might have the best defense we'll play this season. Not having Granger in the middle on defense to stop the run makes me nervous as hell.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:36 pm

amlah6 wrote:The Pac-10 is as weak as the Big 11 this year, USC should have been undefeated going into the BCS.

I hate watching the SuC lovefest in the media as much or more than anyone, but they have been one of the most consistently dominant teams over the past 6 years.

I don't think there's been a dominant team in all of college football in at least 3 years. USC was hanging onto its Reggie Bush-era rep when there was no way it was that good.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:00 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:They should drop in the rankings, but if they fall behind Ohio State, that's just another reason the voters are dumb.

Ohio State lost to the #1 team in the country AWAY.

USC lost to an unranked team.

USC SHOULD drop just under OSU, IMO.

Now.. that's under the system as it is. If we're talking overall talent, then you're right. But if we're gonna go by how the system has been run for years now, USC should be under OSU.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Chris wrote:Ohio State lost to the #1 team in the country AWAY.

Now.. that's under the system as it is. If we're talking overall talent, then you're right. But if we're gonna go by how the system has been run for years now, USC should be under OSU.

Wtf are you smoking, grandpa?

AaronW
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby AaronW » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:02 pm

That makes no sense since the team you were talking about that dominated OSU was USC. USC should be ahead of OSU since the slapped them around like bitches.

D
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby D » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Black Kryptonite wrote:Wtf are you smoking, grandpa?
He knows the system sucks but as long as it benefits OSU it's allright.
Dragon

rdrsfn82
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby rdrsfn82 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I care more about the head to head matchup. OSU lost to USC therefore USC is better. That's the way I look at things.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Black Kryptonite wrote:Wtf are you smoking, grandpa?

Think about it.

USC beat an OSU team that was sandwiched between two bye weeks on their schedule, and then lost to an unranked team.

Ohio State lost to the #1 team at USC.

You really don't see my point?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:04 pm

rdrsfn82 wrote:I care more about the head to head matchup. OSU lost to USC therefore USC is better. That's the way I look at things.

Well, the issue isn't which team is better. That's clearly not how the system operates. Like I said, if we're talking talent, yes.. USC is better. No question. By far.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum