Advertisement

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Postby Zero » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:37 pm

After a bum-numbing three hours in the cinema this afternoon, I can conclusively say that this movie will be loved by many people, providing they don't go in expecting another po-faced walkathon in Middle Earth. For while our characters start out on a walk from the Shire, walk to Rivendell, walk through an underground kingdom full of goblins, and get picked up by some Eagles at the end (75 Year-Old spoiler alert!) this is a decidedly different beast.

For one thing it's a lot funnier.

Much like the source material, The Hobbit is a light hearted affair, with only a few hints at the rising darkness that will surely colour the other two films of this unexpected trilogy. The dwarves are not a particularly serious folk, Thorn Oakenshield apart, and when 90% of your cast (including the lead) are comic relief then you're going to get a certain levity of tone aren't you? It all works nicely, and there was only one moment where I could tell Peter Jackson wanted me to laugh but I didn't. Because I'm not 8 and a room full of burping dwarves is not really what I'm about any more. Comic highlight for me is likely Sylvester McCoy's Radagast, birdshit hair and all, who makes even the films spookiest scene an unexpected journey to Dol Guldur pretty light.

It's not all fun and games though, there are baddies galore here. Much like in Fellowship of the Ring Peter Jackson has given us a named orc to chase our heroes around. This time at least he picked a pre-existing character although Azog is a fairly bland foe especially compared to Bert, Bill & Tom the trolls and The Great Goblin all of whom are brilliant. Also there's Gollum. I don't need to tell you good he is do I? Smaug and The Necromancer barely get a look in, but the looks we get are a nice taste of things to come.

Changes were made to give the story a sense of conclusion at the end, and to set up the sub-plots to come with The White Council in Mirkwood but neither felt too jarring. The prologue is a nice length and adds a bit of context the Dwarves quest and Radagast is a delight throughout. The best scenes are those left largely unaltered (Riddles in the dark, The Unexpected Party and the Trolls) but there remains one very compelling reason to trim some of this down and that's the epic running time. I can watch the LotR extended editions as often as I like, but they were kept to DVD because no way are kids going to be able to sit through that whole thing without getting itchy feet.

Yikes, long post.

TL;DR is that it's like a long funny version on Fellowship of the Ring and for that I loved it. More please.

(I saw it in 2D and 24fps, so don't ask me about the other stuff. Honestly it sounds like I got the better deal there.)

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 309 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:59 pm

My boyfriend saw this last night. He didn't think it held up to the previous movies because of how light-hearted it was and all the (what he called) one-liners and in-jokes.

A matter of personal preferences, I guess.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

TerriG
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post

Postby TerriG » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:29 pm

I personally loved the movie as well. Whatever padding Jackson used to fill up the time was appropriate and actually tied in some of the stuff from Tolkien's other addendums.

I have yet to see the 48fps version myself, but I hear it looks "fake" from some friends -- I can believe that because when I play my own video games at a high frame rate, I add a motion blur if the game allows it. That usually makes it look more "pleasant." However I'll probably wait around and see it again with HFR, and give a real opinion on the matter when I do.

IvCNuB4 wrote:My boyfriend saw this last night. He didn't think it held up to the previous movies because of how light-hearted it was and all the (what he called) one-liners and in-jokes.

A matter of personal preferences, I guess.

The Hobbit was much lighter fare than LotR, so that's appropriate. In fact this movie is much darker than it "should be."

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Cernunnos » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:06 pm

I enjoyed The Hobbit when I saw it last night. As comical as Radagast was, it was a pleasant surprise to see that he was fairly badass. I loved the rabbit sled. :lol:
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:06 pm

I saw the 48fps HFR version last night in IMAX.

It's not fake at all. In fact, it's incredibly real.. too real. It works against the movie. Kind of ruins the suspension of disbelief in setting up this setting as being Middle Earth.

It really feels like you're watching the actors performing the movie directly infront of you, like a play or something.

It's unbelievably real.

I don't know if a fantasy movie was the right choice to experiment with it, but from a technical standpoint, it's amazing. Same jaw-dropping reaction as Avatar's 3D got from me.

The movie itself was pretty good. A solid B. The first half is boring and takes forever to get rolling, but once it does and everyone is on the road, it's good. Thorin is awesome. Martin Freeman is awesome. The Gollum riddle scene is the best part of the movie, followed by the rock giants and the Thorin/Azog/Bilbo scene.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Ok, can I get a show of hands on who else loved the rabbit sled?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 pm

I'm sorry but I hated every aspect of Radagast.

Cernunnos
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Cernunnos » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Zero wrote:Ok, can I get a show of hands on who else loved the rabbit sled?

I liked it. The only thing I thought was odd about Radagast was the dried bird shit he had in his hair.
When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Radagast was over the top, but certainly fit the tone of the movie. I had no problems with him. Wasn't any more ridiculous than the Dwarf dinner at Bilbo's house at the beginning.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Bonus points for Radagast being the 7th Doctor.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Chris wrote:Radagast was over the top, but certainly fit the tone of the movie. I had no problems with him. Wasn't any more ridiculous than the Dwarf dinner at Bilbo's house at the beginning.

I hated him because his scenes were pointless to the actual story of the Hobbit, and he had a sled pulled by friggin rabbits. :smt011

jeremy
Staff Writer

Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 pm

I saw this yesterday with Angela, we both enjoyed it.

I expected it to be more light-hearted going in and kind of knew what I was in for, so I didn't have expectations that it would be something it wasn't.

I like the world, the journey and the story and all that stuff, so to me it was great.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Rockman wrote:
I hated him because his scenes were pointless to the actual story of the Hobbit

Not really. It dealt with the Necromancer initially, and then directly impacted the main plot once they met up.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:38 pm

Chris wrote:I don't know if a fantasy movie was the right choice to experiment with it, but from a technical standpoint, it's amazing.

Just got back from a 48fps showing with friends (Saw it in 2d the first go round).
48fps is not for narrative film- at least not yet. It seems like they had trouble lighting it well when indoors. Also, things moved slightly too quickly and it really bothered my eyes. (It bothered my eyes generally. I got out of the theater over and hour ago and am still feeling strained.). That said, the out doors looked incredible in the higher frame rate. I'd love to see a documentary like Cave of Forgotten Dreams or the next Attenborough nature film in this format.

General Hobbit thoughts- fuck the first 20 minutes. It was boring and I really had a hard time stomaching the LOTR fanwank. Oh gee, it's the day of the party and Frodo gets to hang the sign and go wait for Gandalf! It feels like Jackson brought Geoff Johns in to work on the prologue (also, why the fuck hang the sign? No one has bothered you yet)
Martin Freeman was great
Does anyone have any idea which Dwarf was which? I've known all their names since I was 8, but could only place half of them if I was given pictures from the film.
Can this be the last movie ever that has a slow motion "Nooooo!" or an operatic chorus at the opening of a battle? Those are past cliche.
I enjoyed Radagast. Poor little hedgehog.
The goblin escape went on way too long. I didn't really care and it reminded me too much of Moria, which had a lot more weight to it. Would have gladly traded dwarves running on bridges for more Bilbo/Gollum.
I'm torn over my feelings of how much this movie was about Thorin.
Riddles in the Dark was amazing. A perfect blend of funny, tense, and creepy as hell. Exceeded my expectations and is worth the price of admission.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

Just saw it and LOVED IT!

Cannot wait for part 2.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum